David Orchard's money, debt refinancing

Scape

Electoral Member
Nov 12, 2004
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

Your inflation example of German and Argentina are excellent examples of hyperinflation. This means more money is was being printed but not more value. This created the spiraling cycle of inflation.

At no time in the CAP proposal is there anything about printing more money. If x is the net total of wealth in the system before the 50/50 split the CAP proposal is not to change that constant. This is why inflation is not an issue, for there is no more money being printed than what is already accounted for in the economy. Banks are not loaning for public works and interest is being paid to the bank of Canada, no profit on taxpayer money for to do so is an invisible tax that we are paying now and it is showing up here in the Billions.

But if the government offered zero interest rate loans, it would put the banks out of business altogether because their funding costs are higher.

Again, Banks will not have any change in private loans and corporate loans. There is no conflict of interests vs the banks but there is certainly a conflict vs the government and the taxpayers of Canada.

The contradiction your seeing is the one you are creating by your appraisal but that is not the fault of the CAP platform, that is your problem.

Toro

Senate Member
Scape said:
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

Dude, I have the letters behind my name and the experience to back it up. If its BS to you, that's because you don't understand it. Besides, you told me earlier that the 8% capital ratios were eliminated. That is flat out wrong. Who's spinning the BS around here?

Scape said:
At no time in the CAP proposal is there anything about printing more money. If x is the net total of wealth in the system before the 50/50 split the CAP proposal is not to change that constant. This is why inflation is not an issue, for there is no more money being printed than what is already accounted for in the economy.

I mean no disrespect because I'm sure you are an intelligent person, but you have no idea how money is created and how monetary policy works. Re-read my above post about high-powered money. To explain further, governments influence and control the money supply both by legislation, such as determining adequate capital ratios, and monetary policy, by altering interest rates. If the government increases the required capital ratios, loans must be called in to decrease the leverage on the banks' balance sheets and increase the capital ratios. This sucks money out of the system.

Banks' capital fluctuates. At times the capital ratios may fall slightly below the required rate. The BoC allows banks to borrow in the overnight repo (repurchase) market from the central bank to make up for this shortfall. You guys are misleading people by saying banks aren't charged interest by the BoC. This is false. The BoC charges interest for those loans, which is currently around 2.5%. When the bank changes the interest rate it charges on short-term loans, this rate changes. When the BoC increases interest rates, what it does is issues bonds to banks. The effect of this is to take currency out of the financial system as currency is exchanged for the bonds. When the BoC wants to lower rates, it buys back bonds, which increases currency supply.

If you are charging the government of Canada low interest rate loans, what you are doing is buying bonds from the government of Canada and issuing currency. This is why it is false when you say that there would be no inflation. The only way to keep the money supply constant is have the BoC turn around and sell bonds back to the private sector, which increases interest rates for every one else. There is no other way. To argue otherwise is to demonstrate ignorance. This 50/50 breakdown you guys talk about is totally false, unless you are going to nationalize half the banking system.

Scape said:
Banks are not loaning for public works

Wait a second. You said earlier that the problem was interest being charged by foreign lenders.

Scape said:
Clearly your not paying attention. Right now to make a bridge, school, road, train a cop or build a ship we need to make a loan. That loan is only done to private banks, not the public one. I am not suggesting the general public (the free market) have access to such rates if I did you might have a leg to stand on but as it is your talking out your ass. We are still paying HIGH interests to PRIVATE banks for PUBLIC infrastructure.

How can banks be charging high interest rates but not be lending any money. Which is it? It can't be both.

Scape said:
and interest is being paid to the bank of Canada, no profit on taxpayer money for to do so is an invisible tax that we are paying now and it is showing up here in the Billions.

Again, this is a false conclusion. There is no cost to the taxpayer. There is no hidden tax. Banks do not borrow at 0%. Banks costs of funds are borrowing costs, which includes deposits, GICs, equity capital required for reserve ratios, the repo market, the short-term debt market, etc.

Scape said:
But if the government offered zero interest rate loans, it would put the banks out of business altogether because their funding costs are higher.

Again, Banks will not have any change in private loans and corporate loans. There is no conflict of interests vs the banks but there is certainly a conflict vs the government and the taxpayers of Canada.

Again, this is false. As I explained earlier, the only way for this to be non-inflationary is for the government to take currency out of the private sector, which increases interest rates.

Scape said:
The contradiction your seeing is the one you are creating by your appraisal but that is not the fault of the CAP platform, that is your problem.

