Fired for napping on job, prison guard back to work thanks to federal labour board

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Fired for napping on job, prison guard back to work thanks to federal labour board
Author of the article:postmedia News
Publishing date:May 06, 2021 • 9 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation
An Alberta prison guard who fell asleep while at work and was subsequently fired, is back to work, thanks to a federal labour board.
An Alberta prison guard who fell asleep while at work and was subsequently fired, is back to work, thanks to a federal labour board. PHOTO BY FILES /Files
Article content
An Alberta prison guard who fell asleep while at work and was subsequently fired, is back to work, thanks to a federal labour board.

“I know it looks bad,” said Aleksandra Besirovic, a $62,000-a-year guard at a maximum-security penitentiary in Edmonton, according to Blacklock’s Reporter.

“I will admit my actions were not acceptable and I sincerely regret you had to see me in this negative light,” Besirovic wrote in a letter of apology. “I am mortified and feel rather embarrassed.”

Besirovic had reportedly been working a 2017 night shift when she was caught on camera pulling up two chairs, a blanket and a neck pillow and then sitting motionless for nearly an hour, according to the report.

She had been assigned to monitor a prisoner who was on suicide watch in solitary confinement.

“Video shows her with her legs on a chair, slumped down and motionless,” according to labour board records.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

Suspended Toronto jail guard Sukhpreet Singh, 24, faces charges for allegedly acting as her 32-year-old boyfriend Tatum Ogden's getaway driver during robberies.
PRISONER OF LOVE: Former jail guard pregnant with co-accused's baby
Jeff Wilkins, national president of the Union of Canadian Correctional Officers, in an undated file photo.
Prison guards need priority COVID-19 vaccinations, union says

She was fired for breach of Correctional Service Standards Of Professional Conduct. Management said it wanted to “send a clear message to all employees,” according to the Public Sector Labour Relations and Employment Board.

However, adjudicator Ian Mackenzie ruled the firing was excessive, and instead suspended Besirovic for 18 months without pay.