Down with dual citizenship!

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Dual Citizenship is a stupid idea, serving the interests of opportunists who seek to have practical benefits of two nations while showing loyalty to neither.

Either you are a citizen of Canada or you aren't. So many peole I know gain citizenship just to reap benefit without any sense of loyalty.

Any thoughts?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I agree that some people shouldn't have been given Canadian citizenship to begin with. For example, the ones that arrive at Toronto Pearson with no luggage or money who are instructed to come back in 3 years to pick up their passport. But allowing only one citizenship is so middle-age. What benefits does one reap if they are not in Canada but hold Canadian citizenship? You get to vote for the next 5 years if you plan to return, but there's nothing much past that.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Re: RE: Down with dual citizenship!

Andem said:
What benefits does one reap if they are not in Canada but hold Canadian citizenship? You get to vote for the next 5 years if you plan to return, but there's nothing much past that.

You get to move around and travel under the flag of Canada which is respected worldwide. If you get into trouble, you have the Canadian government to try and help you.

I have nothing against people moving around, but citizenship should be more than just convenience. Even if I moved away from Canada, I would stay Canadian. I would understand and respect the fact that I would not be entitiled to and have the same rights as citizens of my new home country. If I did one day, decide to take up citizenship of my new lands, I would expect Canada to renounce my Canadian citizenship.

I know folk who use a second passport (US or EU) just to avoid visa fees and line ups at airports; to me this is terrible.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Now, I want to do humanitarian work either with the UN or UNICEF. How about if it takes me away from Canada for many years, more than the five year period. I am always going to be Canadian and I always want to be Canadian, except for that wee time when I was a young teenager. Shouldn't I have canadian citizenship?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka

DasFX said:
Andem said:
What benefits does one reap if they are not in Canada but hold Canadian citizenship? You get to vote for the next 5 years if you plan to return, but there's nothing much past that.

You get to move around and travel under the flag of Canada which is respected worldwide. If you get into trouble, you have the Canadian government to try and help you.

I have nothing against people moving around, but citizenship should be more than just convenience. Even if I moved away from Canada, I would stay Canadian. I would understand and respect the fact that I would not be entitiled to and have the same rights as citizens of my new home country. If I did one day, decide to take up citizenship of my new lands, I would expect Canada to renounce my Canadian citizenship.

I know folk who use a second passport (US or EU) just to avoid visa fees and line ups at airports; to me this is terrible.

I have an EU passport by birthright, and even if I did want to renounce it, it is a difficult task to give it up. I live in the EU so it would be quite annoying living there without an EU passport. I don't feel guilty about having both and having allegiance to both nationalities. This doesn't mean that I won't return to Canadian society one day, I'm just living on the other side of the globe right now.

A Canadian passport is becoming less and less valuable these days anyways. We give them out to the masses of non-Canadians. Why shouldn't a Canadian, who grew up in this country, be denied the right to Canadian citizenship as opposed to "refugees" who never really integrate into society?

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
A Canadian passport is becoming less and less valuable these days anyways. We give them out to the masses of non-Canadians. Why shouldn't a Canadian, who grew up in this country, be denied the right to Canadian citizenship as opposed to "refugees" who never really integrate into society?

Show me evidence that refugees do not integrate into society.

Some are on welfare, yes, but is it because they are not trying to work in Canada, or because the conditions are too difficult.

Immigrants, Refugees, and 'true' Canadians should all deserve Canadian citizenship if they want to first, abide by the rules of this country, make this country better and finally, want to have connections to this country.

Not use this country to hop into America.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Jersay said:
Now, I want to do humanitarian work either with the UN or UNICEF. How about if it takes me away from Canada for many years, more than the five year period. I am always going to be Canadian and I always want to be Canadian, except for that wee time when I was a young teenager. Shouldn't I have canadian citizenship?

Of course you should, I am not suggesting otherwise. But if your travels you actively sought and become a citizen of another country, then you should not be allowed to retain your Canadian citizenship.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California

DasFX said:
[You get to move around and travel under the flag of Canada which is respected worldwide. If you get into trouble, you have the Canadian government to try and help you.

I really don't think it matters what "flag" I travel under when I go abroad. Most people just assume I'm American and I haven't noticed any different treatment when I correct them.

I really don't care if someone has dual citizenship. I think it's somewhat unreasonable to expect people to forget the country of their birth just because they live somewhere else. I don't even care if people use their citizenship to avoid problems with work permits or visas. Since most countries don't really recognize dual citizenship in any meaningful way, they aren't getting any special treatment. As far as the Canadian government is concerned, if you have Canadian citizenship you are a Canadian end of story. You don't get any benes for holding a US passport.

I also don't see how people with dual citizensip aren't being loyal.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario

Andem said:
Why shouldn't a Canadian, who grew up in this country, be denied the right to Canadian citizenship?

I am not advocating such a stance, however if you become a citizen of another country, then it should be automatic that you are not a citizen of this country. How can you wear two hats?

By your own words, you suggest that you wish to retain your EU passport mostly for practical purposes of living in Europe. How are you any different from those refugees you speak of who simply use Canadian citizenship for their own advantages.

Are you loyal to the EU or do you just want the passport cause then you can travel, live and work freely in Europe?

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005

Andem said:

Have you ever tried to get into the EU with a passport from an African country? A Canadian passport is still worth its weight in gold if you travel a lot. Granted there are more visa requirements than there were 20 years ago but that is true for all nationalities.

About 10 years ago I went to the Immigration office to pick up the citizenship forms. I was only there a few minutes and then I left. I couldn't do it. I only have the one passport.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario

tracy said:
I think it's somewhat unreasonable to expect people to forget the country of their birth just because they live somewhere else.