The CAP is full of contradictions, not by my appraisal, but by facts. If the CAP or any other party ever implemented such horrible policies, I would get mine and my family's money out of Canada as fast as possible. The CAP is foisting falsehoods about monetary policy and economies, propogated by ignorant (and I mean that in a non-derogatory way) people.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
lawn mower what your interest in Canada, just curious that all. Also dude, well I only speak for myself, but money could never make me leave my country...just the canadian way for lots of us trailer park gals and boys up here.

Toro

Senate Member
peapod said:
lawn mower what your interest in Canada, just curious that all. Also dude, well I only speak for myself, but money could never make me leave my country...just the canadian way for lots of us trailer park gals and boys up here.

I'm Canadian. It was hard leaving but it will be hard leaving America now that I've been down here for a while. I work in a specialized field of finance and couldn't find work in Canada.

Scape

Electoral Member
Nov 12, 2004
The current monetary system is fundamentally flawed. Consider this proposition: If nearly all of the new money created each year is created by private banks, which it is: and if all of that bank created money is created as debt, on interest that has to be paid, which is the case: and if no one creates any money with which to pay the interest, which is the current situation; what do you have to do? You have to borrow the money with which to pay the interest on what you already owe, and go deeper and deeper in debt in the process.

Look at all the debt of the 1st world nations. This debt is not because of some huge scandal of propagated spending, although there are many instances of corruption it does not come anywhere on par with the massive debt load on our society of the compound interest charged on our debt, worldwide, that is a direct result where most of the money is created as debt.

Furthermore, there is no way under the current system for the debt to be repaid. There is reshuffling of debt. Instead of government making the roads, schools, bridges, sewers, waterworks etc, etc that government needs to keep society working for now and the future it is outsourced to private companies who again borrow money to construct them. The amount of money require is now far more that what was originally intended for the same task and your in debt to the company store for life as it were. This is just generating huge waste.

The average interest rate on the debt is far higher than our countries GDP. We will never do anything but slowly drown... AT BEST!

Eventually we will have a meltdown that is called a recession and we write off some debt, the byproduct of this instability is even more waste. This system is only geared to work when someone, be that a business or government, is prepared to go in to even more debt. It is this was, and only this way, that the economy can expand and grow.

The only reason Canada did so well in the post WWII era was BONDS! The money creation system was shared with the government. The BoC provided the fed with large sums of near 0% interest money which gave it fiscal flexibility. In addition, interest rates were low in the 50' and 60's on par with the growth rate of the economy. Thus total debt grew in proportion to the economy but the debt to GDP ratio held steady.

It was the system of public/private money creation that got Canada out of the great depression, financed WWII, paid for the St Lawrence seaway, the trans-Canada highway, our airports and social security. TRY THAT NOW ON A LOAN FROM RBC!

If you need a modern day example then explain the Isle of Guernsey. No unemployment, modern infrastructure, low taxes and NO DEBT. All based on the 50/50 principal.

Lastly, on the 8% reserve. The reserve requirement is 0%. The Bank act of 1991 allowed the banks to spend the 8% (worth billions) on T-bills and bonds. In lieu of cash reserves, Canadian banks are not allowed to hold assists in excess of 20 times their paid up capital. At least that is what the law says but you of all people should know they have found means of stretching that limit. This new system called, "capitol adequacy", is quite inferior to the needs of a cash reserve. It is a system which the Bank of International settlements (BIS), with the HQ in Basle, Switzerland, used to switch the world banking system to 0% reserves in accord with the teachings of one Milton Friedman and his chums at the University of Chicago.

Friedman ideas support the deregulation of financial institutions and to get government out of the money creating business as much as possible. Accepting 0% cash reserve for deposit-taking institutions gives back to private banks a virtual monopoly on money creation.

In addition to putting the money creation function almost entirely in the hands of private sector, which history has shown time after time to be an unworkable system, "capitol adequacy" has the additional disadvantage of being a "risk-weighted" system. Under the BIS formula, adopted by our parliament, it can be more advantageous for banks to buy government bonds than to make commercial loans. This is because business loans are considered, "risky", and must be backed by 8% of the banks capitol compared to 5% for government bonds which are considered risk free. It is this bias against wealth creation that is the crucial flaw.

