Canadian Hockey anyone?

cybercs

Sep 18, 2005
Anyone here a Hockey fan? Since the new season is just around the corner we hope that the excitement is all over the country!

I just wanted to introduce a new site that is dedicated to all Canadian hockey fans. This site isn't only dedicated to the NHL, but to all hockey.

Like I said earlier it is a new site, but it is always looking for ideas!

<Snip: Advertising not allowed here>

See ya there! :wink:

BTW this is a cool site for Canadian stuff glad I found it. Good job guys! :D

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Last year, I watched REAL hockey. It was great. Really good puck handling. Really, really good hockey.

Women's hockey. Put the NHL to shame.

This year, we have a QMJHL team in town....I got to see the home opener, which was a good game. Almost no stupidity (one elbow to the head). Refreshing. As I explained to my daughter (8, in her 3rd season of playing hockey), if you can skate and handle the puck, you don't need to fight. Fighting is for people who don't know how to play hockey. The dork behind me didn't agree, but at least he shut up.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Canadian Hockey anyon

I am more into WHL, BCJHL hockey than watching over paid people play boring so called Pro hockey.

The strike in 94, Jets and Nordiques leaving Canada and the lock out last season has left a real bitter taste in my mouth. I am not looking forward to NHL this season, actually I could really care less. Junior hockey is where the action is and at least in juniors they try,

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
I am a huge hockey fan, the whole house is. I can't wait for the season to start. Did you hear for the inter squad game with the Canucks last week, over 13,000 people attended. Talk about a city on hockey withdrawals.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The world's best, and most entertaining hockey is the World Junior Hockey Championships. These young men are all giving their best. I look forward to the WJHC more than the NHL playoffs.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The best thing about the WJHC is the way the crowd is in the game. If there is a good scoring chance the crowd comes up with a blast of noise and energy that few other sports can equal. I played the game for fifteen years, coached for another fifteen or so. Still a fan. :lol:

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
Dang, anyone who says that the NHL is not the most exciting hockey in the world is crazzy. I know the lockout pissed off alot of fans but I think it was worth it.
Just look at the benifits for Canadian teams. Pronger and Peca on Edmonton is awesome.

Anyway I called yesterday to buy tickets for the Calgary Flames and was told that they have sold out 21 games for this season already and tickets just went on sale 2 days ago on Sep 17. wow.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Perhaps it would be, if all those millionaires didn't carry all their money around with them on the ice.

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
I don’t want to be a prick about it. After all, hockey is our national sport, and the NHL is supposed to be the top professional league.

I just think that two back-to-back NHL games every Saturday night on CBC is carrying things a bit too far.

One game per weekend, and always a different Canadian team’s home game, plus maybe the Stanley Cup finals and semifinal, if a Canadian team makes the playoffs, is surely sufficient. Any more games can go to TSN and their ilk.

I got to see a couple of alphabet soup games (OPJAHL) last winter, and I agree with the consensus, once you get into them, the NHL ain’t all THAT much more in comparison.

Those multimillionaires better skate the sixteen months of accumulated lard off their backside pretty damn quick.

There just ain’t nobody around with the patience for prima donnas anymore.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

NHL at one time was exciting put the "trap" turned me and many others off years ago. The NHL did make rule changes but they should go to International Ice size surface.

If you are in Vancouver and want exciting hockey, check out the WHL Giants or any one of the BCJHL teams (Surrey, Langley, Burnaby or Chilliwack (Abbotsford next year).

BTW- Chilliwack get an WHL expansion team for next season, hence thats why Chilliwack Chiefs from BCJHL are moving to Abbotsford.

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
ahh bull...........
the 2 games on CBC are necessary one for the east and one for the west of the country ? what the hell would you rather them play ...some wanna be british crap like antiques roadshow?

......comparing the AHL and all the other juniors to the NHL is a joke. That is like comparing the CFL to the NFL hell there is no comparison... but these leagues are necessary because they build the foundations of great North American players.....

would you rather watch a second rate CFL game with less than 20,000 attendence play in a crappy stadium built in 1920....... or watch a game in a 80 000 seat packed place in Denver Colorado........

