MapleOne

Worlds greatest Dad'n
Jul 19, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario
www.MapleOne.com
Never-Seen: Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Click here to see the pictures

Make sure to read the captions below

That many years later and it still scares the hell out of me. It's so sad that we need to resort to war and death to resolve our differences. :-(

Reminds me of this quote
A ''just war'' is hospitable to every self-deception on the part of those waging it, none more than the certainty of virtue, under whose shelter every abomination can be committed with a clear conscience.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
yes, i've seen pictures of that catastrophe many many times.

it was horrible, but the one thing that does bother me is, the u.s. is blamed
for that bombing, (which they did it), as though nothing else happened, and they
just decided to do it for no apparent reason, and that isn't so.

war is horrible from all sides, I hate it, but the japanese are just as responsible for
their people dieing in that bombing as the u.s., as they would 'not' surrender, because
of stupid 'honour' stuff, and stubbornly refused to do so, (as it was time for them to surrender),
so rather than continue that horrible war right through mainland japan, the u.s. made the plan
to drop the bombs, horrible, yes, but did the war immediately end, yes.

truman made a decision that no other leader has 'ever' made, the bomb was new, never used before
during war time, so be it. The u.s. spent much time in japan after that incident, negotiated a
surrender, (even then it was difficult, as they promised to leave the emperor in place to lead
his people later), and the u.s. rehabilitated japan for some time, created a democracy, and over
time, they became allies.

MapleOne

Worlds greatest Dad'n
Jul 19, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario
www.MapleOne.com
I won't argue with that

However, I think the intent of the pictures is more to emphasize that we cannot allow this to happen again. The two sides have got to resolve their differences before it gets to this.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
yes, i've seen pictures of that catastrophe many many times.

it was horrible, but the one thing that does bother me is, the u.s. is blamed
for that bombing, (which they did it), as though nothing else happened, and they
just decided to do it for no apparent reason, and that isn't so.

I don't remember seeing anybody claim it was done for no apparent reason.... they had their reasons, I just felt they were grossly unjustified and dropping atomic bombs of civilian populated areas was over kill when at least dropping the bombs of an air base or naval convoy or some other military compound would have given the Japanese the exact same message/effect to force them to surrender.... oh well, what's done is done.

war is horrible from all sides, I hate it, but the japanese are just as responsible for their people dieing in that bombing as the u.s., as they would 'not' surrender, because of stupid 'honour' stuff, and stubbornly refused to do so, (as it was time for them to surrender), so rather than continue that horrible war right through mainland japan, the u.s. made the plan to drop the bombs, horrible, yes, but did the war immediately end, yes.
I always find it funny when people argue that they were dropped because Japan simply wouldn't surrender.

When your home is being attacked/invaded during war time, would you suddenly surrender? Did the British surrender when Germany came after them? If Russia decided to take some of Canadian territory for their own up in the arctic, or worse, invade Canada and try and take us as their own, would you accept our government's surrender and simply give up?

If we decided to fight to the bitter end, would Russia be justified in nuking us all out of existence, including women and children?

Sure one can reply back that Japan started the war with the US and thus had it coming to them, but that would suggest that using nuclear arms against someone is ok in certain situations..... in my opinion, it's never ok..... but I understand that's not always a popular stance to take.

You're fighting another country, you have them cornered and on the losing side of the war.... you demand that they surrender unconditionally, give them no other alternatives towards ending the conflict or reaching a peace deal.... and they refuse..... Do you nuke them back to the stone ages, or do you try and show some shred of humanity to them and reach a compromise that would ultimately end the conflict besides resorting to more violence and death?

The issue with the Japanese was that yes, they wanted to have a little shred of dignity left for them and didn't want to have their country occupied and taken completely out of their own control.... who wouldn't? The problem is that the US didn't even offer this, they didn't offer them a chance to keep their country in their own control, but disarm and desist in their aggression through a peace or truce deal and expected them to give up...... an enemy that was very formidable opponent to the US and was just as proud as the US..... if the shoe was on the other foot, and Japan was winning against the US and demanded the US to simply surrender..... the US would tell them to go to hell and they'd fight to their last breath..... so would it have been ok for Japan to nuke the US into surrendering?

