Canada’s population is booming – and we aren’t building nearly enough homes

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Virtually none of that is true. BUt it's pretty easy to prove - a simple drive around will show that construction sites still have people hammering and nailing the wood frames together. So.. sadly you're wrong.
lalala I can’t hear you ?

Reactions: petros

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Virtually none of that is true. BUt it's pretty easy to prove - a simple drive around will show that construction sites still have people hammering and nailing the wood frames together. So.. sadly you're wrong.
That's odd....this company doesn't exist and I never worked(work) for them?

I know how long shit takes and how it's fucking done because I fucking do it.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
That's odd....this company doesn't exist and I never worked(work) for them?
Then why bring them up?
I know how long shit takes and how it's fucking done because I fucking do it.
I'm sure every employee down to the janitor thinks he understand the intimate workings of a company and it's customers.

But that's not the case. I work with new home construction constantly, and from the other side (you know - the guys who spend the money and actually see the results).

As i said - it can have some benefits but it doesn't radically reduce much in the way of time or money. Yet anyway. That's why you still see guys with hammers and lumber on construction sites. It has some benefit but it's hardly industry changing and it certainly doesn't allow for new homes to be built from start to occupancy in 90 days, even excluding permit and inspection crap.

If it magically allowed four-plexes to be built in 90 days from start to finish as you claimed nobody would use any other method. But it doesn't. THat's just not true.

And we both know if i call them monday and ask if it's reasonable that using their services i can build a 4 plex in 90 days from the day i place the order to the day people are moving in they'll say that's probably not practical. I would bet it would take more than 90 days to even get my order finished before it's shipped.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Oh you do do ya? Sounds like bullshit to me. Gee, I've never ran a business in my life let alone construction.

Habit for Humanity can build a fully finished house in a weekend but a modern building company can't?

Interesting.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Let's modern it up by a decade.

Not a word in that video claiming it's radically cheaper. Imagine that. And look at the time it's taking - what happened to getting a wall completed in before a framer could get his pouch on?!? - that sure turned out to be bullcrap didn't it :)

And i'm not seeing any of the wiring, or plumbing or even the holes for it in that video - hmmmmm.

Like i said - we've had modular homes and the like for decades now. We know the costs, benefits and lack of benefits.

Sorry - if you thought you could go to these guys with the plans for a 4plex and they'd be able to have you in occupancy in 90 days you're nuts.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Gee, I've never ran a business in my life let alone construction.
That's the first believable thing you've said in a while.
Habit for Humanity can build a fully finished house in a weekend but a modern building company can't?

Interesting.
Habitat for humanity can't actually build a home in 2 days. Sorry. But i love that you've now got total construction time down from 90 days to 2 :) ROFLMAO - keep going, pretty quick we'll be putting together entire buildings in an afternoon like the jetsons :) HAHAHAHAHA

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Not a word in that video claiming it's radically cheaper. Imagine that. And look at the time it's taking - what happened to getting a wall completed in before a framer could get his pouch on?!? - that sure turned out to be bullcrap didn't it :)

And i'm not seeing any of the wiring, or plumbing or even the holes for it in that video - hmmmmm.

Like i said - we've had modular homes and the like for decades now. We know the costs, benefits and lack of benefits.

Sorry - if you thought you could go to these guys with the plans for a 4plex and they'd be able to have you in occupancy in 90 days you're nuts.
Oh fuck off, of course it cheaper and quicker you fucking idiot and yes a 4 plex can be occupied in 90 days.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Kid? I wish.
DUDE! Think about how that sounds before you write it like that :)

Anyways - all Kid-ding aside, we're still not building enough homes and there simply is not going to be any sudden rash of buildnig of fourplexes in 90 days anywhere in Canada.

Which means rents are going to skyrocket even further, homes will start to shoot up in price again, medical and other key infrastructures will begin to fail, and that will lead to a very bad place.

We need to be making more of an issue about this. Federally and provincially. THis stuff takes a long time to resolve, and the fact is once it's too late it's too late.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
This is an infill house that sells for in excess of $700,000 so how is this going to help those who need housing? The issue is that cities (just like in the U.S.) are making regulations on housing that makes it ore expensive for developers and that no one wants to purchase. They're unaffordable so how does that help the homeless? Edmonton is not considered an "expensive" city to live in compared to say a Toronto or Vancouver. So this is Edmonton's solution. Not sure that it's working but there it is.

Attachments

• 1663521239392.png
    1663521239392.png
    582.5 KB · Views: 1

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
This is an infill house that sells for in excess of $700,000 so how is this going to help those who need housing? The issue is that cities (just like in the U.S.) are making regulations on housing that makes it ore expensive for developers and that no one wants to purchase. They're unaffordable so how does that help the homeless? Edmonton is not considered an "expensive" city to live in compared to say a Toronto or Vancouver. So this is Edmonton's solution. Not sure that it's working but there it is.
THat's an issue, but the other issue is that there just aren't enough. Even if it only cost 100 dollars to build a new home - if there's 10 homes and 100 people the homes sell at over a million.

We're going to have too many people fighting over too few resources. One doesn't need to spend a long time reading history to see how that pans out.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
According to some of the local regina custom home builders it takes between 10 - 16 months just for the construction
Custom homes? 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000 sqft.

I'd like to meet these immigrants wanting custom homes upon arrival.

Common are they?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Custom homes? 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000 sqft.
Doesn't say that anywhere.
I'd like to meet these immigrants wanting custom homes upon arrival.

Common are they?
Yes - i'm sure all of them would love to have one. Who wouldn't.

But - the fact is there aren't enough custom homes, non custom homes, semi custom homes or homes customized in any way. There just aren't enough homes. As i've shown, even if you matched up all the homes with all the people and got rid of the geography issues there would still be a serious shortage.

So all your twisting and turning aside, at the end of the day there's not enough homes. And that's not just for new immigrants arriving today - thats' for 6 months from now when they have a little one on the way and need more space, or when they bring in their grandparents or families. And it's also for the last of the millenials and Gen Z who are just getting old enough to want to move away from home and have their own place to rent - part of the great Canadian dream - but they can't and they're stuck in their parents house till they're 40 or stuck having to rent a 2 br place with 3 other people.

And pretending this is going to get fixed if we just hired habitat for humanity which can turn out a complete house from scratch every 2 days is just laughable.

Getting rid of the 'gatekeepers' as PP says will help, but that means we go from 3-4 years to maybe if we're lucky 2 for a developer to turn out condos/townhouses. So PP is probably 3 years away, even if he can magically address that day one we won't feel the effects for at least 2 years after that, so it's half a decade till it would even make any difference. And he can't address it day one.

IF we don't start making this a provincial and federal emergency similar to climate change then by the time someone gets in who might fix it, the situation will be severe. it's already severe really and it'll get worse, and it will take a half generation to get a handle on it at that point.

And that's before we even get in to schools and hospitals. ( Let me guess - you're company can turn out a brand new hospital in 75 days?)

Reactions: Dixie Cup