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
The difference between the 2 is the Juniors play their hearts out trying to make the NHL and the pro's only show up for there contract year .Otherwise they just float .I've been to many NHL games and you can tell both teams are going through the motions .For 150.00 a ticket verse 15 to 25 for the juniors I'll take the kids with the heart .Feck the overpaid pros you never know what your going to get for your money .Besides with the new schedule Van plays Minnesoto times 3 times back to back talk about dull 8O

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

So how are the Blazers gonna do this year mom? The Giants will kick their butt every time. ha ha Nov4 is first time they play.

I remember I was living in Kamloops in the early 90's and the Blazers won 3 cups in 4 years. It was such a high and buzz around town, I have never felt that type of excitement with the Canucks even when all the bandwagon jumpers hop on at playoff time.

For 85 bucks 4 people can go to a Giants game, get free parking (10$ value), 2 white spot pirate paks, 2 Burger platters and a 5$ Chevron gas coupon or if I go by myself I can go for 16$ for the cheap seats or 18$ for expensive seats.

The Canucks are so over priced, then concessions (over priced) and over priced parking, I can't afford it. I went once in late 90's and cheapest ticket was 50 and I was almost at ceiling. No thanks. I will stick with Junior hockey.

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
mrmom I agree with you the juniors play a good game and they are basically playing with the hope that one day they can make the NHL.......

...I do have to say that the preseason schedule was pretty darn screwey... I mean why the hell would the Flames and the Oilers play 4 times for nothing.....

...but did you watch the playoffs last year? once the playoffs come every team is playing 100% jsut like the juniors but the only difference is the plays are 10 times better and the atmosphere is insane....... but whatever if you go to junior games that is good because they need support too........ I actually go to a few WHL games every years to see some rising stars like phaneuf and whatnot......

...by the way do you prefer CFL football or NFL football ........go to any games?

yballa09

Electoral Member
Sep 8, 2005
Rexburg, Idaho
well i think some people do enjoy cfl better than nfl because it is a lot more wide open. Too much running in the nfl. If anything i am a big fan of american colege football. Crazy atmosphere and the guys play their hearts out as well.

I am so pumped for my canucks this season. Our division is going to be awesome, i just hope the new rules will make a difference. I still love junior hockey though. I see around 20 South Surrey Eagles hockey games a year, a couple vancouver giants and maybe 1 or 2 canucks game a year, and i can say that the eagles games are pretty dang close to being as fun to watch as nhl hockey. But if u do get a nice seat close to the ice at a canucks game u can see the big difference between the two, lets just hope that the new rules will let us see the big difference. I agree that in the past the trap would bore me to death. I think a lot of it hinges on these new rules and if the refs will actually call hooking and interference and such lik they say theyll do every year and dont.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
I like both leagues actualy Stephan Reid former Montreal great is a friend of mine and lives down the street 8) I have to admit i like the NFL more those boys play for keeps .Their looking to take heads off every play 8)

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
I have to admit i like the NFL more those boys play for keeps .Their looking to take heads off every play

hahaahahh now you talking man... with the mics you can really hear the sickening thud of a QB being smashed... i dunno if you watched the game in Mexico City yesterday but the first play........

...anyways I went to a Calgary Stamps game for the first time this year and I had to say I was not impressed...... the stadium was tiny and the wider field diden't seem to make the game better..... three downs also hinders the game they should change it.... the run game sucks in the CFL I mean you run the ball on the first play and if you dont get 8 yards you automatically throw it !
....nothing like watching Lewis or Bettis smash through some blocks.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
I've got a 48 inch JVC HDTV and the NFL broadcasts are far superior to the CFL .The color men in the NFL are much better too .Ever been to a game in BC place if you think its bad in Calgary you should try that place .We used tocall the beer dome foam it was always warm and had to be the worst beer money could buy :wink: