Alberta Agenda

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
Withdraw from the Canada Pension Plan to create an Alberta Pension Plan offering the same benefits at lower cost while giving Alberta control over the investment fund. Pensions are a provincial responsibility under section 94A of the Constitution Act. 1867; and the legislation setting up the Canada Pension Plan permits a province to run its own plan, as Quebec has done from the beginning. If Quebec can do it, why not Alberta?

Collect our own revenue from personal income tax, as we already do for corporate income tax. Now that your government has made the historic innovation of the single-rate personal income tax, there is no reason to have Ottawa collect our revenue. Any incremental cost of collecting our own personal income tax would be far outweighed by the policy flexibility that Alberta would gain, as Quebec’s experience has shown.

Start preparing now to let the contract with the RCMP run out in 2012 and create an Alberta Provincial Police Force. Alberta is a major province. Like the other major provinces of Ontario and Quebec, we should have our own provincial police force. We have no doubt that Alberta can run a more efficient and effective police force than Ottawa can – one that will not be misused as a laboratory for experiments in social engineering.

Resume provincial responsibility for health-care policy. If Ottawa objects to provincial policy, fight in the courts. If we lose, we can afford the financial penalties that Ottawa may try to impose under the Canada Health Act. Albertans deserve better than the long waiting periods and technological backwardness that are rapidly coming to characterize Canadian medicine. Alberta should also argue that each province should raise its own revenue for health care – i.e., replace Canada Health and Social Transfer cash with tax points as Quebec has argued for many years. Poorer provinces would continue to rely on Equalization to ensure they have adequate revenues.

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
Feckin' red neck separatistes. Yankee go home. What the hell, no jobs left in Amerika?

...what's wrong with the plan Blair...it's pretty much what Ontario and Quebec already do? Many are Quebec ideas and I don't see you saying anything about Quebec?

....and by the way there are plenty of jobs in my field in America...but my girl is Canadian so I live here and I am a citizen. And I vote in provincial elections and you can bet I gonna vote in the next federal election.....

...I think the all these are good idea's...why not have our own provincial police force...or collect our own revenue from personal income tax.....and whats wrong with an Alberta Pension Plan which could be at a lower cost while giving Alberta control of the investment fund?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
If your girl was really Canadian, she'd chop it off while you were sleeping. Maybe she already has...that would explain a lot.

I don't have the energy to explain everything to you though. Go read the old threads.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Health-care boogeyman label unfair, says Klein

Alberta Premier Ralph Klein says it's wrong to call him the boogeyman of health care.

Klein made the comment Monday after a speech in Ottawa, part of a three-city speaking tour for Canada's longest-serving premier. His key message is that Alberta's current economic prosperity benefits all Canadians.

"The Liberal rhetoric relative to me being the bad boy of health or the boogeyman of health is wrong. It's absolutely wrong. It's bad, it's bad politics and it's b.s. politics," he told reporters.

Sounds awful defensive to me. He would privatize all Health Care if he could.

He is the boogeyman of health care, he hates social programs, poor people etc. Although Harper would give him a good run for the Boogeyman title.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
He would privatise it, No 1. It was just a little while ago that those "secret papers" outlining Klein's plan to privatise were leaked to the press. This little tour is damage control for the upcoming federal election.

Roy

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2005
Alberta
Start preparing now to let the contract with the RCMP run out in 2012 and create an Alberta Provincial Police Force. Alberta is a major province. Like the other major provinces of Ontario and Quebec, we should have our own provincial police force. We have no doubt that Alberta can run a more efficient and effective police force than Ottawa can – one that will not be misused as a laboratory for experiments in social engineering.

I dont' know about health care and some of the other issues like collecting personal income tax that you brought up. But I don't mind this one, I agree Alberta is becoming a major province and it would b cool if we had our own provincial police force, jsut like Ontario does. The Alberta Provincial Troopers, sounds good. :)

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Well we do not have a provincial police force and I do not think one is planned. If it aint broken don't fix it. Of course my city has the largest RCMP detachment in Canada and will be home to the new "E" division when they are done building it.

Really why would a provincial police force be better? Or is it just to say "up yours" to Ottawa?

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
Alberta seems to always had an envious eye towards the east. It must be one of those "size" issues.

Seriously, why persue something mainly because ontario has it?

I have always wondered about whether the provinces should be responsible for more (directly).

Roy

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2005
Alberta
maybe provinces should be responsible for policing,maybe not. I think some of the larger provinces might be able to pull if off. I don't know I just like that one idea that the guy had. I don't really believe it is an envious thing though, why would you think that?

Roy

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2005
Alberta
Withdraw from the Canada Pension Plan to create an Alberta Pension Plan offering the same benefits at lower cost while giving Alberta control over the investment fund. Pensions are a provincial responsibility under section 94A of the Constitution Act. 1867; and the legislation setting up the Canada Pension Plan permits a province to run its own plan, as Quebec has done from the beginning. If Quebec can do it, why not Alberta?

Collect our own revenue from personal income tax, as we already do for corporate income tax. Now that your government has made the historic innovation of the single-rate personal income tax, there is no reason to have Ottawa collect our revenue. Any incremental cost of collecting our own personal income tax would be far outweighed by the policy flexibility that Alberta would gain, as Quebec’s experience has shown.

Resume provincial responsibility for health-care policy. If Ottawa objects to provincial policy, fight in the courts. If we lose, we can afford the financial penalties that Ottawa may try to impose under the Canada Health Act. Albertans deserve better than the long waiting periods and technological backwardness that are rapidly coming to characterize Canadian medicine. Alberta should also argue that each province should raise its own revenue for health care – i.e., replace Canada Health and Social Transfer cash with tax points as Quebec has argued for many years. Poorer provinces would continue to rely on Equalization to ensure they have adequate revenues.

if you read this it seems these are mostly Quebec ideas.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
i aqm half-joking about the envy, but it does at times seem like alberta has one envious eye looking east and one envious eye looking west. A type of sibling rivalry perhaps?

Roy

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2005
Alberta
Re: RE: Alberta Agenda

the caracal kid said:
i aqm half-joking about the envy, but it does at times seem like alberta has one envious eye looking east and one envious eye looking west. A type of sibling rivalry perhaps?

haha maybe. I dunno I think Alberta always gets a bad rap all the time. I mean Quebec ignorantly want to seperate after all we have given them, but no one critisizes them. Alberta ain't gonna seperate trust me. I have lived here all my life and I know it ain't as bad out here as in Quebec. I think it is more politically motivated here I mean it is a sea of blue in a red country, ya know what I mean.
People always call Alberta racist, but when Quebec lost the referendum they blamed it on the immigrants for voting to keep Canada united. But no one ever talks about Quebec...why is that?

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
the regions tend to not pay that much attention to each other, i think, when it comes to the "day to day" business. The little things do seem to add up though, and like children fighting over the "best toy", the provinces seem to derive a lot of their own identities from comparing themselves to the other provinces (much like the old canadian definition of what a canadian is being "not americian"). very strange indeed.

You must know the old joke about Toronto being the glue that holds Canada together because everybody outside of Toronto hates it?

There was uproar over the "ethnic vote" comments, judt like there is uproar whenever anybody dares talk about changing the canada health act (which is funny since it was not all that popular when the government introduced the idea).

You are right about the regional stereotypes, be it hogtown, or the hippie west coast, the uptight quebecer, or the alberta "redneck". It always amazes me how little Canadians know about their own country. It does not help when the regions play up these stereotypes for tourism, i guess.

I suspect the we are on the path to more and more provincial autonomy. It would be good if a plan on what this new autonomy was drafted before had though so we don't end up making things worse.

Political motivations are a very important consideration. Canada has a long history of pandering to the beaten Quebec that won't let the old wounds heal. It is also less politically incorrect to refer to an uprising in alberta as "a bunch of rednecks...." than to refer to an uprising in quebec by any equivilant term. "redneck", it seems is the equivilant of "fat", when it comes to socially acceptable put-downs.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Re: RE: Alberta Agenda

Roy said:
haha maybe. I dunno I think Alberta always gets a bad rap all the time. I mean Quebec ignorantly want to seperate after all we have given them, but no one critisizes them.

Myself, I tell the Quebecois to sit down and shut up at every opportunity...unfortunately, as I'm a prairie boy, it doesn't happen nearly enough...

Now, the Quebecois, while they piss me off immensely, at least have a reason (if not a good one), for separating, that being some misconcieved notion that they would be happier with their own national identity. But this reason, however childish it seems is one that does not involve greed, and so could have some merit from a purely altruistic angle. Of course everyone knows that the old separtistes are less pro-Quebec than they are anti-Canada, but that's besides the point.

Alberta has no such altruism, being wholly concerned with keeping their oil revenues, and so would be reviled by the entire nation, far more so than the Quebecois.

Quebecois goals -- Destroy Canada and hope that Amerika North adopts french as the official language.

Alberta separtist goals -- sell the Quebecois into slavery to work the oilfields...

Roy

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2005
Alberta
If those quebecers ever leave....they should leave with that little strip of land they came in with. The rest is Canada.