I've heard the argument that if the US conducted a land invasion, it would have been bloody and more people on both sides would have died.... that regular Japanese citizens were being trained in how to use weapons, swords, sickles, bamboo, knives, etc..... yet how is that anymore different then the average US citizen having the right to bear arms and have arsenals in their homes for many of the same reasons?

All I see is a double standard where it's ok for us to do something because we're the "Good Guys" but they're not, because they're the "Bad Guys" or because they believe in something we don't understand or believe in.

We've been given propaganda through WWII that many of us still believe in today.... they were evil, they were brutal, they would fight to the bitter end and there was no way to communicate with them because they were blood thirsty, thought of us as a lower species, etc. etc..... but don't forget that they too had their own propaganda given to them about us.... we were evil, we couldn't be talked to, we would kill them all if given the chance, etc. etc.....

Some of it on both sides was true..... much of it was not..... but that's the problem with propaganda..... it can make the general public believe something that may not actually be true and it can be embedded into that culture for a long time.

And the worst of it all is that propaganda makes it difficult to seek out alternate solutions to a conflict other then more violence, because both sides are brainwashed into believing the enemy isn't at all like themselves and won't listen.

truman made a decision that no other leader has 'ever' made, the bomb was new, never used before during war time, so be it. The u.s. spent much time in japan after that incident, negotiated a surrender, (even then it was difficult, as they promised to leave the emperor in place to lead his people later), and the u.s. rehabilitated japan for some time, created a democracy, and over time, they became allies.
Which there was a possibility that all this could have still occurred without having to wipe out two cities full of civilians...... but at the time of WWII, nobody would accept anything less then total surrender or total annihilation. Trying to broker a peace deal or truce to end the war would have been seen as a sign of weakness on everybody's part and an insult to those who already lost their lives...... people wanted vengeance on both sides, people wanted their enemies to suffer for what they did....... so upon reflection, at the time, perhaps there was no other way for the war to end, due to people's frame of mind back then, which is unfortunate.

Though I personally still won't excuse the atomic attacks and still believe they were the wrong course of action (at the very least, it was wrong to target what they targeted) and back then, as like today, I still see no justification for vaporizing entire cities of civilians to win a war...... to me, that's no different then terrorists bombing civilians or flying planes into buildings...... if you want to fight a war, then fight those who will be conducting the war..... the military. Take out the military & government and you get new citizens...... take out the citizens and you still have to take out the military, which basically leads to extermination..... not defeat.

Afterall, what would have happened if Japan still didn't flinch and decided to fight to the bitter end? Would the US have continued to nuke all of Japan until there was nothing left but a black charred streak on the map like Earth's skid mark?

What kind of victory would that have been and more importantly...... what kind of people would you be?

Added:

Also..... in my view, Nuclear Weapons are not a part of War.... they're instruments of genocide. War consists of people and technology that are geared towards strategic operations of disabling certain targets or occupying certain areas.... it's more selective in that certain rules are applied, people in a certain area are either specifically targeted or specifically protected.

With Nuclear Weapons, it takes things to a whole new level..... a level where troops and modern combat do not apply and the scenario is simplified to pointing at a map and obliterating everything in that area..... women, children, men, buildings, animals, trees, culture..... it's like taking a chunk of the earth and humanity and wiping it from the face of the planet while contaminating that area with radioactive poison for years afterwards..... all the while those who were unfortunate enough to survive suffer from a laundry list of illnesses, mutations, and agony.

