Are there differences?

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Are there differences

When I was in grade 8 way back in October 1980, we went on a Camping trip to Montague Harbour Marine park on Galiano Island, with our "exploring nature class". We had to walk from ferry terminal. It was the most beautiful part of BC. I have ever seen and still is to this day.

The people were very friendly, it was breathtaking scenery, saw deer and grouse, mild climate (it would have to be to camp in a tent in October).

The only problem I had was a racoon broke into my tent and stole my cookies.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Blah! golfers...now there is some good target practice :lol: :lol: It must be just me, no matter where I go I never really find people stuck up, you can pretty much find something in common with most people.
But I must say that islanders are just a little different, they are on island time, and I am not talking about people that move here, I am talking about people who have lived on this rock most of their lives. Islands have they own kind of evloution happening :p :wink: the kootenays tho, what a place, its so beautiful there, last time I was around revestoke, I thought I had descended into tibet, the mountains there are so humbling, nature at its best :wink:

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
British Columbia is beautiful. Some people who live there dont deserve it. When I lived in Victoria I found that they wont hire you due to your qualifications. If you were not from the island, they weren't interested. And some of the places I applied at had interesting people working there. I think Revelstoke is awsome. However, visiting a place is alot different then trying to live there.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Thats true gonzo, even here in lotusland its not what you know, its who you know :wink: One day you will rise from the ashes gonzo and return to british columbia and continue with your art work. You have talent. :wink:

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Very kind of you Peapod. I do want to go back, to visit (as I now have some friends there who'll let me stay with them) and then to retire. If I could work there I would. It is the nicest place in Canada when it comes to climate and scenery.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
the kootenays tho, what a place, its so beautiful there, last time I was around Revestoke, I thought I had descended into tibet, the mountains there are so humbling, nature at its best
You should see the other side of those mountains Pea 8) I've rid my sled pretty much from Sicamous to Revelstoke through the tops and backsides of those mountains you see,Its one of most beautiful places on earth .Ya just have to watch for moose early in the year those big bastards have a hate on for sleds they stomp one or two a year.When there on the trail you stop get of your sled and run :lol:

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
While it is true that you will find both good and bad people anywhere, towns and cities do develop certain qualities that reflect the nature of the majority of residents, or at least that of the local 'ruling class'.

Over the years we have lived in redneck nut-job towns, liberal weenie towns, big cities, small villages... in Canada, the U.S. and Europe. Inevitably, we have made comparisons, and our fifteen year 'sentence' (career) in Kelowna has created a dislike for the place that grows with each passing year. It is a heartless, soulless community, a town of boosterism, endless vanities, and good ol' boy manipulations, all rolled up into one big polluting fattie guaranteed to make you high on the place if you're willing to believe the hype.

We plan to make our escape before we become so hopelessly Kelownianated that we can no longer crawl our way back up into the fresh air.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: liberal weenies, I think I will keep that one. Believe it or not haggis, I am glad to see you back :p guess your here to reclaim your postion has top poster :p just kidding now :lol: :lol:

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Thanks for the welcome, guys, it is kind of strange to be back.

Pea, I got the 'liberal weenies' thing from JibJab's hilarious political video 'This Land':

http://www.jibjab.com/play.asp?contentid=162&groupid=2

I won't be a contender for top poster, not if I can help it. I'll be sticking mostly to read-only, with an occasional venture into read-write. :cool: By god, that is my intention, although my good intentions do go by the wayside often enough.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Joe citizen here :p I am just lil old peapod now...I have retired as moderator, and I hope that my huge pension cheque kicks in soon. :p I have to turn my attentions now to my peas and beets :p

Quit lurking haggis and get your ass back to this board, you know you want to :p We have had our differences, viva la difference :p But I can say that you are at least a sane intelligent person...I promise I will do my best to behave :p sorta.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
ummm, haggis watch that one! i really don't believe that pea could ever 'behave herself'......god only knows what she will get up to now that she has that extra time on her little hands :twisted:

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
God, I am such a sucker for flattery....

:cool:

I don't worry about our differences, peapod... hell, I'm more worried about the things we have in common, ie our definition of 'sane'. After all, you say I am sane, and I totally agree. This pretty much proves we're both nut jobs. :cool:

And Galianomama, believe me, when pea says she will behave I take it in the same spirit that I take my own promises to be good.

