Does this Freak anyone else out?

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
It is quite possible that I am paranoid...but when I scroll down to the bottom of the page to see who is online I see all of these "guests" 8O All of these people who can read what I have to say without ever saying a word, seems kind of like a stalker 8O or at least a peeper:scratch: glad I don't strip in that pic I posted :twisted:

Has anyone else thought about this?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Yes, they are guest users who are reading the forums over the past 10 minutes or so. Some of them are also robots which crawl the site.

jjw1965

Electoral Member
Jul 8, 2005
Many terms are used to label the software programs used to index websites. Most refer to them as web crawlers, web robots, webbots, or spiders. Web crawlers, robots, and spiders are used by many companies to retrieve information about your website. They are often automated and are programmed to simply follow hyperlinks throughout the web. Search engines are the most well known users of spiders, but others use them as well. All in all, crawlers, robots and spiders make up a significant number of the "website visitors" for a well established site.

The Google robot, known as Googlebot, will visit a well established site several times a day to check for updates. Of all the spiders who traverse the sites for which we have web log access, Googlebot is by far the most active, on average around twice as active as the Yahoo! crawler and six times more active than the new msnbot spider. On their website, Google refers to Googlebot as "Google's web crawler" and as "Google's web-crawling robot."

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
RE: Does this Freak anyon

Manda ... lots of times the guests are on the other part of the site, not here at the forums. This site is quite large and lots of the visitors don't even come to this part. And as Missile said, often people will hang out and read the posts before they bother to join. I've done that at other forums to see if I want to go to the trouble.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

That's no fun at all Cosmo. I prefer to think that we're being monitored by aliens or Soviet spies that have been forgotten in a secret underground bunker and don't know the Cold War is over.

bulldog

Electoral Member
Jun 16, 2005
Re: RE: Does this Freak anyon

Reverend Blair said:
That's no fun at all Cosmo. I prefer to think that we're being monitored by aliens or Soviet spies that have been forgotten in a secret underground bunker and don't know the Cold War is over.

Speaking of that, Rev, don't you want to laugh when you see all those old movies where the bad guys are Soviet spies? What a joke!

Bull Dog

Andygal

Electoral Member
May 13, 2005
BC

a little paranoia is a smart thing in this day and age. One must keep a paranoid eye on the government to make sure they don't do anything nasty.

bulldog

Electoral Member
Jun 16, 2005

Reverend Blair said:
You mean like Bullwinkle?

No, actually, I was thinking about some of the older James Bond films. But there were others. Now, if you watch them now, the bad guy isn't very convincing.

Bull Dog

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC

Reverend Blair said:

I didn't say they WEREN'T aliens Rev! The Mothership is monitoring us at all times! Didn't you get the memo?

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005

Cosmo said:
Reverend Blair said:

I didn't say they WEREN'T aliens Rev! The Mothership is monitoring us at all times! Didn't you get the memo?

You Earthlings are a precious bunch, ermm, We Earthlings..., that is ;)

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Are those the little green men or hte little grey men?