And as with the fear of the Cold War, if a war broke out where all that was used was mostly Nuclear Weapons, it wouldn't be a war.... it'd just be a mass extermination of life from this planet...... and not just human life.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I don't remember seeing anybody claim it was done for no apparent reason.... they had their reasons, I just felt they were grossly unjustified and dropping atomic bombs of civilian populated areas was over kill when at least dropping the bombs of an air base or naval convoy or some other military compound would have given the Japanese the exact same message/effect to force them to surrender.... oh well, what's done is done.

I always find it funny when people argue that they were dropped because Japan simply wouldn't surrender.

You can find it funny, but it was the truth.

When your home is being attacked/invaded during war time, would you suddenly surrender?

It did not have to get to that point. Japan was finished and they knew it. The Japanese Diet knew they were finished but the military wanted to fight to the death.

Did the British surrender when Germany came after them?

No because Britain was not defeated. Japan was. Sure Britain was hold up on their islands but they ruled the seas and the skies and they were whipping on the Germans and Italians in North Africa.

If Russia decided to take some of Canadian territory for their own up in the arctic, or worse, invade Canada and try and take us as their own, would you accept our government's surrender and simply give up?

If we decided to fight to the bitter end, would Russia be justified in nuking us all out of existence, including women and children?

If you attacked Russia...anything that came your way would be deserved.

Sure one can reply back that Japan started the war with the US and thus had it coming to them, but that would suggest that using nuclear arms against someone is ok in certain situations..... in my opinion, it's never ok..... but I understand that's not always a popular stance to take.

Well that's your opinion

You're fighting another country, you have them cornered and on the losing side of the war.... you demand that they surrender unconditionally, give them no other alternatives towards ending the conflict or reaching a peace deal.... and they refuse..... Do you nuke them back to the stone ages, or do you try and show some shred of humanity to them and reach a compromise that would ultimately end the conflict besides resorting to more violence and death?

The Potsdam Declaration was agreed to by all the allies, not just the US. Canada was part of it and Canada surely would have been part of the invasion of the Japanese home islands.

The issue with the Japanese was that yes, they wanted to have a little shred of dignity left for them and didn't want to have their country occupied and taken completely out of their own control.... who wouldn't?

No. Japan wanted a ceasefire and a negotiated end to the war. That way they would not have to surrender. The Japanese nation needed to know they were beaten and had indeed surrendered.

The problem is that the US didn't even offer this, they didn't offer them a chance to keep their country in their own control, but disarm and desist in their aggression through a peace or truce deal and expected them to give up

Again, it was the allies that demanded the Japanese surrender unconditionally. That includes Canada.

...... an enemy that was very formidable opponent to the US and was just as proud as the US..... if the shoe was on the other foot, and Japan was winning against the US and demanded the US to simply surrender..... the US would tell them to go to hell and they'd fight to their last breath..... so would it have been ok for Japan to nuke the US into surrendering?

A Japanese man once said on a documentary...

"If we had the atomic bomb we most certainly would have used it on the Americans."

I've heard the argument that if the US conducted a land invasion, it would have been bloody and more people on both sides would have died.... that regular Japanese citizens were being trained in how to use weapons, swords, sickles, bamboo, knives, etc..... yet how is that anymore different then the average US citizen having the right to bear arms and have arsenals in their homes for many of the same reasons?

If you see the invasion plans it would have been a US, British (that means Canadians too) and Soviet invasion.

And yes, the Japanese citizens were being trained to use whatever means neccessary to defend Japan. Yet you whine about them being nuked.

All I see is a double standard where it's ok for us to do something because we're the "Good Guys" but they're not, because they're the "Bad Guys" or because they believe in something we don't understand or believe in.

They were the bad guys and we were the good guys.

We've been given propaganda through WWII that many of us still believe in today.... they were evil, they were brutal, they would fight to the bitter end and there was no way to communicate with them because they were blood thirsty, thought of us as a lower species, etc. etc..... but don't forget that they too had their own propaganda given to them about us.... we were evil, we couldn't be talked to, we would kill them all if given the chance, etc. etc.....

