Chief electoral officer might share voter list in security,

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
OTTAWA (CP) - The chief electoral officer says he might be willing to break the law by sharing the confidential federal voters list if he thought it would help public safety or security.

Jean-Pierre Kingsley says the law should be changed to allow him to share the National Register of Electors under certain conditions. That includes legitimate inquiries from Canada's spy agency, he said.

Kingsley says the Canadian Security Intelligence Service could use the detailed voter database as it tries to protect citizens.

He would consider breaking the law to release the voter list if it would save lives, he says.

In a report to Parliament, Kingsley also says he should have new powers to review financial reports from political parties. He also recommends that voters be allowed to register through income tax returns.

Hmmmm Break the law no not the goverment .The police state gets stronger :x

Vitamin C

Nominee Member
Sep 14, 2005
Ontario
Re: Chief electoral officer might share voter list in securi

I just read a similar article on the Globe and Mail site. I find it really hard to imagine a situation where sharing voter information could be of any use to any security/emergency agencies.....

I think we will hear the government condemn this idea as ridiculous pretty soon. And also highly illegal.

Remember, it's not the gov't who has come up with this idea, just some crazy guy appointed by them. In fact I wouldn't be suprised if they appoint someone else after having him say he would be willing to break the law and release voter info....

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
RE: Chief electoral officer might share voter list in securi

Should a disaster strike, it would come in handy to know how many people 'adults' at least are located in a particular area. Where I live we fill in an emergency preparedness form so they know how many of us there is and if we have any skills which would be utilized during an emergency, plus animals are noted too.

JomZ

Electoral Member
Aug 18, 2005
Reentering the Fray at CC.net
Re: RE: Chief electoral officer might share voter list in se

bevvyd said:
Should a disaster strike, it would come in handy to know how many people 'adults' at least are located in a particular area.

I hardily doubt that access to the FEDERAL voters list will be necessary in coordinating rescue. If a disaster on the proportion that can involve a majority of the populace, I don't think this list will be a priority item.

Where I live we fill in an emergency preparedness form so they know how many of us there is and if we have any skills which would be utilized during an emergency, plus animals are noted too.

That makes more sense, an actual useful document that can allow disaster rescue coordinators to do their job efficiently without having to go through 10+ million names.

JomZ

Electoral Member
Aug 18, 2005
Reentering the Fray at CC.net
RE: Chief electoral officer might share voter list in securi

Also how will accessing the Federal voters list go about protecting us from the Phantom Menace. Isn't their like hundreds of other government lists that can be accessed by CSIS (Taxes, DMV, Police Records, Library Records, etc.) with the issuance of a court order

Vitamin C

Nominee Member
Sep 14, 2005
Ontario
Re: Chief electoral officer might share voter list in securi

DMV is an american thing. In Canada the provincial governments adminster this stuff. In Ontario it is the Ministry of Transportation.

Other than that, I agree. Having lists of peoples names and where they live would be of absolutely no use to emergency efforts (that I can see).

I mean do we think they're gonna have a checklist and check off every person who gets evacuated, or something?

And you are right, the police and other security agencies can look up whatever info they need about people if they know their name or whatever address....using drivers licenses...

And voters lists wouldn't give info about about what skills people have that would be useful in a disaster.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Chief electoral offic

Another attempt to trample our rights. The voters list is secret for a reason, so that people feel secure that going to vote will not result in repercussions. If this idiot feels he can break the law by releasing it, then he's in the wrong job and should resign. If he won't resign, he should be fired.