Canadian Sovereignty Meetups

Vincent_2002

Electoral Member
Mar 27, 2002
Montréal, Quebec
What is the issue with Canadian sovereignty right now? It seems Québec is no longer an issue on the political stage atleast for the next few years.

Is Alberta or British Columbia making a stir?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Actually NAFTA, the proposed policies of Steven Harper, a lack of presence (military and otherwise) in our north, and concerns about culture seem to top the list.

Sovereignty is about far more than just keeping the country together, it is about keeping it a distinct nation in control of its own policies.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Reverend Blair said:
Actually NAFTA, the proposed policies of Steven Harper, a lack of presence (military and otherwise) in our north, and concerns about culture seem to top the list.

Sovereignty is about far more than just keeping the country together, it is about keeping it a distinct nation in control of its own policies.

Very well said reverend blair! I couldn't agree more with that statement. :)

czardogs

Electoral Member
Jul 25, 2002
BC
www.canadiandemocraticmovement.ca
The people of Quebec worried about their position within Canada more than anybody should worry about Canadian sovereignty on the whole.

As Canada becomes more under the thumb of America - Quebec will be further isolated.

Would Quebec remain a distinct society if Canada is swallowed up?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Maybe in the same way that Cajun culture has survived in the US, Czardogs. Of course the Cajuns are losing their language and their culture is considered more of an oddity, a tourist attraction, than anything else.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Having lived in Québec, I have to say that I believe the culture in that province could survive a lot.

I think the people of Québec would not allow what happened to cajun happen to Quebecois. They have such a strong history and a strong identity as Quebecois. They would definately, IMHO, survive as a distinct North American culture.

grimy

Apr 11, 2004
I suspect their quebecois would survive too. Unfortunately it is only understood by themselves and while the language may survive, the restrictive laws against english usuage would continue to isolate them. They really should get with the program imo.

Thanks for the welcome Andem.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
grimy said:
I suspect their quebecois would survive too. Unfortunately it is only understood by themselves and while the language may survive, the restrictive laws against english usuage would continue to isolate them. They really should get with the program imo.

Thanks for the welcome Andem.

No problem, always welcome :D

As I was saying.. Quebecois are a very enduring and strongly reinforced culture. Each of them will fight until death to preserve their lifestyle and culture.

On another note, I can see a further integration of Canada into the United States (as has been happening for decades). But I can't see Canadians allowing total control of their country.

One example I would refer to is Hawaii's seperation spirit. Most Hawaiians do not consider themselves American and fly their own flag when possible; instead of the American flag.

America will eventually fall, and after that point, I'm betting we'll see Canada finally goes on it's own path. (sounds like wishful thinking right now, but I can see America collapsing soon).

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I agree Andem. I see the US largely as a fragile and failing giant. It's emperors are presently alternating between fiddling while Rome burns and stmbling around like baby Caligulas.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
As a Québécois, I can possitivly say our culture will never die. Not with the laws we have protecting it. While you see does laws as "english repressing". To us, its mearly protecting ourselves. Go back 40 years, Québec was quite different. Everything was in english. Thanks to the laws the PQ put in place in the 80's, today I enjoy my life in french. Where I never use english, yet im perfectly bilingual.

I recommend you listen to this clip, she gives a global prospective of why bill 101 was voted in.

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-71-101-603/conflict_war/october_crisis/clip4

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I'm afraid I don't agree with any law that limits free speech, short of hate crimes of course.

I think that Quebec could well afford to drop bill 101 now in any case. It has served its purpose and Quebec culture, from the little I've seen of it, is rich and strong enough to survive the onslaught from the rest of North America as long as they retain political control over Quebec.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Numure said:
As a Québécois, I can possitivly say our culture will never die. Not with the laws we have protecting it. While you see does laws as "english repressing". To us, its mearly protecting ourselves. Go back 40 years, Québec was quite different. Everything was in english. Thanks to the laws the PQ put in place in the 80's, today I enjoy my life in french. Where I never use english, yet im perfectly bilingual.

I recommend you listen to this clip, she gives a global prospective of why bill 101 was voted in.

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-71-101-603/conflict_war/october_crisis/clip4

I have to agree with Numure. It is there to protect a culture, even though there are some drawbacks. I think it's a shame English or any other language would have to be half the size of a French sign. Somethings just have to be. Québécois don't seem to mind, and they are the majority.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I worry more about the damage it does outside of Quebec. It fuels the rednecks.

I had a guy from Ottawa tell me not to long ago that the French language college at the University of Regina was a result of Quebec language law and federal bilingualism.

He's never been to Regina (I personally doubt he's driven to Hull either) and it was pretty obvious that he had no idea that the college was there to represent French-speaking people of Saskatchewan and ensure them an education that could take them and the province into the future.

When I pressed him on it, I got the standard, "Quebec has that sign law," answer.

Personally I don't care what language people speak. I wish I could speak more than one, other than being able to curse in Cree. I worry more about the loss of regional dialects and languages world-wide than I do about Canada in particular.

I'm just not sure that Quebec is doing itself, or other French-speaking people in Canada, any favours with their law. It limits free speech and gives those who base everything on which language is spoken instead of which ideas are spoken a lever.