Our Dysfunctional Central Bank by William Krehm
Subsection (4) of Section 457 of Chapter 46 of the Statutes of Canada 1991 in its decennial revision of the Bank Act, phased out the requirement for our chartered banks to maintain reserves with the Bank of Canada [as a percentage of the deposits the banks held from the public]. “On the first day of the first month following the month this section comes into force, the primary reserve referred to in subsection (2) shall be reduced to 3%, and thereafter on the first day of the first month of each of the next three succeeding three-month periods, the primary reserve as modified by this subsection shall be reduced by 3%, and on the first day of the twenty-fifth month following the month in which this section comes into force, the primary reserve referred to in subsection (1) shall be nil.”

Toro

Senate Member
You raise interesting points. Your conclusion is wrong, but the points yor bring up are questions about whether or not societies should use government-created fiat money as such an arrangement is prone to inflation. That would lead us back to a system based on a hard material such as gold. The answer to your criticism is a return to the gold system, not some new fandangled monetary system you are proposing as it does not alleviate the problem. The effect of what you are proposing is to take the inflationary fiat mechanism which is controlled by the central banks through the banking system and placed in the hands of a government-nationalized banking system, which is the only way your scheme could work. However, as has been shown time and again throughout the world - China, Mexico - government-owned banks are less responsive to the market system and more responsive to the politcal system, which is inherently inflationary because people propogate policies such as this 50/50 nonsense. Your solution not only does not solve the problem of inflation, it exacerbates inflation by keeping interest rates low. There is a truism in economics that I will repeat again, and put it in big, giant letters;

You can control the price of something. You can control the supply of something. But you cannot control both.

If you control the price of money, i.e. you keep it low, then the supply will explode, which is inflationary.

Scape said:
The current monetary system is fundamentally flawed. Consider this proposition: If nearly all of the new money created each year is created by private banks, which it is: and if all of that bank created money is created as debt, on interest that has to be paid, which is the case: and if no one creates any money with which to pay the interest, which is the current situation; what do you have to do? You have to borrow the money with which to pay the interest on what you already owe, and go deeper and deeper in debt in the process.

Look at all the debt of the 1st world nations. This debt is not because of some huge scandal of propagated spending, although there are many instances of corruption it does not come anywhere on par with the massive debt load on our society of the compound interest charged on our debt, worldwide, that is a direct result where most of the money is created as debt.

Furthermore, there is no way under the current system for the debt to be repaid. There is reshuffling of debt. Instead of government making the roads, schools, bridges, sewers, waterworks etc, etc that government needs to keep society working for now and the future it is outsourced to private companies who again borrow money to construct them. The amount of money require is now far more that what was originally intended for the same task and your in debt to the company store for life as it were. This is just generating huge waste.

This is a giant flaw in your reasoning. You only look at one side of a bank's balance sheet. You only look at the asset side. You do not look at the liability side. You seem to think that banks have this endless stream of credit. This is not true. A bank's ledger must balance. A bank can only loan out what is has as liabilities. What are the liabilities? The liabilities are the deposits you and I deposit at the bank. It is GICs. It is bonds issued by banks. Banks then use the capital they raise to make loans. If a bank is losing deposits, it must call in loans. If a bank is gaining deposits, it can expand loans. The loans are based on the liabilities of the bank, which is an asset of the depositer, i.e. you. The debt of the banks is based on assets elsewhere. The questions about money being created out of nothing, this miraculous build-up in debt, can only occur if banks increase their leverage, which means lower required capital ratios. Now this is occuring in other areas of the market, such as consumer installment debt. But we do not know if such companies are over or underleveraged.

Scape said:
The average interest rate on the debt is far higher than our countries GDP. We will never do anything but slowly drown... AT BEST!

Again, you fail to understand basic economics. In a closed economy, i.e. the world economy, the cost of capital must equal the return on capital. The return on capital must equal the growth rate of capital. The growth rate of capital equals the growth of the economy, subject to changes in technology and other factors of production. Thus, the interest rate must equal the the growth of the GDP. In a closed economy, this is the only outcome. In an open economy, because we have capital flows, if there is an excess of capital in one economy, and capital can be earned at a higher rate elsewhere, capital will flow out of the economy. If this is what bothers you, then you should think about how to increase economic growth in the country and how to put that excess capital to use.

Scape said:
Eventually we will have a meltdown that is called a recession and we write off some debt, the byproduct of this instability is even more waste. This system is only geared to work when someone, be that a business or government, is prepared to go in to even more debt. It is this was, and only this way, that the economy can expand and grow.

