Blockbusters online video service, is it good?

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Has anybody ever used the Blockbusters online unlimited DVD rental service? Postage paid both ways, unlimited rentals, no late charges, etc., etc., it *sounds* pretty good, but is it? There is another company that started doing this before Blockbusters, can't think of the name off-hand. Anway, if anybody can give me a better idea of any hidden drawbacks, that would be great, thanks.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I don't know.. it definately sounds too good to be true. Is it something like that divx rental? I would guess it involves downloading a 4gb file. :p

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
We use Netflix down here. It works fairly well.Wave of the future, type thing No more running to the video store to pick something out. Its all done by mail. Which is appealling and somewhat more enviromentally appealing.

We're signed up for blockbuster but I have not tried it out yet.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Thing is, it is on the level, I'm sure of it, but I have to wonder: you get three movies at a time, and can't get anymore until you return those three... well, after you mail off the first three and are waiting for the next three, you essentially are right back to going to the video store, it seems to me.

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
We started with three. Watched one ,one night, sent it back after viewing. As this process goes on you can keep rolling movies over, getting new one's alomost everyday. I am sure for a little extra cash you will be able to increase the movies to five at a time. I know Netflix offers this service. Personally one movie a night is fine for us.

fubbleskag

noYOUshutup
Sep 10, 2004
Indiana, IN
www.speedofwood.com
i've been using zip.ca since they became publicly available earlier this year without a single complaint. they do have the availability to upgrade the number of movies you watch to match your needs. delivery times vary depending on where you are located in the country, but they did recently open a delivery outlet in red deer i believe.

my best friend in california has been using netflix since he moved there last year and has nothing but good things to say about them. i've been getting their investor reports for almost as long and they're making disgusting amounts of money.

another alternative (in canada) is VHQ; my ex is using them currently and says they have just as many movies as zip, and similar delivery times - but she prefers their website layout and selection process.

JorCON5

Dec 14, 2004
St Catharines ON
I use zip.ca and it is much better than paying close to $5 dollars for a new release. I pay $33 a month and they send me 6 dvd's at a time and send me more once I return any of those 6. I can usually go through 24 dvd's per month. That is $1.38 a dvd with no late charges. In theory if one had a dvd burner and certain freeware programs one could burn for his/herself. But that is totally hypothetical. : )

notsoproud2

Jan 5, 2005
USA
Planning on joining Blockbuster online myself one day. They also have a free trial offer. You probably need a credit card for the free trial because most companies hope that should you wish to cancel you will forget to do so and they will at least get one month's charges.

Wanted to mention that Blockbuster and other companies have affiliate programs where if you get someone to sign up they pay you - not sure but I think Blockbuster pays a $20 affiliate fee even for signing up someone for the free trial. So, a good idea to sign up for the affiliate program and place it on your website and in emails. If no other traffic, at least your family and friends can earn you a commission.

Also, for those who don't have a website or don't want to be bothered with affiliate programs, there are some sites out there who will pay you - either in cash or points - to sign up under them. I know of two if anybody's interested. Have joined but not signed up for anything so cannot vouch for their integrity.

Judland

Electoral Member
We use VHQOnline's service.

They have great selection and get the movies out as scheduled. So far, every movie we've added to our list has been sent to us on time and in the order we've listed them.

We watch and return our DVDs the next day, so the rotation is pretty good. We certainly get to watch more movies for the price, vs. renting from the local store.

