Gimmiks

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
There's alot of crap out there that is marketed to us but is just the same 'ol crap with a new shiny label or doohickey. (Turnip Twaddlers anyone?)

If any of you know of anything of the sort just throw it on the list here: Sonic razors are my contribution...you wanna raise you hairs?? USE COLD WATER TO SHAVE WITH!!

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
That's too true, especially in this case. Vibrating triple-blade razor system? GIve me a break!

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
This may be a bit off-topic from the first post but goes with the gimmiks thread title.

Perhaps it's just my skeptical self but I have always taken a poor view of companies that have to promote their products using free giveaways and gimmiks. I always think there is something wrong with a product that can not sell on it's own merits. Just because a customer stands a one-in-a-million chance of winning some cheesy prize doesn't mean the product itself isn't still garbage and one could assume it's also obscenely over-priced to begin with if they can afford to sink that much promotional money into it.

My addition to the list: 'cordless' screwdrivers :roll:

Azalie

May 25, 2005
Oh god.. I work for Zellers and just walk down the gadget aisle in the housewares department in Zellers. Tonnes of crap that no one really needs. For example, there is this green square of rubber that's sold as a jar opener, and the SAME SQUARE OF RUBBER is sold in an off-white colour as a garlic peeler. Oh, and doesn't everyone need a magnet that says "clean/dirty" only dirty is upside down so you can put this on your dishwasher and know if the dishes inside are clean or dirty. Let's not forget the "lettuce knife" which is basically a knife-shaped piece of plastic. What's wrong w/ normal knives?

Better yet, open a Regal catalogue. I've decided that if you ever think of some stupid invention that will probably never sell, tell Regal about it. They'll sell it. They sell a tonne of things you'll never really need.

After I come home from work tomorrow, I'll tell you what else I can find that's moronic, but on the shelves. :)

Derry McKinney

Electoral Member
May 21, 2005
The Owl Farm
I want one of those robot sweeper things they've been advertising. It's a swiffer sweeper with some sort of electronic ball in the middle that bounces off things until your floor is clean, or likely not.

I want one for the cats. I think they'd like it.

Azalie

May 25, 2005
Re: RE: Gimmiks

Derry McKinney said:
I want one of those robot sweeper things they've been advertising. It's a swiffer sweeper with some sort of electronic ball in the middle that bounces off things until your floor is clean, or likely not.

I want one for the cats. I think they'd like it.

Haha yeah, I've seen that. Vacuums for lazy people. That reminds me of another huge, albeit successful, gimmick: Swiffer. What an evil invention that was! Disposable mop, I mean really! There are other flat mops which work electrostatically and are reusable.. after a few weeks you just have to toss them in the laundry to clean them off, and reuse them. MUCH cheaper and MUCH better for the environment than the swiffer. I don't see much point in the Swiffer WetJet, either, when a sponge mop, bucket and cleaner (we use vinegar and water) will suffice.

I hate Swiffer. I don't care who knows it!

Recycle. Save our planet. I should be a hippie. Peace.

lol.

Derry McKinney

Electoral Member
May 21, 2005
The Owl Farm
Everybody should be a hippie.

I never got the whole swiffer thing. I progressed to a nylon broom a while ago, but only because normal brooms were no longer available. I use a string mop. Vinegar is the main cleaner. We have a bottle of ammonia too. Don't mix them...that would be wrong.

Azalie

May 25, 2005

Derry McKinney said:
Everybody should be a hippie.

I never got the whole swiffer thing. I progressed to a nylon broom a while ago, but only because normal brooms were no longer available. I use a string mop. Vinegar is the main cleaner. We have a bottle of ammonia too. Don't mix them...that would be wrong.

I actually have a vegan cookbook that gives like 101 different all-natural cleaning methods. Most of them involve vinegar, but basically any household chore you can think of, they have a more environmentally friendly solution for, rather than use harmful chemicals.

You should also never mix ammonia with bleach. As with vinegar, it will create poisonous gases. So use really really good ventilation if you do. And don't inhale. That would be Bad. :)

Derry McKinney

Electoral Member
May 21, 2005
The Owl Farm
I've never been much good at the vegan thing. I like meat. The same people that taught me to like meat never cleaned with anything but vinegar and ammonia though. We never had a lot of gimmicks, at least successful, before the generation before mine.

Azalie

May 25, 2005

Derry McKinney said:
I've never been much good at the vegan thing. I like meat. The same people that taught me to like meat never cleaned with anything but vinegar and ammonia though. We never had a lot of gimmicks, at least successful, before the generation before mine.

I can't justify eliminating meat from my diet, given what I know about human biology. It would go against our nature to try and be vegetarians.

However, I have friends who are vegetarian and I've known a few vegans, so I have a few appropriate cookbooks hanging around in case I ever need to cook for them.

Derry McKinney

Electoral Member
May 21, 2005
The Owl Farm
However, I have friends who are vegetarian and I've known a few vegans, so I have a few appropriate cookbooks hanging around in case I ever need to cook for them.

Have you ever that crappy lasagna they make? What they hell is up with that? Everybody, vegan and not, pretends it tastes like real lasagna too. "Ohh, that's so good." No it's not. It's tasteless slop with some noodles. Put in some frigging meat. Some cottage cheese that had the inside of an udder at some point would be a bonus too. And how about melting some actual cheese on top? Some feta or cheddar or that stinky blue stuff.

I don't force them to eat meat when they come here, why the hell should I suffer when I go there?

Sy

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
Kingston, Ontario
^^^ Hehe nice!

I'm gonna throw computer parts, such as cpu's, motherboards and video cards, on the list. Every 6months something "New and better" comes out so the companies can seem justified at charging $800 for something that's really no different than the generation before. The sad part is I know people who rush out to buy these new pieces of hardware and I laugh when they just have to show me something I've seen a thousand times already.

Azalie

May 25, 2005
Derry McKinney said:
I don't force them to eat meat when they come here, why the hell should I suffer when I go there?

haha I know what you mean. Last few times I've been at my friends' house (a vegetarian and a non-vegetarian) I've had to eat spaghetti with meatless balls and stuff like that. "Doesn't it taste like real meat?" Unfortunately for them, I tell the truth. "No, not really. Meat isn't this dry all the way through, the texture is more like bread, and the taste is more like mushrooms."

Thankfully, the one friend, though she tries to abstain from meat out of respect for her vegetarian roommate, loves going out for lunch or supper with me. We both enjoy our beef or pork or whatever red meat we can find (she's allegic to poultry and fish).

The three of us may move into an apartment together later in the year. Like it or not, I'm cooking meat. It'll be a pain not to be able to cook seafood, but at least I can still have steak, bacon and such. Sure, I respect a vegetarians' decision to not eat meat. I'm not gonna force it on them, but they can't expect me to abstain, either.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Have you ever that crappy lasagna they make? What they hell is up with that? Everybody, vegan and not, pretends it tastes like real lasagna too. "

I love veggie lasagna....I don't get the kind that's suppose to taste like meat lasagna though. I get the 7 vegetable lasagna...with over the top garlic bread....delicious!!!!!!