Canada's dirty little secret

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
We're a lot like Americans
Personality traits close to those in U.S.: study

Canadians like to think of themselves as polite, soft-spoken, welcoming and as unlike their American neighbours as can be.

But a U.S. expert on personality psychology recently completed a study that reveals the two national characters are more similar than many would care to admit.

David Schmitt, a professor at Bradley University in Illinois, analysed the geographic distribution of the "Big Five" personality traits -- extroversion, agreeableness, conscientiousnes, neuroticism and openness -- in 17,837 people from 56 nations. Using the U.S. as a statistical benchmark at 50.0 in each of the five categories, Canada scored 48.32 in extroversion, 49.14 in agreeableness, 49.05 in conscientiousnes, 50.58 in neuroticism and 48.75 in openness.

This means Canadians are only slightly less extroverted and open than Americans, and a touch more neurotic. It also suggests denizens of the True North are actually less agreeable and conscientious than their U.S. counterparts, turning decades of contrasting stereotypes on their head.

"One funny definition I heard is that a Canadian is someone who apologizes when you step on his foot," says Jason Kenney, Secretary of State for Multiculturalism and Canadian Identity. "We can be quite civil, but I don't think we're spineless. ... We're not people who stand back from a just fight." Given this country's personality scores, and their close statistical ties to those of Americans, that appears to be true.

But Mr. Kenney cringes at the idea of using one nation as a yardstick to measure the other.
"I'm fed up with that kind of neurotic version of Canadian nationalism where we constantly compare ourselves to the United States," he says. "We have our similarities and our differences." The Canadian participants in the Bradley University survey, which is published in the Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, comprised 1,039 college students: three English-speaking groups from Ontario, Alberta and B.C., and one French-speaking group from Quebec. The results are considered accurate within 3.1 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

Where Canadians proved most like their U.S. neighbours, reports Mr. Schmitt, was in the study sub-section dealing with attachment styles.

"North America is different from most regions of the world in that our models of self are good -- we believe we're worthy of love and we love ourselves," says Mr. Schmitt. "But our models of others are lower than the rest of the world." We think pretty darn highly of ourselves, in other words, but are deeply untrusting of the people around us.

The Quebec sample was the only group of Canadian respondents that diverged from North American averages, with scores Mr. Schmitt said more closely resembled those of France than the U.S. and English-speaking Canada.

France drew one of the lowest global scores for extroversion (45.44), was found much less agreeable (46.64) than North America in general (Canada, Mexico and U.S. together averaged 49.27), and was among the most neurotic of all surveyed nations (52.29). Exact numbers for Quebec were unavailable.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=b3701229-4c3e-44d2-a474-7b2d8ee65dd8

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:thumbup:North America is different from most regions of the world in that our models of self are good -- we believe we're worthy of love and we love ourselves," says Mr. Schmitt. "But our models of others are lower than the rest of the world." We think pretty darn highly of ourselves, in other words, but are deeply untrusting of the people around us."

DAMN STRAIGHT. Whom would one trust? The French??8O Commie Chinese??8O Mongolians??8O Rooskies???8O Americans??8O

"The Quebec sample was the only group of Canadian respondents that diverged from North American averages, with scores Mr. Schmitt said more closely resembled those of France"

No sh!t Sherlock!!:confused3: Mr. Sch!t has a fine command of the obvious.

We need more "studies" like these. Good sarcasm fodder.:cool:

need more smilies too.

:headbang:

True Canadians distrust ITN

Reactions: #juan

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
:thumbup:North America is different from most regions of the world in that our models of self are good -- we believe we're worthy of love and we love ourselves," says Mr. Schmitt. "But our models of others are lower than the rest of the world." We think pretty darn highly of ourselves, in other words, but are deeply untrusting of the people around us."

DAMN STRAIGHT. Whom would one trust? The French??8O Commie Chinese??8O Mongolians??8O Rooskies???8O Americans??8O

"The Quebec sample was the only group of Canadian respondents that diverged from North American averages, with scores Mr. Schmitt said more closely resembled those of France"

No sh!t Sherlock!!:confused3: Mr. Sch!t has a fine command of the obvious.

