Coalition Soldier Killed in Afghanistan

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
A U.S.-led coalition soldier and 10 suspected Taliban militants died in the latest clashes to roil southern and eastern Afghanistan, while security was tightened in Kabul after a series of bombings, officials said Thursday.

The attacks have raised fears that Taliban militants are bringing their fight to the capital, nearly five years after their ouster in a U.S.-backed military campaign.

In eastern Afghanistan, militants opened fire on a coalition patrol in Paktika's Gayan district, killing one soldier. A 10-year old girl was also wounded in Wednesday's firefight, and was in stable condition after surgery, a coalition statement said.

The statement did not identify the dead soldier or give a nationality.

President Hamid Karzai vowed that bombings targeting government officials and army officers in Kabul on Tuesday and Wednesday, killing one person and wounding about 60, wouldn't shake Afghans' hopes for peace.

"The enemies of Afghanistan once again showed by attacking innocent civilians that they want to bring misery and destruction to Afghanistan, but the people of Afghanistan will never allow this to happen," Karzai said from Tokyo, where he's attending a conference. "Afghanistan will continue to rebuild its security institutions and these incidents will never hurt the desire of the Afghan people for a better future."

Extra police manned checkpoints in the city Thursday, amid a growing sense of unease. Kabul has been largely spared the violence that has wracked eastern and southern parts of the country this year, leaving hundreds dead, but the bombings have reawakened some fears.

"The big problem for the people here is there is no security," said Tamim Ansar, an 18-year-old student, who lives near downtown Kabul where a remote-controlled bomb exploded Tuesday. "Everyone is very worried."

The attacks have highlighted the need for the public and security forces to be more vigilant in rooting out potential insurgents, said Maj. Luke Knittig, spokesman for the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force, which helps patrol Kabul.

"It is not an easy threat to counter or eliminate. Patrols and the presence of security forces help. Afghans telling us when they see some thing on the street that doesn't look right helps," he said.

Meanwhile in the south, Afghan and coalition forces continued operations against Taliban fighters trying to reassert their control over their former Pashtun tribal heartland, with a wave of deadly ambushes and suicide attacks.

Ten suspected militants and an Afghan soldier were killed Wednesday in volatile Zabul province.

Security forces launched operations near Mount Zubaida, killing three suspected Taliban fighters and arresting four others, said provincial police chief Noor Mohammad Paktin.

Four other militants were killed and six arrested during search operations in Shingai district, he said. One Afghan soldier was killed and three wounded when they came under militant attack in Naubahar district, where three insurgents also were killed, he said.

More than 10,000 coalition and government forces have been deployed to hunt for Taliban fighters in the south. At least 700 people have been killed in violence since May, mostly militants.

Check it out at Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/infoimaging/feeds/ap/2006/07/06/ap2862246.html

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
Re: RE: Coalition Soldier Killed in Afghanistan

notme01 said:
BRING OUR TROOPS BACK IT NOT OUR WAR IT AN us LED VENDETTA

Yes, that what I thought until this morning. Do you happen to recall what happened on 9/11. Here I'll tell you.

On 9/11, 24 Canadians were killed, which is absolutely awful. Many other people from other countries were also killed. It is the responsibility of those countries who lost lives in 9/11, to go to Afghanistan, destroy the Taliban who inhabit Afghnaistan, and bring peace to that country. You can't tell me that if one of your family members was killed in 9/11, you wouldn't want revenge. It is Canada responsibility to be in Afghanistan.

notme01

Nominee Member
Jul 6, 2006
did it happen to us ? also so far we have not seen no proof of who did it ?

maybe it was some US citizen just like any other disaster that happen there

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

notme01 said:
did it happen to us ? also so far we have not seen no proof of who did it ?

maybe it was some US citizen just like any other disaster that happen there

9/11 wasn't an inside job. Islamic terrorists hi-jacked those planes and flew them into the towers. And it is believed that Taliban leader Osama bin Laden was responsible for ordering the attacks because he released a video stating he was responsible. That's proof right there.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
RE: Coalition Soldier Kil

I would just like to point out Jon, that I personally don't think we're in Afghanistan for revenge. We're there to prevent acts of terror ever befalling Canadian citizens again. There is a difference.

notme01

Nominee Member
Jul 6, 2006
it not proof it could be a prefab tape made by the US for a cover up imagine if the truth would come out that it was one of their own that did it >>>>>

just like the other bomming they had

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

notme01 said:
it not proof it could be a prefab tape made by the US for a cover up imagine if the truth would come out that it was one of their own that did it >>>>>

I don't talk to conspiracy theorists.

notme01

Nominee Member
Jul 6, 2006
don't talk to conspiracy theorists.

why not you are afraid it might be true and the truth would hurt and also prove you wrong

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton

notme01 said:

Sell crazy some place else, we're all stockekd up here.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

notme01 said:
don't talk to conspiracy theorists.

why not you are afraid it might be true and the truth would hurt and also prove you wrong

The conspiracy theories aren't true. bin Laden is responsible for 9/11. The U.S. wouldn't kill 3000 people just so that it could invade Afghanistan. But who am I? Think whatever you want to think.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

Mogz said:
notme01 said:

Sell crazy some place else, we're all stockekd up here.

:lol:

notme01

Nominee Member
Jul 6, 2006
ah never said it was the US itself it could be one of their mentally retarded citizens just like the other bomming they had but the US could be covering it up because it would cause a stink ..........

if it was on ben laden or one of his allies i think they would still be doing things since most are still around

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

notme01 said:
ah never said it was the US itself it could be one of their mentally retarded citizens just like the other bomming they had but the US could be covering it up because it would cause a stink ..........

if it was on ben laden or one of his allies i think they would still be doing things since most are still around

It wasn't a U.S. citizen. And by the way, bin Laden is planning another terrorist attack. I know it has been a while, but apparently he says its going to be more devastating that 9/11. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day. If its going to be devastating, its going to take him a while. The best thing would be if it doesn't ever happen again, but I have a feeling that is inevitable.

notme01

Nominee Member
Jul 6, 2006
no but jules ceasar was toppled just like the Bush wil be and his citizens

also who said that ben is preparing for something big Bush and his flunkies

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

notme01 said:
no but jules ceasar was toppled just like the Bush wil be and his citizens

also who said that ben is preparing for something big Bush and his flunkies

The war in Afghanistan is the right thing to do. You can think whatever you want, but I'm right.

And do you even watch the news? Have you heard about all the latest bin Laden tapes and what's on those tapes. Go Google it and then come back and argue with me.

notme01

Nominee Member
Jul 6, 2006
ido not believe that Ben Laden would be crazy to make those tapes ....it just like the time they were suppose to have found some comps of Ben Laden with stuff in it ...do you think that the man survived this long by being stupid like that and leave evidence behind? this stuff just makes me believe more and more it a set up

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

notme01 said:
ido not believe that Ben Laden would be crazy to make those tapes ....it just like the time they were suppose to have found some comps of Ben Laden with stuff in it ...do you think that the man survived this long by being stupid like that and leave evidence behind? this stuff just makes me believe more and more it a set up

bin Laden is crazy enough to make those tapes. His plan is to destroy everyone in the world. He is trying to scare everyone. 9/11 wasn't a consrpiracy. But you can continue thinking whatever you want.