Again this is false. What happens in a recession is a contraction in credit. Balance sheets of corporations become stronger as a recession shakes out the weak hands. Also, the total amount of debt is not what matters. What matters is the ability to service the debt, which is a function of cash flow and equity within a corporation.

Scape said:
The only reason Canada did so well in the post WWII era was BONDS! The money creation system was shared with the government. The BoC provided the fed with large sums of near 0% interest money which gave it fiscal flexibility. In addition, interest rates were low in the 50' and 60's on par with the growth rate of the economy. Thus total debt grew in proportion to the economy but the debt to GDP ratio held steady.

Wait a second. You just told me the problem was too much debt, yet you're saying the reason Canada did so well was debt. What is it?

Again, this is wrong. Dude, I wrote a long paper on Canada's economic performance after WWII in an undergrad economic history class. This 50/50 split you talk about did not exist. It is true, however, that interest rates were low and were deliberately kept low - which, BTW, monetarists agree with - to absorb the excess capacity in labour as the troops came home. Canada and the other western nations made a big mistake after WWI in being too restrictive in monetary policy. The authorities were not going to allow that to happen again. But this is standard economic theory. When you have an excess of labour, interest rates should be low. When there is a run on labour, rates should be high. The authorities were very worried about a big recession in the late 1940s, which did not happen. So they took their foot off the monetary pedal and there was a light recession in the early 1950s. After that, interest rates rose to a more "normal" level. You say that low interest rates in the 1950s and 1960s was due to this 50/50 split. That is flat out wrong. Low interest rates were because of low inflation. Real interest rates were higher in the 1950s and 1960s than they are today. It is real interest rates which matters, not nominal rates, as it is the real economy which matters.

Scape said:
It was the system of public/private money creation that got Canada out of the great depression, financed WWII, paid for the St Lawrence seaway, the trans-Canada highway, our airports and social security. TRY THAT NOW ON A LOAN FROM RBC!

The other lever government used after WWII is fiscal policy. With the exception of social security - which is an income-transferance policy - the other examples absorb excess labour and build what turned out to be good infrastructure policy. But borrowings were done by the Government of Canada through the normal borrowing mechanisms that are no different than today.

Scape said:
If you need a modern day example then explain the Isle of Guernsey. No unemployment, modern infrastructure, low taxes and NO DEBT. All based on the 50/50 principal.

No, no, no, no. This is laughable to use Guernsey as an example. Guernsey is a part of the UK. Guernsey has no control over its currency. Its currency is pegged to the pound.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/gk.html#Econ

Plus Guernsey is a tax haven, which means capital is flowing into the isle, which will keep interest rates down. Does the CAP plan on cutting income taxes to 0%?

Scape said:
Lastly, on the 8% reserve. The reserve requirement is 0%. The Bank act of 1991 allowed the banks to spend the 8% (worth billions) on T-bills and bonds. In lieu of cash reserves, Canadian banks are not allowed to hold assists in excess of 20 times their paid up capital. At least that is what the law says but you of all people should know they have found means of stretching that limit. This new system called, "capitol adequacy", is quite inferior to the needs of a cash reserve. It is a system which the Bank of International settlements (BIS), with the HQ in Basle, Switzerland, used to switch the world banking system to 0% reserves in accord with the teachings of one Milton Friedman and his chums at the University of Chicago.

Friedman ideas support the deregulation of financial institutions and to get government out of the money creating business as much as possible. Accepting 0% cash reserve for deposit-taking institutions gives back to private banks a virtual monopoly on money creation.

In addition to putting the money creation function almost entirely in the hands of private sector, which history has shown time after time to be an unworkable system, "capitol adequacy" has the additional disadvantage of being a "risk-weighted" system. Under the BIS formula, adopted by our parliament, it can be more advantageous for banks to buy government bonds than to make commercial loans. This is because business loans are considered, "risky", and must be backed by 8% of the banks capitol compared to 5% for government bonds which are considered risk free. It is this bias against wealth creation that is the crucial flaw.

Our Dysfunctional Central Bank by William Krehm
Subsection (4) of Section 457 of Chapter 46 of the Statutes of Canada 1991 in its decennial revision of the Bank Act, phased out the requirement for our chartered banks to maintain reserves with the Bank of Canada [as a percentage of the deposits the banks held from the public]. “On the first day of the first month following the month this section comes into force, the primary reserve referred to in subsection (2) shall be reduced to 3%, and thereafter on the first day of the first month of each of the next three succeeding three-month periods, the primary reserve as modified by this subsection shall be reduced by 3%, and on the first day of the twenty-fifth month following the month in which this section comes into force, the primary reserve referred to in subsection (1) shall be nil.”

