Camping around Calgary... Waterton?

liquid shadow

Jun 23, 2006
Calgary
Hi all

I am new in Calgary and I was wondering where is the best place to go camping? I need camping ground where I can put my tent, make fire (fire pit) and if possible to have lake close by.

Does anyoone have advice about camping? or experience in Waterton? Do I have to reserve in advance for Canada Day?

Thanks for the tips

@nte :D

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I used to camp here a lot. It was an excellent spot, on pretty fast flowing river...or creek or whatever.

We used to camp more in Montana and Washington, I don't remember where, exactly.

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
Waterton will be full on Canada Day. Don't even try. The campsites fill most of the summer months and hard to get a spot if you arrive after noon even on a week day.

We camp a lot. On weekends we head the opposite direction to the badlands. Our favorite campsite is at Tolman Bridge on the Red Deer River ( 175 kms from Calgary near Trochu) and you can hike all day at Dry Island Buffalo Jump). You can swim and fish in the river (warm water).

Dry Island is a gem of a park. If you get to know what to look for there's lots of dino bone, native artifacts, etc. It's a bit like Dinosaur Provincial Park or Writing-On-Stone Park but a lot less busy.

Hint. 'If' the east side of the river is full,there is lots of room on the west side to camp.