Allicin - or - why garlic gives you gas

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Well, I tend to like garlic in what I cook. But since moving to Europe, I started to notice that when I would chop or crush something with garlic in it, the next day I would have many tiny, itchy blisters on my hands. It was always the next day that I would notice so it took me a long time to realize what the culprit was:

Allicin!

Now, it is peculiar that it only occurs when tissue damage occurs. So one way to reduce the amount of allicin, is to chop your garlic into 2-3 pieces only. I was told by an Italian colleague of mine that another method is to chop the garlic and leave it in the fridge overnight. One can also place garlic in oils and store it for a length of time.

If you suffer from heartburn or flatulence after eating, it too may be caused by allicin. So beware your finely chopped or crushed garlic. You may be better off putting it in whole.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Funny. Garlic doesn't bother me when it is cooked into a curry or a stew or even raw (finely chopped)in a salad dressing, but if I were to just chew up a clove of garlic, I would go into terminal heartburn that would require a cup of half and half to cool.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Funny. Garlic doesn't bother me when it is cooked into a curry or a stew or even raw (finely chopped)in a salad dressing, but if I were to just chew up a clove of garlic, I would go into terminal heartburn that would require a cup of half and half to cool.

Methinks you have an ulcer....

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Well, I tend to like garlic in what I cook. But since moving to Europe, I started to notice that when I would chop or crush something with garlic in it, the next day I would have many tiny, itchy blisters on my hands. It was always the next day that I would notice so it took me a long time to realize what the culprit was:

Allicin!

Now, it is peculiar that it only occurs when tissue damage occurs. So one way to reduce the amount of allicin, is to chop your garlic into 2-3 pieces only. I was told by an Italian colleague of mine that another method is to chop the garlic and leave it in the fridge overnight. One can also place garlic in oils and store it for a length of time.

If you suffer from heartburn or flatulence after eating, it too may be caused by allicin. So beware your finely chopped or crushed garlic. You may be better off putting it in whole.
You can also buy a large amount of garlic (about 20 in a bag)and chop them in your blender or food processor and then add olive oil and store it in the fridge for future use. It's fast and easy and it's not expensive.