Walrus

Nominee Member
Mar 20, 2005
Victoria
:lol: Let me tell you a story!! :lol:

I was born in Burnaby. My father was from Quebec and my mother was from BC (Vernon). My father, being in the RCMP, moved around the whole country, so, as a youngster, I've lived in BC, Ontario, Quebec, and New Brunswick. When I got older, I became a sailor and worked on the Great Lakes. This allowed me to see Nova Scotia and the North shore of Quebec along the St Lawrence. Because of the lack of continual work, I joined the Navy. For the first two years of my carrer I lived in Halifax and spent some time in Newfoundland. Later I moved back to BC (Victoria/Esquimalt) and have spent the last fifteen years here. Before I bacame a sailor I went to university in Edmonton (U of Alberta) - mostly because it had the cheapest tuition in the country. My oldest sister married a Saskatchewan dirt farmer and I've visited her sevral times there, even helping out with their harvest. Last summer I travelled across the country from Victoria to Halifax and back again to visit friends, and in-laws (my wife is from NS) in Nova Scotia and also in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Quebec, and New Brunswick. I even took a side trip to PEI so I could say that I've been to every province in the country (even though it was only a few hours). All-in-all I think that I can say that I've experienced most of the different cultures that this country can offer, and quite a few more than most people can claim. My experiences of this country, I believe I can rightly claim, are pretty unique for any Canadian. In addition to that, in my career in the Navy, I've seen close to a hundred different countries. Trying to be modest, I think this still qualifies me to be somewhat of an expert in cultural affairs. After having visited all of these different countries I have come to the conclusion that Canada is the best place in the world to live. That being said, I will give my breakdown of the Canadian personalties(from East to West with apologies to the Territories, which I have not visitied yet):

Newfoundland: These people are the friendliest I have ever met. They will invite you into their homes and treat you as a member of the family without asking anything in return. If you offer them anything they will insist on repaying that kindness in full. If they borrow anything, even a cup of milk, they will pay you back.

Nova Scotia: In line with Newfoundlanders, but a little more reserved. They are very friendly but a less than Newfies, showing a lot more distrust of outsiders. Along with the other Maritime Provinces they display an openness that is very unfamiliar to urbanites, but which can be very eyeopening for the cynics who believe there is no trust anymore.

New Brunswick: Again along the same line as the Newfs and Nova Scotians. Because of the bilingual nature of NB you also experience the Acadian culture in it's rawest form. You might envision this as a totally negative experience but the reality is far from that. Acadians can be considered a distinct society in their own right - their cultural differnce from Quebecois is as great as their cultural difference from English Maritimers. My father, who spoke excellent Quebecois French, couldn't understand a word that the Acadians spoke. Nonetheless, as long as you respect their culture, they are very friendly and the same as any other Maritimer.

Prince Edward Island: My experience with PEI is very minimal. I've visited it for a few hours and most of the people I've met from there are friendly - no more, no less.

Quebec: The great enigma of Canada. Half of my family bloodline comes from Quebec and it still very puzzling to me. The whole idea that Quebec is a 'Distinct Society' is not without justification. The problem is that most Seperatists refuse to accept that almost every other region of the Canada can make the same claim, as well as sub-regions within every province. Leaving those arguments aside, Quebec is a very diverse and dynamic province. If you go the the Gaspe you can meet people whose culture more closely resembles the people of the British Channel Islands. Around Quebec City you can find examples of the Feudal French of the 1700's. Around Montreal you experience the international flavour of Paris. People are very friendly regardless of whether you can speak French or not and if you try to speak french they are even friendlier.

Ontario: My personal experience of Ontario is that it is the worst example of what Canadians are really like. The French-speaking people of Ottawa and Eastern Ontario tend to personify all the negative things that people say about French-Canadians and the people of Toronto and Southern Ontario tend to personify all the negative things that people say about English-speaking Canadians. Having said that I find it necessary to qualify my statements in order to lessen their impact. Ontario also personifies the over-all image that Canada gives to the world; an honest, modest, self-deprecating country that wishes no harm to any other and only wants to make things better in the world. Since Ontario presents this image to the world as a whole I can only say that it's too bad the rest of the world doesn't see how friendly the rest of the country is.

