Google Threatens to Leave China

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
In a somewhat indirect response to Google's (www.google.com) announcement that it will stop complying with Chinese censorship of its operations there, the Chinese government has said it welcomes Internet companies from outside the country, however, they must obey laws that restrict their content.
China Stands By Censorship Policies As Google Threatens to Leave - Web Hosting Industry News | Daily Web Hosting News and Web Host Interviews"

I hope they do leave. Maybe China will get off its butt and develop its own batch of search engines. lmao

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I agree, in that they should exit the Chinese market for now. Especially due to the frequent hacking attempts originating in China and frequently aimed at north american companies operating there. Google was breached earlier this week from within China and it seemed the hackers had a particular interest in gmails account for Chinese dissidents.

Yahoo Reportedly Hit by China Hackers - PC World

In regards to the Chinese developing their own search engines, Baidu (Chinese company), leads Google by a significant margin in China.

baidu.com - Site Info from Alexa

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I agree, in that they should exit the Chinese market for now. Especially due to the frequent hacking attempts originating in China and frequently aimed at north american companies operating there. Google was breached earlier this week from within China and it seemed the hackers had a particular interest in gmails account for Chinese dissidents.

Yahoo Reportedly Hit by China Hackers - PC World

In regards to the Chinese developing their own search engines, Baidu (Chinese company), leads Google by a significant margin in China.

baidu.com - Site Info from Alexa
I didn't know that. Thanks, DD. I think that's great. People in China will want what is available to other people in the world and put pressure on their gov't to catch up with the rest of the planet or take a long walk off a short pier. Kind of like what's going on in Iran. Awesome!

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I didn't know that. Thanks, DD. I think that's great. People in China will want what is available to other people in the world and put pressure on their gov't to catch up with the rest of the planet or take a long walk off a short pier. Kind of like what's going on in Iran. Awesome!

We can only hope. :smile:

From what I have read though, most Chinese internet users with moderately advanced skills can bypass the "great firewall" with ease.