We need more "studies" like these. Good sarcasm fodder.:cool:

need more smilies too.

:headbang:

True Canadians distrust ITN

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Personality development is similar in countries with similar religious and cultural makeups!? NO WAY!! It's a psychological BREAKTHROUGH!! LOL.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I know some Canadians that are more American than most Americans. Although how you quantify that is a very grey area.

It's simple to quantify it.

You take a group of humans, and you write down all their traits.

The nasty ignorant traits of humanity... those are American.

The weak spineless traits of humanity... those are Canadian.

Roughly half the humans have a bit of the spineless (Canadian) gene.

Roughly half have a bit of the ignorant (American) gene.

This works equally well when picking apart traits and flaws in religions, races, and sexes.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
because some people have the misinformed idea that the defining characteristic of a patriotic Canadian is a dislike of the United States.

He's just trying to get yer goat. I swear, one of these days I'm going to go down there and get his. Then I'll eat it. :lol:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
He's just trying to get yer goat. I swear, one of these days I'm going to go down there and get his. Then I'll eat it. :lol:

Oh! lol... I didn't mean just him. lol. This has been a topic spreading across a few threads for a couple days now. That's the simplest way to boil the silliness down, from all sides of the argument.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Oh! lol... I didn't mean just him. lol. This has been a topic spreading across a few threads for a couple days now. That's the simplest way to boil the silliness down, from all sides of the argument.

Ive only ever actually met one Canadian. Her name was Jenna, and she was a 2nd Lieutenant in the Canadian Army. We dated for almost a year, and she was:angryfire:!!HOT!!:angryfire:.

So based on that, I'm going to have to say I like Canadians.:smile:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
because some people have the misinformed idea that the defining characteristic of a patriotic Canadian is a dislike of the United States.
Karrie they may not be true...but I can see how some would see it that way...

The whole generalised attacks and contemptuous attitude I've seen here for America over the few years I've been here, is real...I and others are not imagining it.

It's as silly and ridiculous as my signature may seem to some.

We are two of the finest nations in the world...why do I feel like I'm preaching to the choir, lol...and it's ok to see the errors in America's choice of leaders, the flaws in her foriegn policies, but the seathing contempt for our best friend, really has to go.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Karrie they may not be true...but I can see how some would see it that way....

And that is the point of my statement. Some Canadians see it that way... the only way to love our country is to hate theirs. And some americans see it that way... that if we're patriotic it MUST mean we hate them. It's all insane in my books. Rampant tribalism.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Have to go with the Bear on we're two of the finest nations on this planet. I have no problem with Americans as a people. Some of them can seem a bit silly. Ill-informed will do it every time - and nobody is exempt from it.

It's that "Holier-than-thou" attitude of a few that ends up as what some folks come to accept Americans as being - because they're always the mouthiest and in-your-face ones....

Wolf

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
And that is the point of my statement. Some Canadians see it that way... the only way to love our country is to hate theirs. And some americans see it that way... that if we're patriotic it MUST mean we hate them. It's all insane in my books. Rampant tribalism.

Of course some believe that, some Canadians believe Rick Mercer's "Talking to Americans" is documentary evidence of American stupidity.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Have to go with the Bear on we're two of the finest nations on this planet. I have no problem with Americans as a people. Some of them can seem a bit silly. Ill-informed will do it every time - and nobody is exempt from it.

It's that "Holier-than-thou" attitude of a few that ends up as what some folks come to accept Americans as being - because they're always the mouthiest and in-your-face ones....

Wolf

According to the article, Canadians share that in abundance. :smile:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
According to the article, Canadians share that in abundance. :smile:
I'll second that...and sight this site and others like it as fine examples.

I'm quite secure in my Canadianism(lol???), I do not feel the need to put the US down to some how feel superior.

Sadly, I honestly believe, that some of the most fevered posters on this topic suffer from just such an inferiority complex.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Great, now that we know Canadians are like Americans I guess we'll have to start invading everybody now.:lol: