Alberta MLA are above the law?

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Alberta legislature to allow smoking in building
CTV.ca News Staff

"Alberta smokers are getting lit up over a decision that leaves them out in cold and their leaders smoking legally indoors.

As of Jan. 1, the Alberta legislature will be one of the few workplaces in the province where smoking is still allowed. "

Wow, this is something else. Can a government be anymore hypocritical? I saw a news report that had Klein saying that they had to be sensitive to the old-timers who started smoking when it was more glamourous. I mean there are old-timers in other building too but they have to follow the rules.

I guess that is the Alberta way, they like two tiered everything, including their smoking laws.

Roy

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2005
Alberta
ahh yea it is kinda hypocritical but they did change the ruling so it is not going to be allowed after all. Actually I find Alberta the most respectable province when it comes to smoking, I mean we don't force all bars to ban smoking becuase a select few don't like it.

I have been to bars in other provinces and the smoking laws are rediculous, they totally discriminate against smokers. What the hell is wrong with a workplace or bar having a ventilated room for the smokers to light up in? or why is the patio offgrounds in Sask?

I don't understand why the people who want to huntdown and torture smokers want to loosen up on marajuanna. Its kinda hypocritical don't you guys think? ahhh just my 2 cents.

( I believe in Alberta it is up to the municipalities or districts to legislate smoking laws, and we do not have a province wide ban)

justfred

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2004
Drumheller
In regards to the no smoking by-laws, I have heard that it against the laws in Saskatchewan to smoke in the bars. They will allow the people to go outside and smoke in the parking lots, etc, and have their fix. One of the most draconian things I have heard is that the bars can sell cigarettes, if over the age of majority, but cannot sell or give to anybody any type of fire, like matches or lighters. Does that make any sense to anybody but a government agency?
If this is true, please advise and also if untrue, please advise what the policy is.
I guess that the hotel owners have some recourse, do not pay your property taxes, if you are going to loose the hotel by the fact you are restricted who can come into your establishment, then let them deal with the delinquent taxes.

fubbleskag

noYOUshutup
Sep 10, 2004
Indiana, IN
www.speedofwood.com
RE: Alberta MLA are above

Here in Calgary, there are two separate laws/by-laws (I'm not sure which is which in this case, and cba to look it up); one allows smoking inside of certain bars, while the other disallows smoking within 6(?) metres of an entrance/exit.

So, if you're sitting on the patio at the Ship & Anchor you are required to go indoors to have your cigarette.