I am sorry but this is just flat out wrong. You are choosing to read what you want to read and believe what you want to believe. You cannot be taken seriously if you actually believe there is no reserve rquirement. I have posted the links above us. I would suggest you go back and read all the statutes and not just this one you have selectively quoted. I would also suggest you go back and click on the links I posted and read up a little instead of all this CAP silliness you keep linking. I have no doubt the members of the CAP are well-intentioned people, but what they are proposing is flat out bizarre. The CAP will continue to be a fringe party if it can't even get its facts straight.

Scape

Electoral Member
Nov 12, 2004
Toro said:
You raise interesting points. Your conclusion is wrong, but the points yor bring up are questions about whether or not societies should use government-created fiat money as such an arrangement is prone to inflation. That would lead us back to a system based on a hard material such as gold. The answer to your criticism is a return to the gold system, not some new fandangled monetary system you are proposing as it does not alleviate the problem.

How do you explain war bonds? Nothing new there at all.

Toro said:
The effect of what you are proposing is to take the inflationary fiat mechanism which is controlled by the central banks through the banking system and placed in the hands of a government-nationalized banking system, which is the only way your scheme could work.

Your assuming of course that inflation will be created because the system will be inherently unstable and lead to more and more inflation. As opposed to the current system that relies on more and more debt and recessions.

Toro said:
However, as has been shown time and again throughout the world - China, Mexico - government-owned banks are less responsive to the market system and more responsive to the politcal system, which is inherently inflationary because people propogate policies such as this 50/50 nonsense.

Those are not examples of what I am trying to illustrate, those are central government controlled. This is what happens when too much government intervention happens.

Toro said:
Your solution not only does not solve the problem of inflation, it exacerbates inflation by keeping interest rates low.
It keeps interest rates low for projects that would not be acquired by the public sector. Roads, school, bridges and government mega projects like BC hydro are you saying a power plant will be the downfall of the system because it was created on low interest?

Toro said:
There is a truism in economics that I will repeat again, and put it in big, giant letters;

You can control the price of something. You can control the supply of something. But you cannot control both.
And you can fool some of the people all of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can't fool all the people all the time.

Toro said:
If you control the price of money, i.e. you keep it low, then the supply will explode, which is inflationary.
Again, your relying on the assumption the entire market would be subject to such a policy. A rash generaization, are you constructing men of straw?

Toro said:
Again, you fail to understand basic economics. In a closed economy, i.e. the world economy, the cost of capital must equal the return on capital.
And this explains recessions how?

Toro said:
The return on capital must equal the growth rate of capital. The growth rate of capital equals the growth of the economy, subject to changes in technology and other factors of production. Thus, the interest rate must equal the the growth of the GDP. In a closed economy, this is the only outcome. In an open economy, because we have capital flows, if there is an excess of capital in one economy, and capital can be earned at a higher rate elsewhere, capital will flow out of the economy. If this is what bothers you, then you should think about how to increase economic growth in the country and how to put that excess capital to use.

Like keeping taxes low for example?

Toro said:
Again this is false. What happens in a recession is a contraction in credit.
Caused because there is no more debt to squeeze out deply the golden parachutes and screw the working stiff dumb enough to pay into a pension!

Toro said:
Wait a second. You just told me the problem was too much debt, yet you're saying the reason Canada did so well was debt. What is it?

Read back. I said 50/50 of the creation of money. I am pressed for time, more to follow when time permits.

Toro

Senate Member
Scape said:
How do you explain war bonds? Nothing new there at all.

You are getting confused again. You have been arguing about monetary policy. When government goes into debt, or borrows for things like war bonds, that is fiscal polocy. This is another argument. But if you want to sterilize your debt by having the government mop excess liquidity in the system, the only way to do that is to sell bonds into the private economy, which raises interest rates (unless you increase the capital requirements at banks, which has the same effect). If you do not understand this, you do not understand monetary policy. There is no other alternative. When governments borrow and competes for capital - which is what government borrowing does - in an economy with little slack, this is called "crowding-out" and drives up interest rates, not down.

Scape said:
Your assuming of course that inflation will be created because the system will be inherently unstable and lead to more and more inflation. As opposed to the current system that relies on more and more debt and recessions.

Inflation is the only alternative unless the government institutes the type of sterilization I just described.

