Best GSM Network in Greater Toronto Area (GTA)

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
I have bought a Tri-band GSM Sony Ericsson Z600 unlock phone from overseas, and wanted to buy a SIM card from one of the cellular phone networks in Toronto. Which one (Rogers, Bell, Telus, Fido) has the best GSM reception and sound clarity across GTA and neighbour 905 areas (like Markham, Richmond Hill)? I know Rogers is the biggest cellular phone network across Canada, but their GSM network is below average. Any insight? Thanks. Jan 24, 04

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
The only choices you have are Rogers or Fido. Both have OK coverage in the GTA. My fido gets funny reception in some areas like elevators, but that's to be expected. Incase you travel north a lot, Fido gets weird between Richmond Hill and Newmarket. Service in Barrie just sucks! And no coverage in Wasaga Beach.

The 905 areas seem pretty good though for Fido. Rogers in my apartment always cuts off, but Fido is just fine.

snooker

Electoral Member
May 16, 2004
canada big apple
MK said:
I know Rogers is the biggest cellular phone network across Canada, but their GSM network is below average. Any insight? Thanks. Jan 24, 04

Hi ... You know thats funny rogers being the biggest and it just might be true too but whats really funny is you would think being the biggest they rogers could match prices with bell which isn't the case with me.... I been with bell now for a year and i have a 2 years contact with them .... I have rogers high speed and i was thinking to switch cell phone services until i found out that rogers wouldn't match bell deal and what really kills me its not that big of a deal that i have with bell .... :eek: