Campaign Petition

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I got a flash this morning ...ok ..brain fart....
Any of you sick of the negative campaign ads?
How about a petition to all political parties to stop all negative campaigns and to stick to thier party platform in the medias that is printed, televised (ads)....

I know there will be this free speech arguement but still , if there is a huge amount of voters that petition against such campaigning , they just might want to change thier tune. Hell they wouldn't want to lose votes right?

So here's the thing.
Lets word out a petition manifest that we mostly can agree on....spam it and find the emails to the parties for them to receive them ?

Sound interesting?
Let's make the news ;)

How about it?

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I'll start

We the Canadian citizens of this country demand to respect the wishes of this petition to stop all negative campaign ads , be that printed, televised , radio and online. Where any mention with in that ad should strictly be that of the party advertizing. To hold to expressing your own party proposals and directions only.

Hows that? anything to add
legal mumbo jumbo we need to cover?

Can it be worded better?

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Great idea. I'll put my thinking cap on when I get back from coffee at my favourite watering hole. Later.

I'll start

We the Canadian citizens of this country demand that the political parties of this country respect the wishes of this petition to stop all negative campaign ads , be that printed, televised , radio and online. The content of ads should strictly be that of the party advertising, to hold to expressing your own party proposals and directions only.

Hows that? anything to add
legal mumbo jumbo we need to cover?

Can it be wordded better?
What do you think of this?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
How about a petition to all political parties to stop all negative campaigns and to stick to thier party platform in the medias that is printed, televised (ads)....

I know there will be this free speech arguement but still , if there is a huge amount of voters that petition against such campaigning , they just might want to change thier tune. Hell they wouldn't want to lose votes right?

So here's the thing.
Lets word out a petition manifest that we mostly can agree on....spam it and find the emails to the parties for them to receive them ?

Sound interesting?
Let's make the news ;)

How about it?

I'm not sure if "sick" of it is quite the word. It just reinforces to me what a bunch of idiots they really are. I would think a politician with any substance would value a "yes" vote based on sincere belief in the candidate much more than a flimsy vote resulting from one politician out baffling the other. I want to know what the guy is going to do to improve things for the country first and what he's going to do to improve things for me and my family second. None of the parties in Canada today have one more thing to offer than the others. The only reason I'm for keeping what we have is it saves changing stationery and it saves us a few $ in severance packages. Otherwise they are ALL tarred with the same brush. Their biggest asset is they provide fodder for the cartoon writers. Oh yeah, can't forget it eliminates the necessity for new wall paper and paint at Sussex Drive.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Great idea. I'll put my thinking cap on when I get back from coffee at my favourite watering hole. Later.

What do you think of this?
Just one problem I have ....I already gave you a thumbs up :D

yes I like it :D

I'm not sure if "sick" of it is quite the word. It just reinforces to me what a bunch of idiots they really are. I would think a politician with any substance would value a "yes" vote based on sincere belief in the candidate much more than a flimsy vote resulting from one politician out baffling the other. I want to know what the guy is going to do to improve things for the country first and what he's going to do to improve things for me and my family second. None of the parties in Canada today have one more thing to offer than the others. The only reason I'm for keeping what we have is it saves changing stationery and it saves us a few $ in severance packages. Otherwise they are ALL tarred with the same brush. Their biggest asset is they provide fodder for the cartoon writers. Oh yeah, can't forget it eliminates the necessity for new wall paper and paint at Sussex Drive.
Ummmm so you are worried about cartoon writers?
sick ...tired....annoyed.....I think the message is fairly clear , no?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Just one problem I have ....I already gave you a thumbs up :D

yes I like it :D

Ummmm so you are worried about cartoon writers?
sick ...tired....annoyed.....I think the message is fairly clear , no?

Nope, not worried- just nice to know there is one segment of society whose jobs are secure. :lol:

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I'm just thankfull that it's over in a little more than a month and we're not in constant campaing mode like the States...
They are already preparing for the fall of 2012.....

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I'm just thankfull that it's over in a little more than a month and we're not in constant campaing mode like the States...
They are already preparing for the fall of 2012.....
Good point ...... it should be worded from this time on or something...for the next elections

It doesn't prevent them from doing it live tho.....just thier ads...

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I completely agree with the premise, Bart but I doubt that having spent thousands of dollars on preparing these stupid, mindless, nasty ads, that any party would be willing to cut them - unfortunately.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I completely agree with the premise, Bart but I doubt that having spent thousands of dollars on preparing these stupid, mindless, nasty ads, that any party would be willing to cut them - unfortunately.
I would seriuosly doubt any of this would actually get thier attention for this campaign....but We can get things ready rot eh next one ;)
Besides just making a large enough uproar would give them a message no?

Should add also to keep the ads during election time

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

So here's the thing.

Sound interesting?
Let's make the news ;)

How about it?

Probably dififcult at the party level, since local candidates have little control over party policy. Perhaps we could be more effective at the candidate level:

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/canadian-politics/99208-candidates-pledge.html

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Simple way to solve this is for the taxpayer not to fund candidate advertisements

Harper did want to cut funding for political parties just before he proroguued Parliament, remember?

I still disagree with his decision to prorogue parliament and viewed it as an abuse of power seeing that in a true democracy the majority decides EVEN WHEN IT'S WRONG.

But I actually did support his intention to cut party funding.

suzannedb

Mar 29, 2011
Vancouver
I'm in. IMHO all parties embrace or stoop to these tactics sooner or later - a great diversionary tactic, obliviates the need to discuss real issues in a meaningful way. No need to respond to accusations made, why bother? Simply launch a new salvo against your opponent. I'm sick of it.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Not sure why they use negative adds anyway. I can think up a few dozen negatives about all of them on my own and I don't need reminding.

jgarden

Mar 29, 2011
When a party has been in power for 5 years and choses not to run on its own record, then negative campaigning is all that is left.