The current system does not "rely" on recessions. Recessions and expansions are a function of human nature, of which our understanding of monetary and fiscal policy has made such troughs less damaging than they have had in the past. By making such a statement, you assume that there would be no recessions in your system. That is false. Finally, the system does not "rely" on more and more debt. You can make an argument about whether or not there is too much debt in the consumer, corporate and/or government world, but the system does not "rely" on it. As I said earlier, what matters is not the size of debt but the ability to service it and the ratio of debt to equity in an economy.

Scape said:
It keeps interest rates low for projects that would not be acquired by the public sector. Roads, school, bridges and government mega projects like BC hydro are you saying a power plant will be the downfall of the system because it was created on low interest?

Toro said:
There is a truism in economics that I will repeat again, and put it in big, giant letters;

Scape said:
And you can fool some of the people all of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can't fool all the people all the time.

Yes, and you are doing your best to do so. I know that it is not out of malice and rather you do so out of genuiune concern, but what you are arguing is incorrect, contradictory and would be disastorous for the real economy. That doesn't mean there is no room to criticize monetary policy, because there is. But you first must understand it. My sugggestion to you is that if you truly want to move the CAP forward, you move away from your sources and go read what mainstream economists have to write about the subject because otherwise, you won't be taken seriously.

Scape said:
Again, your relying on the assumption the entire market would be subject to such a policy. A rash generaization, are you constructing men of straw?

The entire economy would be effected by it. If your intent is to nationalize half the financial system - which is the only way to get to this 50/50 split you talk about - there would be tremendous ramifications throughout the economy.

Toro said:
Again, you fail to understand basic economics. In a closed economy, i.e. the world economy, the cost of capital must equal the return on capital.
Scape said:
And this explains recessions how?

Recessions are explained a number of ways. Recessions are a function of human nature, where people overestimate and underestimate demand and supply. It is the role of monetary and fiscal policy to smooth out the peaks and valleys of the business cycle. And yes, one way to do that is to increase government spending on infrastructure when necessary. Its important to understand that what you are proposing would do nothing to alleviate recessions, and would in fact - unless you were sterilzing the excess liquidity in the system described earlier - would create inflation and exacerbate recessions.

Toro said:
The return on capital must equal the growth rate of capital. The growth rate of capital equals the growth of the economy, subject to changes in technology and other factors of production. Thus, the interest rate must equal the the growth of the GDP. In a closed economy, this is the only outcome. In an open economy, because we have capital flows, if there is an excess of capital in one economy, and capital can be earned at a higher rate elsewhere, capital will flow out of the economy. If this is what bothers you, then you should think about how to increase economic growth in the country and how to put that excess capital to use.

Scape said:
Like keeping taxes low for example?

You used Guernsey as an example. That's what Guernsey does.

Toro said:
Again this is false. What happens in a recession is a contraction in credit.
Scape said:
Caused because there is no more debt to squeeze out deply the golden parachutes and screw the working stiff

Listen, I wouldn't argue that the gap between what CEOs get paid versus what the working guy gets paid is out of whack. But that has nothing to do with contractions and expansion of debt in the economy.

Scape

Electoral Member
Nov 12, 2004
Banks scrutinised in credit default swaps market

I wish everything was as black and white as your trying to argue. It would make the arguments far easier to illustrate. Sadly when you have banks involved illegally in the open market to the sum of billions you can't put the blinders on and expect to be taken seriously. And remind me not to post when I have 15 minutes to go to work. I already see two errors in my last post. Sadly for your argument they are only syntax errors, some and all got mixed.

if you want to sterilize your debt by having the government mop excess liquidity in the system, the only way to do that is to sell bonds into the private economy

Your alluding to an erroneous conclusion. Like look at a glass half full. How many hydro plants do you think will be sold on the private market or for that matter hospitals and schools? Unless you wish to fully privatize them they will not be up for sale on the free and open market. We need our roads repaired, we need our sanitation departments to take out the trash, this is not up for negotiations. Critical public services can not be created without venture capitol. A debt based monetary system asphyxiates any such initiatives to the point we have Emperor Nero running the fire department again, not good.

Have you really taken a close examination in to the isle of Guernsey? It is a perfect example of how to restore balance.
Countries all over the world should look into the experience of Jersey and Guernsey and take heart: There IS a way out of economic misery. But it does imply re-thinking the basics of monetary policy.

