Canada? Olympics? HAHAHA

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
Looks like we drowned in swimming.

And then I hear today is full of drug test eliminations and appeals to the sports court of appeal.

Isengard

Electoral Member
Did you notice that almost everytime an athlete is interviewed, he manages to insert McDonald's in the discussion. They all seem to be waiting for the end of the games to rush to the nearest McDonald's and get a Big Mac. Like you get in shape like that eating fast food. I think that the sponsorship is a big part of the dopping problem. There's too much money involved in the games now. They have to win no matter the cost to get their big bucks. Look at Phelps, A rich man from the US promised him a million dollars if he had won his 8 gold medals. Can we compete just for the love of it? I think not, not considering the current times, everything evolves around money.

How can you be proud of your athletes anyway when you see all the ones that have been tested positive so far? I like to think that Canada sucks that much because we don't use drugs, but I doubt it a lot. Who would go to competition against other athletes when they know the other use drugs? Nobody can do that.

Who would sacrifice all those years to end up being not qualified after the first round when you know that "IF" the other athletes weren't drugged, you would have won??

Maybe people will wake up someday and realize that there is more to life than money?! Pride... maybe? In my dreams we do!

undergradNITZ

Electoral Member
Aug 6, 2004
Toronto
Canada not one of the major sponcers...thats why for judging comp. we always loose and if there is any problem in anything we are kicked out or disqualified...like those canadian rowers....

also...athens is one of the worst places to hold the olympics...not taking that there so in debt that thats why they favor the countries that give alot of money.....athens is 1 of the worst places in the world for smog....athleats performence will be also poor....maybe also why were doing so bad is cuz there not used to the crapy air....

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Isengard,

Where can I sign up to follow you! I like what you said. Someone else who knows that evil clown has his hands in everything. You see beyond the golden arches 8)

Isengard

Electoral Member
undergradNITZ said:
Canada not one of the major sponcers...thats why for judging comp. we always loose and if there is any problem in anything we are kicked out or disqualified...like those canadian rowers....

also...athens is one of the worst places to hold the olympics...not taking that there so in debt that thats why they favor the countries that give alot of money.....athens is 1 of the worst places in the world for smog....athleats performence will be also poor....maybe also why were doing so bad is cuz there not used to the crapy air....

Well, the crappy air would not just affect our athletes, it would affect them all. And for them to favor people with money, they could only do that where judges are involved. If you finish 1st at the 100m race, you're first, that's all, no matter how much money the other country gave.

Isengard

Electoral Member
peapod said:
Isengard,

Where can I sign up to follow you! I like what you said. Someone else who knows that evil clown has his hands in everything. You see beyond the golden arches 8)

Just sign me a check and it will do! :lol:

I try to stay well informed regarding what those big corporations do. If I don't like what I find, I don't buy their stuffs anymore. That's the least I can do as a single person.

DEATH TO WAL-MART!!!! :wink:

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
Isengard, I'm with ya on boycotting any business that does bad things.

A few years back a single mother had to roll up her pennies to buy milk and a few other items. The grocery store refused to accept her rolled coins. It made the news and newspaper. The stupid grocery store gave her a $25 gift certificate to make up for what they did. Not good enough I say. But lots of people boycotted them to teach them a lesson.

Then there was a girl here in Vancouver who had her first job at Dairy Queen. When she made herself a burger for her break she put in an extra tomatoe and didn't charge herself the additional 40 cents for it. They fired her. Haven't been back, phoned them and told them how stupid they were for that and that they should give this poor kid back her job, for a flippin tomatoe slice.

Isengard

Electoral Member
bevvyd said:
Isengard, I'm with ya on boycotting any business that does bad things.

A few years back a single mother had to roll up her pennies to buy milk and a few other items. The grocery store refused to accept her rolled coins. It made the news and newspaper. The stupid grocery store gave her a $25 gift certificate to make up for what they did. Not good enough I say. But lots of people boycotted them to teach them a lesson.

Then there was a girl here in Vancouver who had her first job at Dairy Queen. When she made herself a burger for her break she put in an extra tomatoe and didn't charge herself the additional 40 cents for it. They fired her. Haven't been back, phoned them and told them how stupid they were for that and that they should give this poor kid back her job, for a flippin tomatoe slice.

That's nice bev, if everyone thought just a bit like you do it would make all the difference!! People thinks that we don't have the power to change things, but we do have that power. What if as of tomorrow, we decide as a nation that we don't want Nike to be sold here in Canada? I think Nike would listen really carefully to what we have to say to them. When I talk to people sometimes I'm sad because of what I hear. How is it that they gave up on life like that? People are mad at the government "but eh, what can we do? They're all the same!" I hear them say, and they will surely continue to be like that if we don't do something.

I know this thread is out of topic but I want to add this little anecdote. My girlfriend's brother worked for the liberals during the last campaign so he gave a Paul Martin's T-Shirt to his mother that she wore so proudly.... Anyway, the other day we are having dinner my girlfriend, her parents and myself and we're talking about the coming elections and what could be the right choice to do bla bla like probably everyone did in the country. We are questionning a lot of things and we realize that my girlfriend's mother know nothing and is quite close to the debate so I ask her for whom she is voting, she tells me for Paul Martin. Then I ask her why, and that's my favorite part, she tells me because her son works for him!!

KAPOW!! That's impressive!!

What if he had worked for Ariel Sharone?

I know it's only one viewpoint from one person but I think it resume what people feel in general, that they just gave up..