EnCana Skyscraper Building

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
...anyone else hear about Encana planning to build a new skyscraper in Calgary?...I read about it a few times in the paper this summer.....

..the tallest building in Calgary current is the Petro- Canada building I think its around 700ft tall....which would make it the tallest skyscraper in western Canada and taller that any in Montreal....... Toronto is the only city with a taller skyscraper..and I believe it has a couple of buildings in the 900ft range.

....but Encana is planning 2 towers in downtown Calgary and one of them is set to surpass in height the Petro-Canada building....I think Encana will have around 8 or 9 more floors...which will hopefully put it close to or above 800ft.

.....but I coulden't find the specific height the building is planned to be all i know is that its around 60 floors or so....if anyone has more info be sure to share it.....

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
RE: EnCana Skyscraper

....It will be pretty exciting watching this thing go up especially if its gonna be that tall.....I drive by downtown almost daily and will get to see the thing in progress....one thing I have never seen before is the actual building of a skyscraper....

...I also read about a building called the Shangri La being built in Vancouver.... it's only gonna be 640ft but will be tallest building in Vancouver yet.....its supposedly has a condo at the very top that is something like 20 million dollars....

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
Re: EnCana Skyscraper

......if you look at my Avatar the building on the far left with the white top is one of the twin buildings tied for second tallest buildings in Calgary...... soon to be tied for 3rd or 4th tallest depending on the new Encana towers....

Tell us more about your fascination with long, hard things, Hank.

...hey bud im not the one preoccupied with homosexual fantasys.... pretty bad :violent3:

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto

this si great news! its good that Calgary isnt involved in a massive buildoff like other cities around the world*cough* dubai*cough*. Canada currently needs an extra 16 million square feet of office space and this encana proposal as well as the new cadillac-fairview building in T.O should help.

I think the idea that highrise is a phallic symbol is a rather superficial look at such buildings. granted the Cn Tower/skydome does look like a penis and vagina but thats where it should end. High rise buildings are a necessary elemnt in an urban neighbourhood and theres no reason why it cant be aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.

thanks for the link..... from what I heard the Caddilac Fairview is high rise condos not skyscrapers....but you know how tall the buildings are planned?

you hear about the Shangri La in Vancouver?

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto

thanks for the link..... from what I heard the Caddilac Fairview is high rise condos not skyscrapers....but you know how tall the buildings are planned?

its a consortium between cadillac-fairview and Ritz-Carleton. Two buildings are planned, one the ritz-carlton hotel condo 48 storeys and the other a 51 storey office building. they should be up by 2008! most highrise construction is condos in to and pretty poor quality. Trump tower should be the tallest when its done construction 2008 at 68 storeys 1,048 feet.

havent heard about the shngri-la but will research when im free, thanks.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Hank.......gotta ask. What is this fascination with having the tallest building??? What kind of competition is this??? What does it achieve??? It almost sounds like some kind of "worship" (fetish??).... maybe some power trip???

How will it make Calgary a higher QUALITY city??? Or is it just cosmetics.???

or am I missing something much "deeper"??? :wink:

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto

What is this fascination with having the tallest building??? What kind of competition is this???
1) just like any creation of humanity it is revered,(fire, ships, cars etc.) by building these things big or taller or faster we are pushing the lid on what humans can or cannot do and celebrating our humanity.

What does it achieve??? It almost sounds like some kind of "worship" (fetish??).... maybe some power trip???

2) This building will house the headquarters of Encana, whose offices are currently in a multitued of different buildings. By centralising their headquarters in one building, they are saving money in the long-term, increasing efficiency and consumer approval ratings. They are also creating sunrise jobs (jobs available because of another industry) such as restarurants, daycare services etc, which benefits the economy and the consumers, which brings me to your final question:

3) Construction will provide more than 2,000 new permanent jobs for 3 years (based on construction specs for a 2 million square foot building) it will also creative sunrise jobs(i think the ratio is 1 to 2.2 not sure though). As new office space is required, the vacant former offices of excana will in turn be leased to other companies, providing for huge investment in the province and a great benefit to Calgary, improving standard of living, lower unemployment levels. I think its great that calgary is taking advantage of its relatively low rent prices for this sort of thing. It also gives calgary more of a spotlight and a crown for business in alberta. Aesthetic purposes are also a consideration though most skyscrapers built nowadays have poor architecture.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

nitzomoe said:
What is this fascination with having the tallest building??? What kind of competition is this???
1) just like any creation of humanity it is revered,(fire, ships, cars etc.) by building these things big or taller or faster we are pushing the lid on what humans can or cannot do and celebrating our humanity.

What does it achieve??? It almost sounds like some kind of "worship" (fetish??).... maybe some power trip???

2) This building will house the headquarters of Encana, whose offices are currently in a multitued of different buildings. By centralising their headquarters in one building, they are saving money in the long-term, increasing efficiency and consumer approval ratings. They are also creating sunrise jobs (jobs available because of another industry) such as restarurants, daycare services etc, which benefits the economy and the consumers, which brings me to your final question:

3) Construction will provide more than 2,000 new permanent jobs for 3 years (based on construction specs for a 2 million square foot building) it will also creative sunrise jobs(i think the ratio is 1 to 2.2 not sure though). As new office space is required, the vacant former offices of excana will in turn be leased to other companies, providing for huge investment in the province and a great benefit to Calgary, improving standard of living, lower unemployment levels. I think its great that calgary is taking advantage of its relatively low rent prices for this sort of thing. It also gives calgary more of a spotlight and a crown for business in alberta. Aesthetic purposes are also a consideration though most skyscrapers built nowadays have poor architecture.

the questions posed were essentially rhetorical. :)

What you describe.......is understood. Applies to most new massive projects.

It is likely to give Calgary a more defined identity. (West Edmonton Mall ......"defines" Edmonton . Cities .....just as man..... strive for that unique identity.

( it is also an ego thing as well.........IMHO).....;-)

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto

nitzomoe said:
its a consortium between cadillac-fairview and Ritz-Carleton. Two buildings are planned, one the ritz-carlton hotel condo 48 storeys and the other a 51 storey office building. they should be up by 2008! most highrise construction is condos in to and pretty poor quality. Trump tower should be the tallest when its done construction 2008 at 68 storeys 1,048 feet.

havent heard about the shngri-la but will research when im free, thanks.

As far as I know, there is no relationship between Cadillac Fairview and the Ritz Carlton. The latter has been on the books for at least a couple years, but the Cadillac Fairview tower was just announced. Good for the City, anyway... hopefully will restart the downtown commercial bldg construction. And someday something will be done about "the stump".

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto

As far as I know, there is no relationship between Cadillac Fairview and the Ritz Carlton. The latter has been on the books for at least a couple years, but the Cadillac Fairview tower was just announced. Good for the City, anyway... hopefully will restart the downtown commercial bldg construction. And someday something will be done about "the stump".

the recent announcement for the cadillac-fairview building stated two buildings were to built, the cadillac-fairview office building and directly across the road the ritz-calton. Both buildings are practically identical in design too. Such a relationship exists to CF's benefit as it will be taking a 40% investment and control of the ritz-carleton building.

This was in a recent Toronto star article which i cant find :( but more info can be found http://cpnonline.com/cpn/specialties/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001218323