God Squad

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Vanni Fucci said:
Nope, haven't read The Da Vinci Code, but I have read Angels and Demons, which I found riveting...

With my schedule I have opportunity to read 3 books a year...Da Vinci Code hasn't made the rotation yet... :p

I just finished the Da Vince Code, and am going to get the Angels and Demons book. I found the historic part of the Code very interesting, and even though it is a novel, there was enough facts and "truth" to make it a very interesting read. I did hear that the Catholic Church is not making any of their buildings and churches available for the movie version. Strange. :roll: :arrow: :wink:

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
We all know that Christmas was assigned to the Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year, the day after being the Return of Light celebrated by most of the pagans, and so what better than to merge with what the Pagans are already celebrating ?

Even the Catholic Church admitted that Mary Magdalene was not the prostitute as it has so often propagandized.

But I'll still go to my 2000 member church and watch 6 tankers of help go to Africa and listen to the missionaries quote the book of James, a big fairy tale that cautions that "good works" must ride with "faith" and that "faith" alone does never suffice.

Many things happen for the oddest of reasons and the wrongest of motivations.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Hey Jimmy,

I'd never heap derision on those who want to do good...

What I can't abide is when peoples' faith and good intentions are subverted for personal gain...

...and one inescapable nagging notion haunts my well-wishes for the faithful...

...if all of religion has been made up, as science and the lack of evidence to support scriptural accounts would suggest, then it was made up for what purpose?

Some would say hope, and I'd like to believe them...but my gut tells me that the purpose is far more nefarious than that...

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Actually Vanni your sincerety is honorable, so no problem there.

In fact I find most of your views most accurate on this subject. I personally wish that all the churches review their historical origins but I think the outcome would be different than you propose.

I think a realistic honest look would deepen the religion, make it more mature and wise. I do not think an honest look would destroy the faith, the religion or its attendant institutions.

No doubt most would fight it, not allow it, take great offense by it, because they would be fighting so hard the bad qualities of their attackers.

Also, the general quality of the church goers have become a subject to be ostracized or ridiculed by the secular humanists and so I am just trying to get some middle balance there.

My instincts tell me that the religious radicals and secular radicals, the atheists with an attitude, the political types who hold logic and facts as their only God live all in the same glass house, and they are all basically all the same, and who I believe to be the least mature of the species.