Yeah Prax read a book and you will find out it was more than propaganda. Read Japanese books about the whole thing. I can suggest some if you want.

What was said about the Japanese was absolutely correct. Did you know that Canada's first soldier killed in WWII was killed by the Japanese after Hong Kong was surrendered. Do you know how he died? He had his head chopped off after he surrendered. You weep for those people?

Some of it on both sides was true..... much of it was not..... but that's the problem with propaganda..... it can make the general public believe something that may not actually be true and it can be embedded into that culture for a long time.

Open your eyes man. Japanese propaganda was far from true and what was said about the Japanese was pretty much dead on.

And the worst of it all is that propaganda makes it difficult to seek out alternate solutions to a conflict other then more violence, because both sides are brainwashed into believing the enemy isn't at all like themselves and won't listen.

That's why the Japanese found two mushroom clouds over their cities.

Which there was a possibility that all this could have still occurred without having to wipe out two cities full of civilians...... but at the time of WWII, nobody would accept anything less then total surrender or total annihilation. Trying to broker a peace deal or truce to end the war would have been seen as a sign of weakness on everybody's part and an insult to those who already lost their lives...... people wanted vengeance on both sides, people wanted their enemies to suffer for what they did....... so upon reflection, at the time, perhaps there was no other way for the war to end, due to people's frame of mind back then, which is unfortunate.

Well you seem to be coming around at this point.

Though I personally still won't excuse the atomic attacks and still believe they were the wrong course of action (at the very least, it was wrong to target what they targeted) and back then, as like today, I still see no justification for vaporizing entire cities of civilians to win a war...... to me, that's no different then terrorists bombing civilians or flying planes into buildings...... if you want to fight a war, then fight those who will be conducting the war..... the military. Take out the military & government and you get new citizens...... take out the citizens and you still have to take out the military, which basically leads to extermination..... not defeat.

Wrong on all points. The bombs led to defeat, not extermination.

Afterall, what would have happened if Japan still didn't flinch and decided to fight to the bitter end? Would the US have continued to nuke all of Japan until there was nothing left but a black charred streak on the map like Earth's skid mark?

Nope, we would have invaded along with British, Canadians, Aussies, Anzacs, Soviets, etc. and Japan would be in a hell of a lot worse shape than they ended up.

What kind of victory would that have been and more importantly...... what kind of people would you be?

The same.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Eagle, you can excuse and justify all you like.... but you and I have already gone down this path on this very topic many times in the past and chances are, neither of us are still going to see eye to eye on this.

My previous post was not based around the justification of that particular use of nuclear weapons, it was based around using nuclear weapons in general, past, present or future..... as I said in my first paragraph.... what's done is done..... my main focus was towards the mentality that existed at that time on both sides.

But the question remains.... if you can find so much justification for using the bomb twice on Japan in that particular situation..... why doesn't the US continue to use the bomb against their enemies and make it a common practice to use the Bomb when it's convenient?

Do you feel that there are times when using a nuclear weapon is well justified besides countering another nuclear attack?

My main point and opinion, is that there is no justification for having or using nuclear weapons against fellow humans...... maybe to defend against things from space like aliens or asteroids, but turning such weapons against fellow humans only opens the door for them being used back on you.

Oh but I do love how you claim Japanese propaganda was completely wrong on all angles.... yet allied propaganda was spot on on all angles..... thanks for proving my point about the brainwashing.

Reactions: MapleOne

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Eagle, you can excuse and justify all you like.... but you and I have already gone down this path on this very topic many times in the past and chances are, neither of us are still going to see eye to eye on this.

My previous post was not based around the justification of that particular use of nuclear weapons, it was based around using nuclear weapons in general, past, present or future..... as I said in my first paragraph.... what's done is done..... my main focus was towards the mentality that existed at that time on both sides.

But the question remains.... if you can find so much justification for using the bomb twice on Japan in that particular situation..... why doesn't the US continue to use the bomb against their enemies and make it a common practice to use the Bomb when it's convenient?

