Fort Mac Industrial Work...as bad as it seems?

cnorwich

Mar 18, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
Hi,
My fiancee is a second year electricial apprentice and has recently joined the IBEW union. He is debating on whether or not to go up to fort mac for work as he's aiming to become an industrial electrician and he can't find that sort of work arond red deer where we live.

The thing is, we've heard mixed stories from people on fort mac. I have a friend who is an RCMP officer in Fort Mac and he's got horror stories out the ass about some of the camp, and at the same time i've heard stories from other electricians that have said it's not as bad as people make it out to be, as long as you've got a strong will, and know how to keep yourself from falling into the bad habits. Those guys say the experiance is what you make it, good or bad.

I've been told that it's best to be single if your up there as theirs temptation with other females and everything.

We're both originally from ontario and have only been here for a year, so we have no real idea what to expect, so I was wondering if I could just get some advice or stories. I've read the other thread in here about fort mac, but I was wondering if there was a difference between oil camps and industrial camps, or if they were the same.

Basically, we're new. Any advice?

Thanks,
Caitlin

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
Hi Cnorwich, It can be a trap if you don't remember what your there for (MONEY) Boredom is the worst thing up there if he goes make sure he takes a computer or gaming system, tv's are included at most camps but they are only 14" they have high speed internet so get a web cam- there are plenty of shady characters stay clear of them they are most likely selling crack. at the last camp I was at there was a gal who set up shop underneath the bunkhouse and was servicing the boys, she was at it for a few weeks before she got caught- apparently it was quite a set up. In addition to her wily wares she also supplied booze and drugs.

Lester