Surly you have to admit that the current system is doomed to fail. Look at the US, the lynch pin to the whole world market it is, by far, the world largest debtor:

$7,782,816,546,352 in Debt

America's Total Debt Report $ 40 Trillion - - and soaring

$266,488,813,179.12 Trade Deficit

The US like the UK before it is overstretched. Why the dollar is falling.

Toro

Senate Member
Scape said:
Banks scrutinised in credit default swaps market

I wish everything was as black and white as your trying to argue. It would make the arguments far easier to illustrate. Sadly when you have banks involved illegally in the open market to the sum of billions you can't put the blinders on and expect to be taken seriously. And remind me not to post when I have 15 minutes to go to work. I already see two errors in my last post. Sadly for your argument they are only syntax errors, some and all got mixed.

if you want to sterilize your debt by having the government mop excess liquidity in the system, the only way to do that is to sell bonds into the private economy

Your alluding to an erroneous conclusion. Like look at a glass half full. How many hydro plants do you think will be sold on the private market or for that matter hospitals and schools? Unless you wish to fully privatize them they will not be up for sale on the free and open market. We need our roads repaired, we need our sanitation departments to take out the trash, this is not up for negotiations. Critical public services can not be created without venture capitol. A debt based monetary system asphyxiates any such initiatives to the point we have Emperor Nero running the fire department again, not good.

Have you really taken a close examination in to the isle of Guernsey? It is a perfect example of how to restore balance.
Countries all over the world should look into the experience of Jersey and Guernsey and take heart: There IS a way out of economic misery. But it does imply re-thinking the basics of monetary policy.

Surly you have to admit that the current system is doomed to fail. Look at the US, the lynch pin to the whole world market it is, by far, the world largest debtor:

$7,782,816,546,352 in Debt

America's Total Debt Report $ 40 Trillion - - and soaring

$266,488,813,179.12 Trade Deficit

The US like the UK before it is overstretched. Why the dollar is falling.

Whoa, hold on a second. I didn't say the financial system was perfect. In fact, there is a lot in which to be critical. But the fundamental mistake you are making is saying that it is a debt-created money. Debt must be balanced out with assets. You could just as easily call it an "asset-based" system. Debt and assets are created through the current system.

But you raise some interesting points. Credit default swaps are something that could blow up, and could do serious damage to the financial system when we eventually do have a five-sigma event. But on the other hand, in the derivatives market, credit default swaps account for 2.5% of the notional value of derivatives written, though its growing fast. The most popular form of derivatives are interest-rate swaps, which are pretty generic contracts. They account for 85% of the notional value of all derivatives. There are weak links in the financial system for sure. I work in the financial markets and it worries me.

You talk about infrastucture. It appears to me that you are mixing up monetary and fiscal responsibilities. It is a much different arguement about whether or not schools or roads or hydro should be in private hands. That's different from who creates the money. Government already issues bonds to finance infrastructure. Always have, always will.

The US is the largest debtor, but in the OECD, it ranks 13th out of 27 nations in debt/GDP. People make the mistake of looking at the size of the deficit and debt and saying and concluding something is wrong. What matters is the ability to service the debt and the equity underneath it. Its like one person having a $100,000 house and taking out a $50,000 loan and another having a $1,000,000 house and taking out a $200,000 loan. The second guy is relatively better off. In fact, though Canada has done a much better job fiscally than the US over the last decade, the debt/GDP is about the same. Canada's has been falling and the US's has been rising. The OECD has such a table at this site http://www.oecd.org/statsportal/0,2639,en_2825_293564_1_1_1_1_1,00.html
that I've seen a number of times but it doesn't appear to be up at the moment.

Don't get me wrong. I prefer to see less debt rather than more, and I'm concerned about the level of debt, especially consumer debt, in the economy. You are also alluding to the fact that higher debt means higher growth. This is true, but it shouldn't be overstated. Debt is is a part of the capital structure. The economy has an organic or potential rate of growth. The use of debt can artificially increase or decrease that rate of growth. Too much debt with incompetent fiscal and monetary policy can be lethal, as it was in the 1930s. It is up to the monetary and fiscal authorities to be able to recognize when such a potent mix is brewing and bring it under control. On that, you have a great deal of ammo for criticism.

Scape

Electoral Member
Nov 12, 2004
When 23 year old girls from Hooters think real estate is a good investment choice it is time to get out.