My parents came here and become Canadian citizens, but they certainly haven't forgotten their home nation. The accepted the fact that to be an active participant in Canadian society, one would have to become a citizen and so they did.

It all depends on how one views citizenship, if you view it as a form of bureaucracy, then sure, why not have citizenship of every land. I see citizenship as part of who I am. I am a Canadian citizen. I would never consider travelling under another nation's passport, even if it meant less red tape, cost and scrutiny.

Is this the society we are trying to build, a society based on entitlement and the motto of use and abuse? Citizenship is based on loyalty and allegiance.

Look at the new Oath of citizenship,

"From this day forward, I pledge my loyalty and allegiance to Canada and Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada. I promise to respect our country's rights and freedoms, to defend our democratic values, to faithfully observe our laws and fulfil my duties and obligations as a Canadian citizen."

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California

DasFX said:
[Is this the society we are trying to build, a society based on entitlement and the motto of use and abuse? Citizenship is based on loyalty and allegiance.

"From this day forward, I pledge my loyalty and allegiance to Canada and Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada. I promise to respect our country's rights and freedoms, to defend our democratic values, to faithfully observe our laws and fulfil my duties and obligations as a Canadian citizen."

I don't see why you can't do that just because you are also an Eu citizen or something. There are a lot of dual citizens who probably contribute more to Canada than those who are only Canadian. I have friends who are dual citizens and I don't think I'm a better Canadian just because I'm not. Heck, they still live in Canada, I'm the one who left.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario

tracy said:
DasFX said:
[Is this the society we are trying to build, a society based on entitlement and the motto of use and abuse? Citizenship is based on loyalty and allegiance.

I don't see why you can't do that just because you are also an Eu citizen or something. There are a lot of dual citizens who probably contribute more to Canada than those who are only Canadian. I have friends who are dual citizens and I don't think I'm a better Canadian just because I'm not. Heck, they still live in Canada, I'm the one who left.

Your opinion is your own, but I certainly don't want to stand shoulder to shoulder with a bunch of fence sitters who can flip at a moment's notice. What is so wrong with asking people to make a choice?

If one lives in the US, you can still be Canadian. This I am not denying, but why become a US citizen? Most Canucks do so for practical reasons, not because they want to drape themselves in Old Glory and recite the Pledge of Alligence every morning. To me this is wrong. That is just using American citizenship. If you want to be an American who can actively participant in American issues and government, then by all means become one, but don't expect to have it both ways by also being Canadian.

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth
:D .....Perhaps, then, I'm an opportunist. For me its about spreading culture, sharing skills, and experience. I am Canadian, I was born here and live here . But appreciate that my family roots are else where, and that I can be a part of it. I am grateful to be able to live, and travel, freely, where I choose. How can this be stupid????

We in Canada are a mutli-cultural society. Founded and built by people who immigrated from around the world. Many of whom, kept dual status, or never even became citizens. What loyalty and dedication, these people had eh?
Andem, my father showed up here, in Toronto, with no luggage, ......... because he was wearing all his clothes ( & no $ because he spent it on a plane ticket). Everything else he owned, was in his pockets. The benefits he got were being able to live in this country, and continue his education. He got a job put himself thru school, got his masters in Science, and taught high school for 35 yrs. He maintains a dual citizenship, but has been living in Canada for 45 yrs. When asked, while traveling, where he is from, he will tell you CANADA.... .

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth

[ Quote] We give them out to the masses of non-Canadians.
??????... ...other than the natives, we are all from somewhere else.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
people should be able to have as many citizenships as they desire.

heck, i am even for free market citizenship. If somebody does not want their, for purposes of this thread, canadian citizenship anymore they should be free to sell it to the highest bidder.

Loyalty, now why should anybody hold loyalty to a country? It is a geopolitical creation and nothing more. It is an area bounded by black lines drawn on a map.

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth

the caracal kid said:
people should be able to have as many citizenships as they desire.

heck, i am even for free market citizenship. If somebody does not want their, for purposes of this thread, canadian citizenship anymore they should be free to sell it to the highest bidder.

Loyalty, now why should anybody hold loyalty to a country? It is a geopolitical creation and nothing more. It is an area bounded by black lines drawn on a map.

:thumbleft:

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
I have no problem with dual citizenship. I've been thinking about getting my Irish Citizenship this year myself.

I don't have divided loyalities and to think this way is a step backwards into our racist past beliefs.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
I believe we can allow dual citizenship, but selectively. We need to look at what other nationality this individual seeking Canadian/American citizenship holds. If a war or other type of armed conflict were to break out against a rogue nation, we want to be sure our citizen will not go and fight for the enemy. There are also espionage/nationa l security issues to consider.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Nascar_James said:
I believe we can allow dual citizenship, but selectively. We need to look at what other nationality this individual seeking Canadian/American citizenship holds. If a war or other type of armed conflict were to break out against a rogue nation, we want to be sure our citizen will not go and fight for the enemy. There are also espionage/nationa l security issues to consider.

Whatever, if your going to be a terrorist or whatever, you could be one and be a landed immorgrant or even a tourist. At least if you check up on people who apply for Duel citizenship you actually start making a file on them and can look into there activies from the other nation.

Even if war breaks out with there mother nation both the USA and Canada had internment camps for the Japeness, and they were Canadian and American citizens. So I don't see how not allowing dual citizenship changes anything.

I don't see how being a citizen for Libiya (foe/rogue nation nothing to do with 9/11) or Saudia Arbia (Ally of the USA and the nation of most of the terrorists of 9/11) have anything to do with it. Friendly and rogue nations have little to do with this.