banking fees

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
I have always used credit unions because I don't like how the big 5 banks rip people off for no reason. They want everyone to use ATM's so they can have less staff and charge you mint each time you dare cause a transaction on your account. I hope this credit union means what it says and a year down the road they don't go back to fees.

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
zenfisher said:
I had a bank account with the BoC... They wouldn't cash my income tax check, unless I had sufficient funds in my account to cover the check. This is was GOVERNMENT check. Its not like it was going to bounce.
Your country is how much in the hole?
;)

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
zenfisher said:
I had a bank account with the BoC... They wouldn't cash my income tax check, unless I had sufficient funds in my account to cover the check. This is was GOVERNMENT check. Its not like it was going to bounce.
;)

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
zenfisher said:
;)

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
When I first moved back to Toronto and began receiving Welfare, I had no bank account here in the city.

I took my welfare cheque to a bank and they refused to cash it without me having an account.
When I wanted to open an account, they said I needed to make an appointment.
It was their way of telling the poor not to hang around their bank.

People on welfare begin to think they even smell like welfare!

Anyways; I went to Metro Credit Union and had no problems at all.

What I like about my credit union is that they don't have slips for you to fill out before you get to their wicket.
They do all the writing.
I don't need to bring my reading glasses with me when I go to the bank.
Great stuff!

Calm

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
When I first moved back to Toronto and began receiving Welfare, I had no bank account here in the city.

I took my welfare cheque to a bank and they refused to cash it without me having an account.

What I like about my credit union is that they don't have slips for you to fill out before you get to their wicket.
They do all the writing.
Great stuff!

Calm

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto

They do all the writing.
Great stuff!

Calm

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
A lot of businesses here treat people on welfare like dirt,but not on the one day of the month they have an income.Banks just don't want to be bothered with them.My daughter told me of the problems she had when she was on welfare,plus I spent 33 years delivering the cheques and saw myself just how the recipients were treated.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
A lot of businesses here treat people on welfare like dirt,but not on the one day of the month they have an income.Banks just don't want to be bothered with them.My daughter told me of the problems she had when she was on welfare,plus I spent 33 years delivering the cheques and saw myself just how the recipients were treated.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.

Bozono

Mar 6, 2005
416er
Welfare cheques huh? ... If you want to cash a welly cheque in Canada, simply look at the name of the chartered bank on the cheque. They are obligated to cash it if they produced it, though you may have to show persistence. In Toronto it' the RBC. As for Credit Unions vs. banks; credit unions hands down. I once debted a CU for a couple hun., yet they didn't screw my credit rating. No bank in this country would do that. This I know.

CanadaLoyalty

Jun 24, 2005
www.canadaloyalty.com
Paranoid Dot Calm said:

Calm
The majority of the bank's profit is derived from the richest customers. It's not worth their while to take on these customers.