Do you think it would be smart to nuke people anythime there is a conflict?

Do you feel that there are times when using a nuclear weapon is well justified besides countering another nuclear attack?

Sure... Hiroshima and Nagasaki is a good example.

My main point and opinion, is that there is no justification for having or using nuclear weapons against fellow humans...... maybe to defend against things from space like aliens or asteroids, but turning such weapons against fellow humans only opens the door for them being used back on you.

Why? Because radiation is involved. Because it makes a spectacular explosion?

Was the fire bombing of Tokyo better? The Rape of Nanking? The London Blitz? Dresden? The absolute carnage at Stalingrad? Kursk? All those were ok?

Oh but I do love how you claim Japanese propaganda was completely wrong on all angles.... yet allied propaganda was spot on on all angles..... thanks for proving my point about the brainwashing.

Because you have no clue on what you speak.

"Don't surrender to Americans as they will rape and drink your blood! Jump off the cliffs instead!" See Saipan.

And what was allied propaganda? Saying they are prepared to fight to the death? Explaining the Bushido Code?

Please don't get confused between allied and Japanese racism with propaganda.

Japanese propaganda was off the scale. Bushido, Kamikazes are the coup de grace for the Americans. The Japanese people didn't even know they were losing the war until they heard it from the Emperor himself that they must "Bear the unbearable"

US Propaganda was simply "Lets Beat the Japs!".

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

The problem is that unless you want to be an apologist for the Japanese and ignore a lot of historical facts, Eagle is right for the most part.

- Japan was the war's aggressor: the US didn't want to get overtly involved until Japan attacked Pearl Harbor
- Japan refused to acknowledge the Geneva Convention or its statutes. Things like the Nanking Massacre and the Bataan Death March DID happen and numerous other war crimes committed on both POWs and civilians.
- Japan refused to sue for peace even though they instigated conflict and it was obvious they were defeated. Estimates at the time were that an invasion would cost a million allied lives, so given that they would be fighting in the midst of civilians (some of whom might be actively aiding the defenders) the gods of war only know how many Japanese would have died in the end. On Iwo Jima, the Japanese lost almost 18000 soldiers vs 6800 dead and 19200 wounded Americans. That ratio is probably favourable compared to what would have happened once the defenders were inexperienced and less well armed troops and civilians.

Praxius, you stated the "main question" is how can the use of nuclear weapons be justified? Simply put, it can justified when the alternative is more loss of life and devastation. The Empire of Japan refused to acknowledge it had been wrong to start the conflict and that its officers who committed war crimes should be held accountable. It was incumbent upon the Japanese to make the concessions and they refused though it might cost thousands or millions more deaths.

And no, I'm not a complete Allied apologist. What the Allies did in firebombing Dresden is an attrocity. I know damned well that some of "our guys" felt a hatred thatwould have allowed them to refuse to allow an enemy to surrender or other equally heinous acts. I don't doubt there were Allied soldiers who took it out on "enemy" civilians too (not counting the Russians who were well documented to have to taken most opportunities to exact retribution for what happened on the European Eastern Front).

In the end, most of those in both Japan and Germany who warranted punishment received it. Thier gov'ts were ripped down and the countries were rebuilt to be prosperous and contributing members of the world community.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I don't believe the American leaders of the time or the war planners truly understood the destructive power at their disposal. They did not have access to information like this:
http://www.fas.org/ota/reports/7906.pdf

Truman and other American leaders were unable to be completely honest about why they decided to nuke Japan due to a secrecy and national security requirements.

reference: Why Truman Dropped the Bomb
Why Truman Dropped the Bomb | The Weekly Standard

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
The allies could have pushed on and invaded Japan, and lost an estimated million more men.

Glad they dropped the big one......................or two.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
If we fought russia and never surrendered and fought to the last man and they bombed us to **** because we wouldnt surrender when russia would offer a chance for surrender it would be our faults...

