Corned Beef Hash

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I posted one or two in Juan's Kitchen thread. Maybe the Quick meal thread?. Anyway, my quickest is to take a can of corned beef, mix in spuds and a chopped onion and brown it in the pan. :D

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California

My local British Pub makes me Red Flannel Hash for breakfast and it's not even on the Pub menu. Talk about the special treatment, highly recommend it!

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
My father experimented with $hit on a shingle after he and mom parted ways. I never got past his first attempt, but I think I could give it a go now.

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California
My father experimented with $hit on a shingle after he and mom parted ways. I never got past his first attempt, but I think I could give it a go now.

Your thinking of the Haggis that the Scottish Pub on Rideau in Ottawa serves... No wonder it comes with a shot of alcohol, like you are eating the left over grime scraped up from the leftovers in the kitchen. :lol:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
My usual hash recipe is take left-over, grated corned brisket, grated spuds, carrots, and onions, cajun seasoning, mix it all up, and put it in a pan. Take beef broth/consomme/whatever and pour it over, then stick it in oven at 350 till hot and eat it.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
If you'd ever had REAL haggis, you wouldn't be knocking it...
eeeewwwww

1 sheep's stomach bag
1 sheep's pluck - liver, lungs and heart
3 onions
250g beef Suet
150g oatmeal
salt and black pepper
a pinch of cayenne
150mls of stock/gravy

1. Clean the stomach bag thoroughly and soak overnight. In the morning turn it inside out.

2. Wash the pluck and boil for 1.5 hours, ensuring the windpipe hangs over the pot allowing drainage of the impurities.

3. Mince the heart and lungs and grate half the liver.

4. Chop up the onions and suet.

5. Warm the oatmeal in the oven.

6. Mix all the above together and season with the salt and pepper. Then add the cayenne.

7. Pour over enough of the pluck boiled water to make the mixture watery.

8. Fill the bag with the mixture until it's half full.

9. Press out the air and sew the bag up.

10. Boil for 3 hours (you may need to prick the bag with a wee needle if it looks like blowing up!) without the lid on.

11. Serve with neeps and tatties.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I had it in Scotland... its good stuff. It sounds a little grim when you read about it but you have to experience it to believe...

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

Let's just compare it to Canada's Liver and Spinach delicacy, eh? yuck.
As long as you don't try comapring my hash with haggis I don't care. The ingredients aren't even close. And if you like corned beef, if you like onions, and if you like spuds, it is a pretty safe bet that you'd like hash.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Let's talk about something GOOD in Canada... The Middle Eastern Shawarma! Now, that's a tasty treat found all over Canada these days..

:canada:
The thread's about corned beef hash. You want to talk about haggis and shawhatsit, make a new thread.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Or these can get your mouth and taste buds eager, (hungry) and full of anticipation..
I know a little of topic,