miskris

Jan 9, 2005
i dont know if you're in canada, but the blockbusters service isn't available here yet .. if they offer a combined package when they come out here (in-store+online rental) i will sign up ... Either way, I plan to stick with jurassicdvd.com, who i just started with last week. I have used nearly all the companies i have found in canada (moviesforme.com, rentadvd.com, starflix.ca, zip.ca, dvdsto yourdoor.com, and a few others). I found the selection, service, and rates all pretty decent and comparable. But then I came across JurassicDVD and it's completely outstanding ...they have a much more comprehensive selection and add a ridiculous amount of new DVDs daily. They were missing my Bernie Mac series (which most of the services don't have) and added all four discs of season 1 the SAME DAY i suggested they add it. Their free trial is a full week longer (21 DAYS INSTEAD OF 14). I think they actually notify you too before they start charging you (the others automatically start charging once your trial period is up)! I asked how many episodes were on each of the BM discs and they sent me a complete episode listing for each. All of my queries have been answered within a few hours and with more info than i asked for--by a real person! But most importantly, their rates are much better than any other i have used -- starts at $14.99 (2 dvds) and high end is $21.99 (5 dvds). i think i paid $24.95 to $27.95 for 3 dvds on the other ones, and now i'm paying $16.99. so if i watch 18 dvds they're 0.94 instead of 1.39 and better service. they don't have a referral program yet but i suggested it and i am sure they will set something up because they are ahead of the competition in every other way, on top of the whole "consumer experience" trend. no i don't work for them but i would!

miskris

Jan 9, 2005
i dont know if you're in canada, but the blockbusters service isn't available here yet .. if they offer a combined package when they come out here (in-store+online rental) i will sign up ... Either way, I plan to stick with jurassicdvd.com, who i just started with last week. I have used nearly all the companies i have found in canada (moviesforme.com, rentadvd.com, starflix.ca, zip.ca, dvdsto yourdoor.com, and a few others). I found the selection, service, and rates all pretty decent and comparable. But then I came across JurassicDVD and it's completely outstanding ...they have a much more comprehensive selection and add a ridiculous amount of new DVDs daily. They were missing my Bernie Mac series (which most of the services don't have) and added all four discs of season 1 the SAME DAY i suggested they add it. Their free trial is a full week longer (21 DAYS INSTEAD OF 14). I think they actually notify you too before they start charging you (the others automatically start charging once your trial period is up)! I asked how many episodes were on each of the BM discs and they sent me a complete episode listing for each. All of my queries have been answered within a few hours and with more info than i asked for--by a real person! But most importantly, their rates are much better than any other i have used -- starts at $14.99 (2 dvds) and high end is $21.99 (5 dvds). i think i paid $24.95 to $27.95 for 3 dvds on the other ones, and now i'm paying $16.99. so if i watch 18 dvds they're 0.94 instead of 1.39 and better service. they don't have a referral program yet but i suggested it and i am sure they will set something up because they are ahead of the competition in every other way, on top of the whole "consumer experience" trend. no i don't work for them but i would!

miskris

Jan 9, 2005

YKdvd

Jan 17, 2005
Yellowknife, NWT
www.dvdinfo.ca
I started trying out rental companies a year ago. I'm currently a happy ZIP customer, but I wound up creating some info pages, now at http://www.dvdinfo.ca. There is some useful info on inventory estimates, etc. Someone else runs an active discussion board devoted to Canadian DVD rentals at http://www.onlinedvdrentalguide.ca.

If you are looking for the largest selection (similar to Netflix in the US), ZIP is far ahead of the others. Basically, if it is available on DVD they will have it, and if you find something that isn't there they will add it. Anecdotal reports would indicate that if you do a lot of new release renting VHQ may have better service in this area right now, although of course it is hard to tell. Some of the other companies may have features of interest (location, price, etc).

YKdvd

Jan 17, 2005
Yellowknife, NWT
www.dvdinfo.ca
I started trying out rental companies a year ago. I'm currently a happy ZIP customer, but I wound up creating some info pages, now at http://www.dvdinfo.ca. There is some useful info on inventory estimates, etc. Someone else runs an active discussion board devoted to Canadian DVD rentals at http://www.onlinedvdrentalguide.ca.

If you are looking for the largest selection (similar to Netflix in the US), ZIP is far ahead of the others. Basically, if it is available on DVD they will have it, and if you find something that isn't there they will add it. Anecdotal reports would indicate that if you do a lot of new release renting VHQ may have better service in this area right now, although of course it is hard to tell. Some of the other companies may have features of interest (location, price, etc).

YKdvd

Jan 17, 2005
Yellowknife, NWT
www.dvdinfo.ca