Last edited:

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Look at what the Japanese civilians did when we invaded Saipan and Guam. They were determined to fight to the death and take as many of us as possible with them. Humane, there is nothing in war that is humane. Truman did the right thing and ended the war ASAP.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
the japanese lived by a totally different code than us or any of our allies. we would surrender when
the logical time for doing that came about, it would be forced by our government and people.

japanese people had 'no' say, the stupid 'honour' thing was everything to them, they would let
their own people die by the millions to avoid surrendering, they would commit suicide by the
millions to avoid surrender.

we cannot compare the difference in countries surrendering, they were different.

not sure about 'just' attacking the air bases, was not there, don't know the situation, and it's not
as though the u.s. was experienced at doing what they did, don't know if they really knew what the
outcome would be, there are questions that probably could only be answered after the fact.
the japanese were jolted into reality by the bombing, and it took that much devastation to make
them 'even' begin to talk surrender, and they still didn't want to, but backs against the wall,
no where to turn, americans on the ground, mc Carther at the top.

I have respect for the americans deciding to leave the emperor in place, to be the head of

state as they recovered, (under the supervision of the u.s.)

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
There were advanced surrender negotiations on going between the U.S. and Japan and their intermediaries during the summer of 1945, the outcome of which would have been similar to the one signed after the unilateral surrender after the bombing, including a U.S. government administrator, a re-organization of the Japanese military culture and re-assigning the Emporer to a purely ceremonial role as Head of State.

It was likely that the U.S. could have avoided a costly invasion of the Japanese mainland in these circumstances without the use of the nuclear weapons. This, however, was the rationale they used in justifying the dropping of the A Bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

It was high ranking generals in the U.S. military who wanted to 'test' the bomb on a largely undamaged, civilian, urban target like Hiroshima.. and it has been proposed that Hiroshima was largely left untouched by conventional bombing for just such a purpose.

Even so the use of the nuclear weapon was opposed by many senior political and military officials who knew of it, as unnecessary and as providing a deadly precedent of their use.. obviously to no avail.

I sometimes think that if Roosevelt had not died earlier that year, the bomb would have been used only as a threat to end the war. But with the decision left in the hands of that mediocrity Truman it was used without warning.. twice.

Last edited:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I always find that these discussions on the atomic bombing of Japan overlook a few basic historical facts.

The first was that the Allies had decided on unconditional surrender from all of the Axis powers. They got it from Italy and Germany and now they wanted it from Japan. You can argue the wisdom of insisting on unconditional surrender but that is a moot point considering that the Allies were pledged to this condition.

Given that surrender was the only acceptable option, the Americans had decided on three plans for forcing the surrender of Japan. One was an invasion of the Japanese islands. It was estimated that such an invasion would have resulted in at least 300,000 American dead, a figure that was militarily and politically unacceptable. Such an invasion would also have resulted in the death of millions of Japanese soldiers and civilians.

The second plan was to continue conventional bombing of Japan on a massive scale. It was proposed that all of the bombers that had been used in Europe to bomb Germany be transferred to the Pacific theatre. This would have given the US Air Force about 8000 bombers with which of begin around the clock bombing of Japan. The aim would have been to obliterate every major and middle-sized city in Japan. The cost of such an operation would have been low in terms of casualties from an American point of view, but would probably have killed several million Japanese (mostly civilians) and completely destroyed almost all industrial infrastructure in Japan.

The third option was to blockade Japan and simply starve it into submission. Such a plan would also have been very hard on the civilian population, especially as Japan was already on the verge of starvation. It would also have resulted in heavy casualties to US naval forces due to Japanese Kamikaze attacks.

What is also overlooked was that the Japanese high command and the emperor knew that surrender was Japan's only option. However, Hirohito was unwilling to countenance such surrender without subjecting the Japanese people to one more devastating setback. He felt that surrender would then be accepted as an honourable alternative as he could be seen to be saving the Japanese nation by his gracious submission.

