Favorite Writing Style

MissAnnika

Electoral Member
Jun 30, 2008
Ohau, Hawaii
Think about your favorite book or author for a moment. Most likely they are your favorite because of the story or the way it is written right?

What is it about that book or author's style that you like so much and why?

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
Several writers come to mind at once.
W. Somerset Maugham, P. G. Wodehouse and Vladimir Nabokov - the ones who wrote in English. Maugham's style is absolutely adorable. It is simple, yet it conveys layers of subtlety. Wodehouse is a great mix of high-flown phrases used to convey very simple and funny meaning. In my mind that's what makes him so hilarious. And Nabokov is a great compiler. I am very sceptical about the subject matter of his novels, in my mind that sobject matter is not worth writing about, but the utter beauty of his style! I remember reading "Ada" and walking around for days, repeating just one phrase he used to describe one of the characters. It was something like - his hobby was "collecting old masters and young mistresses". Beautiful, laconic, and descriptive. Nothing left to say of that person.
I do prefer writers whose language is concise and to the point, and who yet manage to describe very deep and complex things via that simplicity of style.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
W. Somerset Maugham, P. G. Wodehouse and Vladimir Nabokov - the ones who wrote in English. Maugham's style is absolutely adorable. It is simple, yet it conveys layers of subtlety. Wodehouse is a great mix of high-flown phrases used to convey very simple and funny meaning. In my mind that's what makes him so hilarious. And Nabokov is a great compiler. I am very sceptical about the subject matter of his novels, in my mind that sobject matter is not worth writing about, but the utter beauty of his style! I remember reading "Ada" and walking around for days, repeating just one phrase he used to describe one of the characters. It was something like - his hobby was "collecting old masters and young mistresses". Beautiful, laconic, and descriptive. Nothing left to say of that person.
I do prefer writers whose language is concise and to the point, and who yet manage to describe very deep and complex things via that simplicity of style.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
Posting that twice was an error - I didn't mean to make myself sound twice as smart :lol:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I haven't read a whole lot of fiction, but I have read just about everything by Tom Robbins. His unique style and turn of phrase never cease to catch you by surprise and rip a laugh out of you gut.