Comic Books And Movies

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Have you noticed the natural affinity of comic books with movies ?

Have you noticed that the top 4 involved comic book guys ?

When you sell a movie as George Lucas did he had artists paint "story boards" to
show various scenes. In fact you need those "story boards" to construct the visuals
and story line anyway.

Wanted.
Starring Angelina Jolie
Revolves around some loser kid who actually has the power to shoot a bullet
and bend it around obstructions to hit his target.

At one point he takes a keyboard in disgust with his loser life and hits a co-worker with it and the keys go flying out and amazingly spell "F U ". Quite a visual only a comic designer can do.

And at the end, he aims but pauses and looks at you, "So what have you been doing lately with your life ?"

Hancock
Starring Will Smith as a drunk super hero.

Incredible Hulk

Batman: The Dark Knight
Iconic all the way, ending with dogs hounding, running down relentlessly this dark hero who says if you live long enough you find out you are not a hero but the villain.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I like some of the comic book movies. The Batman ones are ok, especially the last two. I liked the first Hulk movie, too. Haven't seen the latest one. I liked the X-men movies for the most part. I also like the movies made from old time radio shows, like Rocketman and The Shadow.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I like some of the comic book movies. The Batman ones are ok, especially the last two. I liked the first Hulk movie, too. Haven't seen the latest one. I liked the X-men movies for the most part. I also like the movies made from old time radio shows, like Rocketman and The Shadow.

How about Beast Wars or He-Man or She -Ra?

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Does anybody remember the comic books called CLASSICS ?
Before Cliff Notes ever came around there were the Classic Comics.

I still have the annual (extra thick) issue of the stories of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, (like the one later made into a movie by Charles Bronson who crossed into Alaska to elude the mounties) and an annual issue on THE INDIANS OF NORTH AMERICA, plus the Count of Monte Cristo, Pudd'n Head Wilson, Tale of Two Cities, etc etc etc from the early 60s. I learned a heluva lot fast from those comic books.

Great comic books.

Years later I tried them on my daughter and the pages looked too busy for her.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
There are many more of them hitting the big screen..Hellboy, 30 Days Of Night,The 300,Road To Perdition. Just wait till Watchmen comes out! First did a nice series of Classics Illustrated back in the late '80s, using the best writers and artists of our times[Gahan Wilson on the Devil's Dictionary, for ex.]

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I remember the "Classics" comics. I liked reading those, too. :) But there have been many movies made about the stories that spawned some of those. "The Last of the Mohicans", "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea", "Moby Dick", "The Three Musketeers", "The Hunchback of Notre Dame", etc. Classic Comics were adaptations of classic pieces of literature, for the info purposes of those of you who are unfamiliar with them.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Sadly, no. First bit the dirt about the turn of the millenium. If you have some of the originals in good condition, they should be worth "a lot" at a comic dealers.First only did 20 or so of their classics at 5 bucks a pop[currently resting in one of my cartons in my closet]

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
I got about 50 issues in various conditions. They bring back all sorts of memories of wonder in those childhood years.

The new illustration books showing up these days are an example of how powerful illustrated stories are.

I have Dante Aligheri's Divine Comedy illustrated by Albrecht Durer woodcut illustrations (copies of course) and Milton's Paradise Lost illustrated by Blake which is really wild.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
My roommate just dug out a box of comics from the closet this afternoon, and asked me check to check their worth online for something to do. Good thing we did! The average price is about $120 totally almost $3000!

Jackpot! :cool:

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Alley, your skullduggery needs to end. I've been duped too many times. :p

I was digging a little deeper and it turns out they need to be professional graded in order to be deemed valuable. So I'm looking into that, luckily most of these bad boys are unread and still in plastic! Hopefully I can just help my roommate out by selling the lot to someone for a few bucks, let them pay for the grading.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Does anybody remember the comic books called CLASSICS ?
Before Cliff Notes ever came around there were the Classic Comics.

I still have the annual (extra thick) issue of the stories of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, (like the one later made into a movie by Charles Bronson who crossed into Alaska to elude the mounties) and an annual issue on THE INDIANS OF NORTH AMERICA, plus the Count of Monte Cristo, Pudd'n Head Wilson, Tale of Two Cities, etc etc etc from the early 60s. I learned a heluva lot fast from those comic books.

Great comic books.

Years later I tried them on my daughter and the pages looked too busy for her.

I definitely remember the Classics comic books. I had a classmate who read them and did his book reports on them, pretending he had read the real thing.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Wanted.
Starring Angelina Jolie
Revolves around some loser kid who actually has the power to shoot a bullet
and bend it around obstructions to hit his target.

At one point he takes a keyboard in disgust with his loser life and hits a co-worker with it and the keys go flying out and amazingly spell "F U ". Quite a visual only a comic designer can do.

And at the end, he aims but pauses and looks at you, "So what have you been doing lately with your life ?"

Wanted would have been a better movie had it been called something else and didn't use the "based on the comic" tag-line. The movie is drastically different than the mini-series(for example, the comic did not have the "mystic loom" or whatever the hell it was called). Wanted as a generic action movie would have been better than the adaptation that didn't adapt very much at all.

The main character is also a lot darker in the comic, doing things that were quite disturbing(I can see why they weren't in the movie, but why bother making the movie at all when so much was cut out).

I highly recommend people check out the Wanted mini-series, but do NOT let your kids read it. It has graphic violence, a heck of a lot of swearing, and despicable actions by numerous characters.