Forget 2012, 2011 is the New Doomsday

MissAnnika

Electoral Member
Jun 30, 2008
Ohau, Hawaii
So a friend of mine called and told me about this man she had seen on tv talking about a new doomsday theory.

Article taken from Doomsday Is Just Another Day for End-Time Evangelist

What would you do if you knew the world was going to end?

Family Radio Worldwide evangelist Harold Camping has received a lot of attention in the last few days for announcing the exact date of the Rapture -- May 21, 2011 -- but he tells AOL Weird News that he's not making any big plans for the big day.

"The Bible says the end-times will come to those who are occupied, so I will just continue working and doing the job."

Camping, an 89-year-old former civil engineer-turned-biblical scholar, says he reached his conclusion after 70 years of intense study -- and a few incorrect interpretations. (To err, after all, is human.)

Nevertheless, he is now convinced that the rapture is set to happen in what he reckons is "19 weeks and a few days."

"The Bible guarantees it," Camping says on his website, quoting "... blow the trumpets ... warn the people" from the Book of Ezekiel.

It's nice to have the advance warning, but Camping admits the discovery means his schedule for the next four months and three weeks or so is pretty packed indeed.

"We have a whole lot of work to do warning the world that Judgment Day will soon be here," Camping told AOL News.

It's been a long time coming, but Camping feels a great sense of anticipation for the end-time.

However, he warns that folks who want to spend between now and May 21 trying to get in God's good graces that it may or may not work.

"Some people may claim they can tell you how to be saved, but we have learned with great accuracy that nobody can show anyone how to be saved," Camping said. "All we can do is listen to the word of God and ask for his mercy with great humility."

And faking it won't work. Presumably, the big G is like Santa Claus and knows if you've been bad or good, so be good for goodness sake.

But wait! How did Camping come up with the date anyway?

According to SFGate.com, Camping came up with a mathematical formula using numbers in the Bible.

"Because I was an engineer, I was very interested in the numbers," he said. "I'd wonder, 'Why did God put this number in or that number in?' It was not a question of unbelief, it was a question of, 'There must be a reason for it.' "

Camping concluded that the number five equals "atonement" while 10 is "completeness" and 17 means "heaven." By using the date April 1, A.D. 33 as his starting point, he added 1,978 and came to April 1, 2011.

Then he multiplied 1,978 by 365.2422, the number of days in each solar year. Then, he realized that it's 51 days between April 1 and May 21 and added those to the sum of his multiplication total and got 722,500.

Still with us? Well, Camping realized that 722,500 equals five times 10 times 17 squared: Or, as he prefers, atonement times completeness times heaven squared.

Although Camping says he fell off his seat when he made the connection, others might be skeptical, especially since he made a similar prediction in 1994.

"I made a mistake," he said. "When you learn to ride a bike, unless your daddy held you, you probably fell. Well, you learn from mistakes. But preachers don't admit they're wrong; I do."

It's just as well. He figures that the current situation is more indicative of the end-time than 1994.

"The gay movement was planned in the Bible as a sign that we're on the threshold of the end," he said.

So, while Camping will be working extra hard in the days before May 21, when that day finally comes he will neither mourn nor break his routine in any way. He's treating doomsday like it's just another day.

Article End

So I will be the first to admit that I am not a math whiz in any way shape or form, and please, correct me if I'm wrong, but to derive a doomsday just from a few words seems completely irrelevant to me, and in a way, similar to pulling his theory out of thin air. I could say a bit more about my personal beliefs, but the two things I never argue over are politics and religion.

I'm sure that when May 21st goes by without anything happening, this man will have a pretty good explanation as to why his theory never came true.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Well I must say that so far each and every doomsday kook has been 100% wrong. So I like the odds and will be sticking with my camp ground reservations for the summer.

Oh look big moon tonight! Wonder what that means? Doom Doom Doom in the boom boom room?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I frequent a doomsday web forum. They have a buy and sell sub forum I watch.

I can't wait until 2013.

I have my eye on about a $1000CDN worth of kit I'm thinking I'll be able to pick up for 10 cents on the dollar.

So of these nutters have leveraged themselves to the hilt.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I frequent a doomsday web forum. They have a buy and sell sub forum I watch.

I can't wait until 2013.

I have my eye on about a $1000CDN worth of kit I'm thinking I'll be able to pick up for 10 cents on the dollar.

