cougar attack

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I didn't think you would enjoy the site....I just put it there so you could see that weapons are effective.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Well I've ate Cougar coutesy of a gun a cougar attacked my buddy while he was hunting and he dusted it with a rifle Pea .So contrary to popular opinion guns do work against cougars :p Cougar was good to by the way ate my whole steak just a little bit stringy :wink:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Things with paws tend to be fatty...I don't know about cougar....

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
It was pretty good I've eaten a lot of different game some good some awful like deer YUCK thats an aquired taste :pukeleft:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
just put it there so you could see that weapons are effective.

You cannot be serious :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That would depend on who is doing the hunting. Have you travelled the wildnerness in British columbia...I assure you can carry whatever gun you like, have it loaded and cocked during your whole adventure...you can even pivot around in all directions pointing the gun...You won't see that cougar until its to late... :? :? :?

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
peapod said:
just put it there so you could see that weapons are effective.

You cannot be serious :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That would depend on who is doing the hunting. Have you travelled the wildnerness in British columbia...I assure you can carry whatever gun you like, have it loaded and cocked during your whole adventure...you can even pivot around in all directions pointing the gun...You won't see that cougar until its to late... :? :? :?

Weapons would be effective against a cougar ONLY if you weren't the one being hunted.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
hehehehehehe so true Jo..now I cannots stand those hunters. Blah! they actually believe they have them there balls...they gots to be kidding :? :? :? Now I say this here fellow...he gots the balls 8) 8)

Cougars have been stalking humans in unprecedented numbers in British Columbia. Why do they prey on us and how can we live safely in their territory?

by Terry Glavin

It was a perfectly ordinary August afternoon in 2002 in Port Alice, B.C., when David Parker decided to go for a walk. The 61-year-old retired mill-maintenance foreman had been working on the roof of his small house on Marine Drive and had felt a bit of a cramp in one of his legs. He reckoned a walk would do him good, so he headed out on a route he was accustomed to taking on his evening strolls.

He strode down a gravel road that connects Port Alice, a pulp-mill village on Vancouver Island’s northwest coast, with the Jeune Landing log-sorting yard on Neroutsos Inlet. About a kilometre and a half from Jeune Landing, it started to rain. Parker had just ducked under a rock ledge at the side of the road to wait out the downpour when he thought he heard a noise behind him and turned to see what it was.

At that very moment, Parker found himself staring into the eyes of a healthy young male Puma concolor, an animal that goes by many names: cougar, mountain lion, puma, panther, catamount, night crier, ghost walker, swamp devil. This one was an arm’s length from his face.

He turned to run. The cougar pounced, and Parker was knocked face down in a ditch. The predator clung to his back, sinking its teeth into his skull. Within seconds, most of Parker’s scalp was torn away. His jaw was broken, his left cheekbone was cracked, and the orbital bones of his left temple were crushed. His right ear was hanging by a thread of skin.

“I remember thinking I’d never see my wife again,” says Parker. “I remember thinking, well, this is where it all ends.”

But then and there, he decided he wasn’t going to die on a rainy afternoon in a shallow ditch beside a dirt road on the outskirts of Port Alice. While the cougar was tearing at him with its claws and pulling away bits of his scalp, Parker reached for a small pocket knife in a sheath attached to his belt. “You fight back,” he says, “because that’s all there is left to do.”

Man get a load of this guy...I gots nothing but admiration for him..

http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/Magazine/mj04/feature.asp

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
When I was little my dad use to hunt. And of course whatever was killed was served.

Being little and extremely picky about what I ate (I hated french fries as a kid!) my mom avoided the confrontations and simply told us that it was either chicken or beef (depending on the colour of the meat)

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
hunting for food is not the same as hunting for sport twinks, at least not in my book. I gots no problem with people hunting for food.
Anyhos I have followed these cougar stories, living on the island. I have noticed that there are alot of attacks around Port Alice. I have thought about moving to Port Alice, the only thing that really bothers me is the cougars. :? :? :?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
hunting for food is not the same as hunting for sport twinks, at least not in my book.

Nor in my books, Pea. I have no problem with sustenance hunting. There is NO way "sport" hunting is ok in my books, unless we can hunt the hunters.......

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Although I tend to agree, there is still such a thing as wildlife management.

I only hunt birds and such, and eat them.

I think that 61 year old guy who got attached by the cougar, could have used a hand gun...effectively.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Well what do you think my buddy was doing :lol: The cougar jumped out of the bush at him while he was hunting moose .To bad the cougar got in the way of a bullet out of a rifle :roll: Guns work very well :p The Conservation Officer came and declared it ok but he was not allowed to keep the hide only the meat :wink:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Well heres what gets me..you gotta love humans eh? they get all upset when they see body bags with humans in them...and whats more disquisting than humans who use dead people as some kind of trophy...I see no difference between that and those assholes with that magnifcent cat, proping him/her up next to gun and grinning. They could not even track that cougar without dogs. A totally unfair fight.

I understand that a cougar that attacks humans has to be put down. But its soooooooooooo sickening when some fat bastard with a gun enjoys it so much. Blah!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Well heres what gets me..you gotta love humans eh?
Funny but this bit about having to love humans was not in my interplanatary guide........

I understand that a cougar that attacks humans has to be put down]
This what they want us to believe, for sure. I have yet to understand the reasoning of why. They have no idea if it's the same cat. The cat killed in Metchosin is a best guess at it being the 'right' cat. The circumstances of that entire "incident" are highly unusual and suspicious.

I'd like to see animals not killed when humans (another animal) encroaches on the 4 leggeds turf and get hurt. We are not doing the human race any favours by bubble wrapping the idiots......why we'd polute the gene pool with saving these people is beyond me. /rant

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
peapod said:
Well heres what gets me..you gotta love humans eh? they get all upset when they see body bags with humans in them...and whats more disquisting than humans who use dead people as some kind of trophy...I see no difference between that and those assholes with that magnifcent cat, proping him/her up next to gun and grinning. They could not even track that cougar without dogs. A totally unfair fight.

I understand that a cougar that attacks humans has to be put down. But its soooooooooooo sickening when some fat bastard with a gun enjoys it so much. Blah!

I guess I shouldn't have posted that site.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Not at all Jay...I needs to have my blood boil at least once a day...lets me know I am still alive :? :? :? Its not like we do not see these types of pictures all the time, its nuttin you did...

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
New Jersey

A camper was bitten on the leg by a black bear while sleeping. This camper had no tent. It was all filmed by his friend. The bear made no threatening body postures and when the camper woke up the bear backed off.

The camper suffered bite wounds. The bear suffered the loss of his life. THe camera guy could have prevented it all by scaring the bear away. But I'm assuming thought it'd make a better film if he left the bear and the camper to their own devices.

And humans are suppose to be the smartest of animals?