emergency housing

tmapj

Nov 16, 2005
Hi, ive got a screwed up situation..
My future wife is in canada and needs a place to stay but cant afford to move out from her mom. I need to go to canada to be with her because im not going to have a place to stay in a little while. Is there any way she and I could get temporary housing or subsidized housing for a little while while we get on out feet?

p.s. she lives in toronto

annabattler

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2005
Some "emergency" housing requests are met immediately,depending on the urgency.
However,most people are put on a list for subsidized housing(and it's a lengthy one...some seniors I know have been waiting for subsidized housing for eight years).
Lots of other variables,like income,etc.

tmapj

Nov 16, 2005
oh ok well i have zero income and she makes near minimum wage and if we dont get subsidized housing we will have to stay in a homeless shelter

tmapj

Nov 16, 2005
could you please tell me the name of the organization that runs this or how i could contact them?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I don't get how you expect to land in Canada with no money and no job. You should probably goto the "Coming to Canada" forum first and figure out how to get into the country to begin with.

I just don't agree that someone should be able to come here and get social housing without even contributing to the tax-base.

tmapj

Nov 16, 2005
more info:
im going to marry a canadian woman.
im temporarial disabled.
i was a student and had a job before i became disabled and have every intention of continuing when im through with my disability.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
tmapj

It sounds like you are trying to do something you can't afford to do. You said you had been a student. Are your studies finished? Are you qualified to do anything above a minimum wage job? I think you should check with Canadian Immigration.

tmapj

Nov 16, 2005
thanks juan but money shouldnt be an issue since im marrying a canadain woman. Im not finished with my studies and cant work but will be going back to both in a year

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
tmapj

How are you traveling to Canada. Minimum wage is not enough for one person to live on let alone two. Are you living with parents now? Are you getting any disability compensation right now? Sounds like you should wait for a while.

tmapj

Nov 16, 2005
someone is helping me with a ticket. yes im living with parents at the moment and getting disability. Why do you think i should wait a while?

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Some univeristies offer campus housing to marred couples. Other than that, I don't think there is a city or town in t his country who would offer city or subsidezed housing to anyone in your situation. I could be wrong, but your choices seem limited to the YMCA.

tmapj

Nov 16, 2005
thanks said1. could i contact you by any chance? how expensive are the rooms provided by ymca?

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
tmapj said:
thanks said1. could i contact you by any chance? how expensive are the rooms provided by ymca?

What do you want to contact me for?

At one time, many of my friends lived at the YMCA after being kicked out of their house. I checked the cost of a room and it is now $50 a night. Things change I guess. Sorry.

tmapj

Nov 16, 2005
i just found out we cannot apply for subsidized housing since I am not a permanent resident. Does anyone knwo of any housing help organizations i could contact?

Durgan

Durgan
Oct 19, 2005
Brantford, ON
www.durgan.org
What the bald headed christ is this insane thread discussing?

It appears somebody is trying to come to Canada to live on welfare and wants free housing for his broken body, and probably free medical care, and probably subsidized tuition. If this is the case, he had applied to the right country. He will be accommodated. This is Canada.

Durgan.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
Sorry tmpaj, but we have an affordable housing crisis in every province, in pretty much every city. I'm afraid that you will more than likely have to put your name on a waiting list. Get your future wife to do this, she's here, she can contact agencies in her area/province that might be able to help. Maybe by the time you get here something will come up.

Good luck.