$2 Billion a day and rising the US is in the red. In order to keep the books in order Mr Greenspan has relied on the real estate market and Freddie May and Fannie Mac. Although public by definition these lending houses do not play by public accounting rules. The reason was to have an option for 1st time home owners to get in to the market. It is in this way that Greenspan has been hiding trillions of dollars of real debt from the economy like sweeping under a rug. This was done to create an economic boom to maintain the credit needed so that the US can borrow even more. Take for example the horse/house trading being done under the ARM's loans. This is a game of musical chairs that will come crashing down as interest rates inevitably rise. Causing a stall and the stagflation in the US economy.

Assets are only created in this economy by going in to even more debt, the system is fatally flawed.

Toro

Senate Member
Scape said:
When 23 year old girls from Hooters think real estate is a good investment choice it is time to get out.

$2 Billion a day and rising the US is in the red. In order to keep the books in order Mr Greenspan has relied on the real estate market and Freddie May and Fannie Mac. Although public by definition these lending houses do not play by public accounting rules. The reason was to have an option for 1st time home owners to get in to the market. It is in this way that Greenspan has been hiding trillions of dollars of real debt from the economy like sweeping under a rug. This was done to create an economic boom to maintain the credit needed so that the US can borrow even more. Take for example the horse/house trading being done under the ARM's loans. This is a game of musical chairs that will come crashing down as interest rates inevitably rise. Causing a stall and the stagflation in the US economy.

Assets are only created in this economy by going in to even more debt, the system is fatally flawed.

Oh man, you're hitting on something which I couldn't agree with you more. If you want to read more about the bubble in the credit market, I'd suggest Jim Grant at Grant's Interest Rate Observer, Bill Gross at Pimco, Doug Noland at PrudentBear, Jim Rogers and Bill Fleckenstein.

Now isn't this funny. I completely agree with you. You have hit the problem absolutely dead on, and let me commend you for it. I'm a professional investor and I wouldn't touch real estate with a 10-foot pole. There is too much credit in the world, and Alan Greenspan is not the maestro he is made out to be. This is what I mean that there is a great deal of scope to criticize monetary policy. I believe that the Fed has perpetuated a giant credit bubble by continuously creating credit as a way to alleviate our problems.

What I have been arguing with you is not what you have identified as the problem, but your solution. I believe you do not understand monetary policy and how money is created. All those guys I mentioned above would both agree with what I have written and agree with the problem you have identified as I do, especially Jim Grant who knows 1000x more about this stuff than me. My suggestion to you is to go take a class on monetary policy, or at least read a conventional textbook on the subject. If the CAP started talking about this stuff sensibly, man I'd have a ton of respect for you guys.

Also, what I have been arguing, and simply buying into the idea of a hard currency, does not mean a government cannot spend on infrastructure. The two are not mutually exclusive. You can both say that you can have a hard currency and government will spend if its implemented properly (even if I disagree that you should spend on infrastructure).

Scape

Electoral Member
Nov 12, 2004
If the CAP started talking about this stuff sensibly, man I'd have a ton of respect for you guys.

That is a choice you can make for yourself. As for myself I am a supporter of the Austrian school of economics. This is my idea of a solution. The only party that is best in line with that discipline is the CAP platform. I am using their platform as means to an end. It is not that I have left the mainstream political parties, it is that they have left me, or rather divorced themselves from the principals that I believe in. If they were to take that seriously I would have a ton of respect for them, as it stands I am not going to hold my breath. I will not dissuade you from following your own path but keeping status quo because there is no party that can be taken seriously is an act worth of a lemming. Sadly I believe we are doomed to the cliff as the lemmings outnumber the rest of us (for now) and their doom will bring about ours as well.

Toro

Senate Member
Scape said:
If the CAP started talking about this stuff sensibly, man I'd have a ton of respect for you guys.

That is a choice you can make for yourself. As for myself I am a supporter of the Austrian school of economics. This is my idea of a solution. The only party that is best in line with that discipline is the CAP platform. I am using their platform as means to an end. It is not that I have left the mainstream political parties, it is that they have left me, or rather divorced themselves from the principals that I believe in. If they were to take that seriously I would have a ton of respect for them, as it stands I am not going to hold my breath. I will not dissuade you from following your own path but keeping status quo because there is no party that can be taken seriously is an act worth of a lemming. Sadly I believe we are doomed to the cliff as the lemmings outnumber the rest of us (for now) and their doom will bring about ours as well.

I am shocked. My formative years in learning about economics were from the Austrian school. I own books by von Mises and Hayek.