evolution and religion

humanbeing

Electoral Member
Jul 21, 2006
RE: evolution and religio

Well, I'm not to upset about being related to the monkeys. In fact, I feel nothing is wrong at all in knowing that I have common ancestors with the reptiles and fish and fungi of today.

By the way, here is a great website for all. I dedicate this link to all the people who have religious beliefs.

Why Does God Hate Amputees
http://whydoesgodhateamputees.com/

humanbeing

Electoral Member
Jul 21, 2006

Of course, I don't have a problem with this, perhaps because I am an atheist, and am apparently among the minority, as you suggest lady hawk. Just tried to look for the demographics, and this was one of the things I've found

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism#Demographics

I guess what I was trying to get at is that Science hasn't been able to present it to the public in a way that most people really understand, and will accept. I guess it's sort of like the Earth is round business centuaries ago - believe it or not, I have a neighbour here in Spain (he's 50) that doesn't believe the Earth spins, nor does he really understand the idea of gravity. Most of us tend to forget that there is still a lot of ignorance out there and that is what the Church feeds on.

I don't know if I blame science for not being "able to present it to the public in a way that most people really understand, and will accept"... Science has already done its part (and will continue to do so), and the whole thing about evolution and what not, really is not complicated at all.

I just think the religions do a good enough job of keeping their share of people delusional. I mean, how are you supposed to combat some delusions when they are pushed down your throat the moment you are born? It can be a tough thing to handle. When you see tons of other people believing in a religion, perhaps attending their merry masses, it can make the whole thing seem quite appealing.

I'm not sure if atheism if growing relative to theism. I do know that there are more atheists around than ever at this point, and that is better than having few or none. We also know now that theists do not have proof on their side.

I guess as a member of society, I should make it somewhat of a duty to help those around me -friends and family- learn to deal with their delusions. I have had some success. I have convinced my mother and grandfather that there is no reason to believe in god, after all.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
For there to be an objective reality absolute and
unchanging with or without observers might provide
stability to who ???

Science headlines have proclaimed often how the
existence of an observer changes the object observed.

So I wonder if humanbeing and Dexter Sinister are
completely right in asserting an absoluteness to a reality
whether observed or not observed.

If not observed, I guess reality doesn't change.

But what good is that ?

LOL !!!

humanbeing

Electoral Member
Jul 21, 2006

So I wonder if humanbeing and Dexter Sinister are
completely right in asserting an absoluteness to a reality
whether observed or not observed.

Humans weren't around to witness the beginning of the universe (or were we??), but we now have an understanding that the universe was around billions of years before we were.

Does that mean that something else was around to observe things? Perhaps god?

If you answer yes, then do we have any proof?

If you figure the answer is no or maybe, then does it mean that our own idealist thoughts of the universe (or perhaps god's thoughts & actions) have conspired to make the universe just seem like it is 13 billion years old, when it's origins would actually be whenever entities with the ability to think and observe began to exist (is that a paradox)?

If you answer yes, then once again we must prove it...

If you answer no, then you are on the same page as I am.

This can be attacked a zillion different ways, and it has nothing to stand on except the imagination. Which is apparently all some people need... heh heh.

By the way, nobody has all the answers, but to take this approach in particular seems to be counterproductive or at least extremely unproductive.

lady_hawk_ca

Sep 11, 2006
I honestly don't think there are more atheist in today's world...I think they have always been around and in quite a large number. Ex: My father and his siblings were born in Spain during Franco's regime and everyone was baptised whether they wanted to be or not... They went to Church and had all the hoopla stuffed down their throats - my grandfather, grandmother, father, uncle and my sister and myself are not religious - at all. Actually, the only seriously religous person I know is my aunt. I think before people didn't dare speak out about there ideals for fear of being persecuted, killed or simply ridiculed and treated as an outcast; and I think a lot of older people are "religious" because it was a social thing - no TV - so people went to Church functions or gatherings.

I really think being an atheist or not makes very little difference one way or the other, you could still be an atheist and still not accept Science's explanation of evolution - I've met people who believe we were put here by beings from another planet, others that we've evolved from another species that used to live here and became extinct... Who really knows, as Humanbeing says, were we here at the beginning of time? No, so I think we have to be openminded about all possibities and not close ourselves off to new ideas. Science has had to correct itself more than once in History because we are constantly advancing and discovering new things.