Manitoba: My experience of this province is like PEI. I can only say that if they are like the othe Prairie Provinces, they are pretty good.

Saskatchewan: I like to joke that I've only known one person that has moved to Saskatchewan - my sister. Sasakatchewan farmers are like Maritimers, willing to give you the shirts off their backs without asking anything in return. The biggest difference is that they aren't as out-spoken as Maritimers. Unless you are patient you'll have a great deal of difficulty in understanding how friendly and generous they truely are. If you are patient, the rewards are truely worth it. They are modest to a fault, but just as, if not more so, generous.

Alberta: Albertans are just like Saskatchewans with the difference that they are more confident. Despite all their bluster, Albertans are just as willing to put up with other people's faults as they are with their own. Prairie people are by-in-by very tolerant people but Albertans have a tendancy to be less tolerant of people who show no common sense. This tends to give the impression that they are more red-neck but the truth is that they are just less tolerant of those people who don't understand them.

British Columbia: A psychologist could publish a thesis on BC. It has often been described as the California of Canada, as if that could describe all the idiosynchrities of the province. I have lived in the Okanagan, Vancouver, and Vancouver Island and I still have a problem describing th differences of those regions. Various regions of BC almost comprise a broad cross-section of Canada. Fishermen of the Coastal regions are a lot like the Maritimers. People in Vancouver exhibit a lot of the traits of Toronto (with a west-coast flair). The Interior exhibits a lot of the traits of the Prairie farmers plus some of the feeling of the Niagara peninsula and Georgian Bay area of Ontario.

My apologies to those from the Northwest Territories, Nunavut, and the Yukon since I have not yet had the opportunity to travel to those regions.

Let me summarize all of this. Of all the areas and countries I have been to I would not trade a single country for the experience of having lived in any region of this country. Canada is the best country I have ever been to - bar none - the people are the best, the climate sucks at times but is still tolerable, and no matter how much we complain, the government and its institutions are among the best in the world.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Are there differences

My apologies to those from the Northwest Territories, Nunavut, and the Yukon since I have not yet had the opportunity to travel to those regions.

Well, hopefully you will one day.

I have been to Yukon- Watson Lake, Whitehorse and Dawson City. It is beautiful and scenic (a few million bugs though ha ha) I would urge everyone and anyone to go up there. It is a once in a lifetime expeirence and I hope to go for a longer holiday when I go again. Unreal and unbelievable was my expeirence and the people are very very nice.

I would like to go to NWT and Nunavut one day, as well.

tramp33

Apr 15, 2005
I lived in Kelowna for about five year's all together throughout my lifetime and I have to agree Kelowna people SUCK!
Don't know why exactly but meeting people you'd actually want as friend's there seemed next to impossible? And it alway's seemed to be people from elsewhere I'd end up partying with? Mostly prairie people who'm I mostly enjoyed, but even more than a good number of these dissapointed me in the end in one way or another?
People that actually grew up in the Kelowna area seemed distant and strange in weird way's somehow? And those that were from the small surrounding town's such as Winfield or wherever seemed really tight knit and hard to get close too? Weird place altogether that entire Okanagan area and some of the lonlyest time's of my life were spent there, come to think of it? A complete waste of time second only to Edmonton for shitty place's that I've lived in, and lately I find adding Vancouver to that list to be easier to do all the time?

tramp33

Apr 15, 2005
Lived in and around the Kelowna area for about five year's altogether and would have to say I agree Kelowna Suck's alright! It seemed to me you could live there forever and still not meet anyone worthwhile in knowing? And after all the time I was there I don't have one single person I'd call a friend living in the area?
The smaller town's surrounding Kelowna seemed almost worse though with the peoplo seeming to be really tightknit and hard to get to know? As though all outsider's were susspect somehow? To the point where it made them seem not worth the bother after a while. Seemed to me that about the only genuinly friendly type's living in the Okanagan at all were those that lived on the reserve's, to be completely honest? And I can honestly say that's where I had the best time's while living there those wasted five year's.
About the only place worse I can think of beside's Kelowna where I've lived would be Edmonton. People only wanted to drink and fight, which was right on par with the Kelownian's, to my way of thinking?