Americans and their flags.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
There is no culture section, and this thread will have more to do with esthetics than politics, so for lack of a general culture section, I'll put it here.

I was looking around to see if the US has a civil flag, official or otherwise. It turned out that some group online is promoting an unofficial civil flag of the US:

:: Welcome to US Civil Flags! ::

But what is it with these Americans? I mean, yes, their state flag of the US government has some aesthetic qualities to it and some of their city flags might come out well too. But most state flags of US states and most of their city flags that I've seen over the years are absolutely awful! I mean seriously, hire a pro when designing these flags fer crying out loud!

Now a group has come out to promote a US civil flag. I actually like the idea of a separate civil flag that stands distinct from the state flag in principle: but the monstrosity they came up with is God-awful.. in the US flag-design tradition I guess.

I mean seriously, hire professionals if you want to design a civil flag guys. Don't bring shame on yourselves!

American flag-designers really do need to develop a sense of aesthetics when it comes to flag design.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017

Canada might not be the best when it comes to flag design, but we certainly outshine the US by far. Aesthetically, the Canadian 1965 flag can certainly stand head to head with the US federal state flag (with the US federal state flag being among the few good flag designs the US has). Our provincial flags and our city flags I've seen are at least decent. And when it comes to unofficial flags, some Canadians fly the Canadian Red Ensign. While not perfect, at least it's not ugly either. The Quebec flag is a really good one, and even the provincial Francophonie flags are at least okay.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Canada might not be the best when it comes to flag design, but we certainly outshine the US by far. Aesthetically, the Canadian 1965 flag can certainly stand head to head with the US federal state flag (with the US federal state flag being among the few good flag designs the US has). Our provincial flags and our city flags I've seen are at least decent. And when it comes to unofficial flags, some Canadians fly the Canadian Red Ensign. While not perfect, at least it's not ugly either. The Quebec flag is a really good one, and even the provincial Francophonie flags are at least okay.

The US flag was great until they added the 14th state.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betsy_Ross_flag

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
The US flag was great until they added the 14th state.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betsy_Ross_flag

I actualy don't mind the US stars and stripes. I tend to prefer simpler designs so I find the stars and stripes a little cluttered with fifty stars and thirteen stripes, but other than that, it's still arranged reasonably well.

But did you see the proposed civil flag in my first link? I hope the US never confers an official status on that rag.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Or, if you prefer. . .

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Interestingly, the only person advocating a "civil flag" for America is a Canadian, so I picked this design:

I don't care what flag you adopt, but let's face it, many US flags, whether state or municipal, leave a lot to be desired and so does the proposed civil flag. That thing was horrid.