Deep Intergration

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
I was reading this article this a.m and was wondering what was meant by "deep integration" I'm just exploring who the council of Canadians are also ,any ideas or comments on the council ??

http://www.canadians.org/DI/issues/guide/FAQ.html

INTEGRATE THIS!A Citizen’s Guide to Fighting Deep Integration
Download in PDF format
What is “deep integration?”

Deep integration is the harmonization of policies and regulations that govern the foods we eat, the items we buy, and how we live. It is the formation of a new North America that effectively erases the border between Canada and the United States in the interest of trade north of the border and to appease security
concerns south of the border.
Who is pushing this agenda?
Big business interests on both sides of the border are pushing for stronger economic and political ties between Canada and the United States. Led in Canada by the Canadian Council of Chief Executives (CCCE), an organization representing Canada’s richest 150 corporations, and supported by national and regional
right-wing think tanks like the C.D. Howe Institute, Fraser Institute and the Atlantic Institute for Market Studies, corporate groups are lobbying the Canadian government to get rid of border restrictions and policy differences with the U.S. in order to maximize their profits.
How is deep integration happening?
The Canadian government made a clear commitment to deep integration with the U.S. by signing the Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America (SPP). In March 2005, former prime minister Paul Martin, along with U.S. President George Bush and former Mexican president Vicente Fox, agreed to take steps toward regulatory harmonization, a continental resource pact (which could open up access to Canadian resources like energy and water) and a “North American Security Perimeter.” Following the signing of this agreement, government representatives began working even more closely with corporate Canada, to find ways to merge commerce, trade, immigration, food safety and many other policies and regulations.
What is the state of integration?
A “progress” report in June 2005 revealed that representatives of all three countries were considering: electricity and gas collaboration; establishing a North American food safety coordinating mechanism; developing compatible immigration security measures; and sharing terrorist watch list data, among many other things. In March 2006, Prime Minister Stephen Harper formalized the involvement of corporate Canada in the SPP by helping create the North American Competitiveness Council (NACC), a group of 30 CEOs from all three countries whose recommendations on continental economic integration will avoid all
public scrutiny.
Why should we be concerned?
The deep integration agenda is being implemented without debate or input from the public. The SPP was signed without the backing of Parliament, and without the general knowledge or acceptance of the Canadian public. Government committees and working groups continue to forge ahead with this big business agenda, and if it continues, the public will only find out about the details after the deals are signed

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
NAFTA was another milestone in integration. The recent energy scare at the pumps in Ontario has many Canadians suddenly aware that deep integration, a la NAFTA, has made it impossible to guarantee the country's future energy security. Now don't get us talking about water.
The public needs to have more input and control over such agreements. It all comes down to what I've said before: are governments managers or owners?

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
This sound right !!!??

Water is vital to people’s health and livelihoods. In Canada, there is no national strategy to address urgent water issues and no federal leadership to conserve and protect our water. The Federal Water Policy is over 20 years old and badly outdated. Our freshwater faces crises including contamination, shortages and pressure to export water to the United States through pipelines and diversions.
Letter to Prime Minister Harper (PDF) on International Women’s Day to call on the Canadian government to endorse the right to water.
World Water Day March 22
Click here to view our new toolkit and find events in your area!
Declaration on the Right to Water (PDF)
NEW for teachers! Lesson Plan provided by the Council of Canadians. Includes key questions, talking points, sample municipal water declaration, follow-up activities.
The Council of Canadians’ water campaign is calling for a national water policy that protects Canada’s water from bulk exports and privatization, because:
  • The free market doesn’t guarantee access to water;
  • Bulk exports could open the floodgates to trade challenges;
  • Canada’s water supply is limited;
  • Public water is safer, cleaner and more affordable; and
  • Water is essential for people and nature.
Click here to find out how Deep Integration affects Water.

Visit the Blue Planet Project website. It is an international civil society movement begun by The Council of Canadians to protect the world’s fresh water from the growing threats of trade and privatization.
http://www.canadians.org/water/index.html

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Big business runs government. They are always looking for larger market and this would give them exactly what they want. Some countries will profit and others will pay. Governments and industries will be happy but what about the people. I know we need progress but it needs to be beneficial to everyone.

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
I see the people in Canada, the average wage earners becoming the poor very quickly --and the big business shoveling more and more material dangling carrots and credit there way --creating a " I own you" atmosphere ,,
I dont think US-CAN-MEX is a good idea

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I'm just exploring who the council of Canadians are also ,any ideas or comments on the council ??

Yeah, they are Mel Hurtig subculturalists that spread gloom doom and misinformation.

And I have a question regarding this water "issue". The amount of water on earth has remained constant over the past 2 billion years. Canada is rich in water, to the extent that you allow fresh water to the tune of billions of gallons per day to be poured into the sea.

You are perfectly willing to export oil, a non-renewable resource, but don't even want to hear anything about exporting water, a renewable resource.

Why?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The act of benign integration with the one is admirable and much sought after. The act of being deeply integrated into the corporate monolithe is living in despicability itself.:laughing7:

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
LOL

Like I said Im just exploring ,some concerns are vaild but ,what is the motivation of the Council ??

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I'm against any further integration with the USA until that state becomes a little more stable and sensibly run. Won't be holding my breath

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Mel Hurtig used to be a rightwinger from Alberta..but guess he had a change of heart somewhere along the way. Although I am on their mailing list, and just recently received another plea to help them fight the exportation of our water to the USA, I can't find it either in my heart or wallet to support them.