So of these nutters have leveraged themselves to the hilt.

There's a quote from Abe Lincoln (I think it's him)... The way to make money off of a gold rush isn't looking for the gold; it's in selling the shovels and pick axes to the miners.

Your post immediately reminded me of that statement

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yeah... That is much more descriptive and appropriate.
And soon I'll add my own reworded phrase, "A fool and his heavily leveraged equipment, shall soon be parted."

BTW - I thought that I recalled that you and Mrs. Bear planned on ice fishing this weekend... What are you doing on line?
That was supposed to be lest weekend. But the warm weather made getting on the ice impossible, I don't have a trailer for the sleds, and driving 20 minutes down dry roads on them, to get access. isn't something I'm willing to do.

Besides, between Deer and fish, my freezer is already full. Last year was a banner year for Whities. This year Lakers. And the Perch at the beginning of the season, well they were ridiculously huge and plentiful.

So no need to be greedy. There's always next year.

Now our hearts are turning to the spring run of Bows! Fly gear and long rods are all ready to go. Weekly reports from friends that live on the Ganny are coming in. As soon as the first silver torpedo is spotted. I'll disappear again, lol.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
And soon I'll add my own reworded phrase, "A fool and his heavily leveraged equipment, shall soon be parted."

That was supposed to be lest weekend. But the warm weather made getting on the ice impossible, I don't have a trailer for the sleds, and driving 20 minutes down dry roads on them, to get access. isn't something I'm willing to do.

Besides, between Deer and fish, my freezer is already full. Last year was a banner year for Whities. This year Lakers. And the Perch at the beginning of the season, well they were ridiculously huge and plentiful.

So no need to be greedy. There's always next year.

Now our hearts are turning to the spring run of Bows! Fly gear and long rods are all ready to go. Weekly reports from friends that live on the Ganny are coming in. As soon as the first silver torpedo is spotted. I'll disappear again, lol.

I'm jealous... I used to make plenty of time to head out fishing, but now, somehow my time vanishes and teh ole tackle box only collects dust.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
This guy here in town had bought a commercial generator and an automatic special breaker that would start the generator and switch off the hydro line in case of power failure....just for Y2K:smile:
He also filled a two hundred gallon tank of fuel for that generator

Well the fuel wasn't a complete loss....but some contractor got a sweet deal on the generator a few years later....

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Waiting to hear what all the doom and gloom people have to say about the Super Moon this week. While I will be hoping for clear skies in order to have a good look at this phenomenom, I am sure the tin-hatters will be huddling in their bunkers, head tucked safely between their buttocks. :roll:

MissAnnika

Electoral Member
Jun 30, 2008
Ohau, Hawaii
I might just end up spending that day going into labor, which might feel like a doomsday, but the outcome would be the exact opposite.

I sincerely hope I'd get to hold my baby at least once :(

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
"Because I was an engineer, I was very interested in the numbers," he said. "I'd wonder, 'Why did God put this number in or that number in?' It was not a question of unbelief, it was a question of, 'There must be a reason for it.' "

Because I'm an engineer, I think: 'Why would any rational human believe in God?'

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There is an al Qaeda asteroid heading straight for Branson MS. Should we stop it, It's only Branson and it's tackier than Vegas.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Please don't tell me the judgement day is going to be in May, here in the Okanangan the
hot weather will have started and I hate standing in judgement day line ups in the heat.
Oh the list will be longer than Santa's, and all those sins to be exposed. wear really good
support shoes and wear a hat it will be hot.
What a load of crap. All those Inca souls waiting all this time for the world to end in 2012
and sneaky old God comes along and brings the curtain down a year early. It is people
like this that makes it hard for Christians to be taken seriously. Not to mention the old
preacher has studied for decades and when he is wrong he will feel like a failure.
The rascal picked a long weekend to end it all too. As a joke my Grandson claims that
insanity is merely a chemical imbalance in the brain, it is no big deal.
Think about it, if it comes true, do the NHL owners still have to pay the players even if the
Stanley Cup Playoffs are not completed? Maybe God will let them play on so the rest of
us standing in line for judgement will have something to do, or we might not show up to
be judged. This is really too much.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
The moon is beautiful tonight. The 'end of the world' how many times have we been given a date just to wake up the next morning and whoops we are still here.