The emperor apparently had no idea what horror would provide a convenient excuse for surrender, but the atomic bomb fitted into his plan perfectly. Faced with such a devastating weapon he could claim that Japan now had no alternative but to give in to the demands made by the Allies.

Interestingly, the deaths caused by the bomb did not equal those caused in the air-raid of February 24 which killed over 100,000 Japanese. In that sense using the bomb to cow Japan into surrender was a humane alternative to the other options the US and its allies could have used.

I realize that few people think of nuclear weapons as humane, but in the sense that the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki brought a quick end to the war they actually were. Had any of the other plans been chosen instead Japanese deaths would have been at least forty or fifty times higher.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Mark one up for the Yanks. The hypocrites using weapons of mass destruction... Sad.

Thats right suckaaaaa...TWICE!

There were advanced surrender negotiations on going between the U.S. and Japan and their intermediaries during the summer of 1945, the outcome of which would have been similar to the one signed after the unilateral surrender after the bombing, including a U.S. government administrator, a re-organization of the Japanese military culture and re-assigning the Emporer to a purely ceremonial role as Head of State.

There were not advance surrender negotiations. The Japanese were ordered by the allies to surrender unconditionally and that there would be no negotiated truce.

It was high ranking generals in the U.S. military who wanted to 'test' the bomb on a largely undamaged, civilian, urban target like Hiroshima.. and it has been proposed that Hiroshima was largely left untouched by conventional bombing for just such a purpose.

This is simply wrong.

Even so the use of the nuclear weapon was opposed by many senior political and military officials who knew of it, as unnecessary and as providing a deadly precedent of their use.. obviously to no avail.

I sometimes think that if Roosevelt had not died earlier that year, the bomb would have been used only as a threat to end the war. But with the decision left in the hands of that mediocrity Truman it was used without warning.. twice.

There was a threat and the Japanese ignored it. In fact, even after the Hiroshima bombing the Japanese Diet informed the Emperor that the US did not have any more atomic bombs.

The Japanese brought this upon themselves.

Interestingly, the deaths caused by the bomb did not equal those caused in the air-raid of February 24 which killed over 100,000 Japanese. In that sense using the bomb to cow Japan into surrender was a humane alternative to the other options the US and its allies could have used.

So true and the events of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were just part of a war full of civilian mass casualties. Nanking, Dresden, Stalingrad seem to be acceptable for some reason though.

That is why I asked... it it because there was radiation?

IS flying hot steel, fire, or the bayonet more humane?

Or is this simply another Yank thaaaang?

I realize that few people think of nuclear weapons as humane, but in the sense that the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki brought a quick end to the war they actually were. Had any of the other plans been chosen instead Japanese deaths would have been at least forty or fifty times higher.

Of course.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Thats right suckaaaaa...TWICE!

There were not advance surrender negotiations. The Japanese were ordered by the allies to surrender unconditionally and that there would be no negotiated truce.

This is simply wrong.

The surrender of Japan brought hostilities in World War 2 to a close. By the end of July 1945, the Imperial Japanese Navy had effectively no capacity to conduct operations, and an Allied Invasion of Japan, likely spearheaded by the Soviets, was imminent.

While publicly stating their intent to fight on to the bitter end, Japan's leaders at the Supreme Council for the Direction of the War, were making entreaties to the still neutral Soviet Union, which was obliged to participate in the invasion of Japan through their alliance with the anti fascist powers, to mediate peace on terms as favorable to the Japanese as possible, but in no uncertain terms this would be a surrender, and likely on the very same practical terms as were imposed after the unconditional surrender.

In fact there was of a suspended coup against the military junta controlling Japan, which would have been enacted if terms were not reached. The American political and military leadership was well aware of this, as it was transmitted to them through the their intelligence services and the Soviets. And there was a a bitter debate about the use of nuclear weapons, the side in favour of using eventually prevailing with Truman. Those are simply the facts.

Last edited: