Global warming 'past the point of no return'

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Changing climate has more Inuit shopping for food

Given the level of toxins present in their natural foods now, that was almost inevitable. The problem is that the toxins will be present in their purchased foods as well.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Reverend Blair said:
Changing climate has more Inuit shopping for food

Given the level of toxins present in their natural foods now, that was almost inevitable. The problem is that the toxins will be present in their purchased foods as well.

The price however is more worrysome. It's cheaper to buy bullets rather than shop at the store. If this trend continues and they have less access to the local food chain due to scarcity, we'll probably be seeing humanitarian food drives going up north like they do in places like Africa as many northerners won't be able to afford storebought food.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Global warming 'past

That's going to be a growing problem in coming years, Jo. Those who have little or no contact with remote communities really don't understand it either...it's just completely removed from their reality.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Re: RE: Global warming 'past

Reverend Blair said:
That's going to be a growing problem in coming years, Jo. Those who have little or no contact with remote communities really don't understand it either...it's just completely removed from their reality.

Yep, and unlike Africa they won't be able to turn their TV's off to avoid the reality, because any refugees from those communities will be moving in next door...and they probably won't be very happy.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Global warming 'past

Oh, we'll be getting lots of environmental refugees. Not just from our own north either...between sea level rises and desertification, there are going to be a lot of people looking for someplace to live.

Timetrvlr

Electoral Member
Dec 15, 2005
BC interior
Re: RE: Global warming 'past

Summer said:
Dang, I'm going to have to make a trip the library, then. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out ways that the warming could be reversed by modern technology.

If I can research this well enough, not only will I perhaps be a little less depressed over it all, but also I might manage to get a good story out of it. (There's a reason I hang out on science fiction sites... I write the stuff, or at least attempt to. Nothing published yet, tho...)

It was heartening to read your post! I like to write and I like science fiction. Let me share a science website with you that will provide a subject to think about. I've written a half dozen short stories off it and hope to write something longer. Journey of Mankind Just click on it. It takes about an hour for the whole tour if you click on the Climate and Note pop ups. Enjoy!

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Hey great site.
It made me even want more, like showing
the changes in land masses of the continents
as the journey of man proceeded.

Also the National Geographic talks about discovering'
several simultaneous origins, but I guess this is
just the route of Homo Sapiens? And not of different
species like the Peking Man, or the Neanderthal ?

Great site.

Timetrvlr

Electoral Member
Dec 15, 2005
BC interior
jimmoyer Posted:
It made me even want more, like showing
the changes in land masses of the continents
as the journey of man proceeded.

Also the National Geographic talks about discovering'
several simultaneous origins, but I guess this is
just the route of Homo Sapiens? And not of different
species like the Peking Man, or the Neanderthal ?

Jim, I don't think the land masses changed much in that very short time period (85,000 years). However, the shapes and extent of land masses changed a lot as sea levels rose and fell. Very low sea levels exposed coastal banks and made it much easier to cross the Red Sea, obliterated the Persian Gulf for a while, and made it much easier to cross the straits to Australia and New Guinea.

We have wandered far afield from the thread topic which was Global Warming but it does illustrate the huge effects of global warming and cooling that have occured in the past. Did you note that the Levant was, at various times, a lush grassland and then uninhabitable desert? In effect it was a gate that opened and closed with climate changes. Apparently global warming and cooling has occured in regular cycles thus providing entry into Europe and Asia many times.

It has been pretty well established that at least Homo Erectus wandered into Europe and Asia. Perhaps other homonids did too but much earlier than Homo Sapiens. Apparently thier populations flourished for a while, then died out. Perhaps global weather changes were responsible?

Timetrvlr

Electoral Member
Dec 15, 2005
BC interior
I think by now most of us realise that human activities in the past 200 years have increased atmospheric levels of greenhouse gases to dangerous levels. That is, levels that endanger human survival in many areas now and in the future. I believe that we should reverse this situation by:

1. Removing CO2 from the atmosphere and sequestering it in carbon sinks.

2. Substantially reducing the release of greenhouse gases by switching, as quickly as practical, to "green" energy sources.

Sounds like a big job , eh? It's not as impossible as it might seem, we simply need the will to start and then perservere, taking little bites out of the problem until it is done.

Removing CO2 from the atmosphere can be done on a very large scale quite inexpensively by encouraging the rampant growth of phytoplankton in vast areas of ocean "desert". These areas are in the southern oceans around Antarctica. Studies have shown that adding very small amounts of iron dust to the southern ocean will provide the necessary nutient that is lacking and massive phytoplankton blooms result. Phytoplankton are plants and growing plant activity pulls CO2 out of the water and sequesters the carbon in the plant and releases oxygen. This is probably the most efficient, large scale, cost effective method, but there are many other ways to enlist Natures help. Carbon Dioxide Sink

Switching to non-polluting power sources is reasonable and practical too. The worst offender may be coal-burning power plants. Up to 90% of all pollutants can be captured from emissions by retrofitting existing power plants with emissions-capture technology. Coal CO2 Sequestration and US DOE Press Release

Another major greenhouse gas emission source are automobiles and trucks. Switching to all-electric, or fuel-cell vehicles is an obvious solution provided the electrical energy or hydrogen fuel comes from non-polluting sources such as nuclear, hydro, wind, wave, tidal, or geo-thermal sources.
Long-haul trucking can be eliminated by shipping on electric-powered trains. Short-haul trucking can operate on fuel cells or batteries.

Are there problems and costs associated with this? Of course! A myriad of them, but each problem can be solved. It will certainly be easier than the project of going to the moon that was envisioned 40 years ago.

If we don't start pretty quick, we are going to be up to our ass in alligators (literally!) before long from rising water levels.