Grey Gardens

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Jessica Lang and Drew Barrymore. I thought it might be a little slow given the majority of the movie involves two women and their bizarre mother/daughter relationship and horrific living conditions ie: tree growing through the walls of the hosue, lots of cats, raccoons and garbage - aunt/cousin of Jacke Bouvier Kennedy. I liked it a lot. I'm also glad I watched it before watching the original 1975 documentary which the movie is based on because it provides some good back ground AND there are times when the two women are bickering so much, you can't tell what is going on! :lol: In the end, the producers of the modern film did not stray far from the original documentary, only providing background and pauses for each actress to talk instead of the instent bickering between the two women to be heard!

Anyway, I'd recommend both, on a slow, Sunday afternoon. Both are on-demand if you have Rogers cable.

Grey Gardens Promo Trailor:
YouTube - Official Grey Gardens promo trailer from HBO

1975 Documentary
YouTube - Grey Gardens 2/11

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I might be on HBO Canada, although I'm sure I watched on MOD (Movies on Demand) - the free movies, 308 in Ottawa.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Wow! I cannot believe people are still interested in a couple of cranks like the Beales!

They were the subject of much discussion in New York back in the 70s and I was one of the first people on line to watch that documentary's presentation. I always thought it was a period piece and would soon be forgotten. Well, forgotten it was -- up to now.

You don't see or read of genteel poverty anymore. Perhaps interest in them has been kindled because they were the last of a now forgotten part of society.

For those of you who are interested in the Beales, what exactly made their story appealing to you?

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Their personalities and relationship. I thought the movie looked good and I didn't know it was true until I saw the documentary listed above the movie On Demand.

The movie offers a look into something different - not unlike seeing people on television with hoarding disorders etc. From a historical perspective, it's one of my favorite periods and my great-grandmother was like the Senior Beal. She refused to believe she was anything but rich, even though she died penniless, living in my grandparents home.