Air (or Error?) Canada. Our National Carrier…

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
That’s what happened here for over four months. I was listening to this woman being interviewed on the radio this morning. She did send piles and piles and piles of emails and so on and so forth, but also was directly at the airport with the AirTag information and got nowhere.

She and her husband eventually just drove to this storage compound and even figured out which container it was in. Eventually when the police cracked open the container with their warrant, there was something like 500 suitcases in there.
I had a bag lost for two weeks. Here's the deal. You need to go to the airport physically (dress nicely), go to the lost baggage office, find that one person (probably from the prairie provinces) who'll actually LISTEN to you, and make puppy-eyes at her (it's usually a "her"). She knows all the tricks for working the system, and she'll get you your bag, if it's humanly possible.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Dogsled. Y'all Canadians or what?
Need to get to Toronto for a business meeting from Regina? Just Dogsled 500 miles west to Calgary to catch a plane east to Toronto….go to meeting, then reverse the process. Same for your next vacation.

(I know you’re saying the above tongue in cheek, but the situation is real but with a private vehicle taking the place of the dogsled. 8 hour drive to the airport to be there minimum 2 hours before your domestic flight…each way?…& don’t be late?)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Need to get to Toronto for a business meeting from Regina? Just Dogsled 500 miles west to Calgary to catch a plane east to Toronto….go to meeting, then reverse the process. Same for your next vacation.

(I know you’re saying the above tongue in cheek, but the situation is real but with a private vehicle taking the place of the dogsled. 8 hour drive to the airport to be there minimum 2 hours before your domestic flight…each way?)
I know, and frankly, I think the idea of a provincial capital not having regular commercial air service (including Inuvik) is a scandal. Can't a private company fill the need? I can see a Dash-8 from Regina to Saskatoon, but Regina should have at least 737s/A-180s to/from Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Vancouver, and Toronto, non-stop.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I know, and frankly, I think the idea of a provincial capital not having regular commercial air service (including Inuvik) is a scandal. Can't a private company fill the need? I can see a Dash-8 from Regina to Saskatoon, but Regina should have at least 737s/A-180s to/from Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Vancouver, and Toronto, non-stop.
It is possible…but it’s not cheap.
Here’s the same hypothetical, but they route it through Vancouver to get to Toronto from Regina For the theme of Air Canada not flying out of Saskatchewan (they do with their “Jazz” carrier):
1674826665307.jpeg

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well. . . what's the problem? Do you need a private company to step in, with little regulation and possibly favorable treatment? It seems to me this is a "public good" that deserves some government support.

The price is staggering. You sure the stopover isn't in Sydney?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well. . . what's the problem? Do you need a private company to step in, with little regulation and possibly favorable treatment? It seems to me this is a "public good" that deserves some government support.

The price is staggering. You sure the stopover isn't in Sydney?
I don’t know what the answer is. I picked two random consecutive dates (31st & 1st) like a business meeting. Five years ago a couple (Husband & Wife) could fly both ways for a weeks stay at an all inclusive in the Mexican Riviera for much much less than this hypothetical domestic Air Canada flight for a meeting….& still the trip to Mexico might end up routed through Toronto at least one way. Figure that one out….

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I don’t know what the answer is. I picked two random consecutive dates (31st & 1st) like a business meeting. Five years ago a couple (Husband & Wife) could fly both ways for a weeks stay at an all inclusive in the Mexican Riviera for much much less than this hypothetical domestic Air Canada flight for a meeting….& still the trip to Mexico might end up routed through Toronto at least one way. Figure that one out….
If I'm to be serious, I'd suggest writing to your MPP. I wouldn't bother with Ottawa just yet (and possibly never).

But I've been told by a Congressional staffer that one original, on-point letter is worth 100 e-mails, 1000 petition signatures, or 10,000 protesters in getting a Congresscritter's attention. Can't be much different for MPs and MPPs. Politics is politics.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Here’s the same hypothetical, but they route it through Vancouver to get to Toronto from Regina For the theme of Air Canada not flying out of Saskatchewan (they do with their “Jazz” carrier):
View attachment 17109

From first to last.....

Groome, who had served with the Royal Flying Corps as an instructor during World War I set up the "Aerial Service Co" in 1919, with his partner Edward Clarke. Although the company was a failure Groome had registered Canada's first aircraft, C-GAAA, a Curtis JN4 biplane and in April 1920 he became the first licensed commercial pilot in Canada.[1]

Because the forerunner of Transport Canada made their first trip from Ottawa, Ontario in 1920 to Regina, Groome was able to claim several aviation firsts in Canada. He received the first pilot's licence, the first commercial pilot's licence and the airfield he had helped set up was licensed as Canada's first "air harbour". At the same time his mechanic Robert McCombie was given Canada's first air engineer's license.

In 1927 Groome set up his second company "Universal Air Industries" at a new airfield called "Lakeview Aerodrome". Later that same year he also helped form the "Regina Flying Club", where he was to hold the position of flying instructor until his death.

In September 1935, Groome and student Arnold Sym were killed when the control rod on the aileron of their Avro Avian failed and the aircraft crashed just outside Regina.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Used them when I had to. Would use West-Jet when reasonably comparable. I hear you.

View attachment 17109
2300 hundred fucking dollars for economy class from Regina to Toronto? On an airline that is literally a washed-up has-been? Goddam, I can remember when AC was a world class airline. Your luggage tended to arrive with you. The service was exemplary and the food was actually quite good. but that was a LONG time ago. Last time I flew AC (in 1983) lunch was a ham sandwich with 1 slice of ham that was so fucking thin you could see through it.
My very last flight as a commercial passenger was in 1986 when I took CP Air from Vancouver to Edmonton. Since then, if I planned on traveling a large distance I would either take the train or fly there myself.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
2300 hundred fucking dollars for economy class from Regina to Toronto? On an airline that is literally a washed-up has-been? Goddam, I can remember when AC was a world class airline. Your luggage tended to arrive with you. The service was exemplary and the food was actually quite good. but that was a LONG time ago. Last time I flew AC (in 1983) lunch was a ham sandwich with 1 slice of ham that was so fucking thin you could see through it.
My very last flight as a commercial passenger was in 1986 when I took CP Air from Vancouver to Edmonton. Since then, if I planned on traveling a large distance I would either take the train or fly there myself.
Don't your arms get awful tired?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
TORONTO – A new study has revealed that the best way to get rid of an unwanted cadaver is to carefully pack it into a suitcase and check it as luggage with Air Canada at a local airport.

“Checking in bodies with Canada’s largest air carrier is the most convenient way to get rid of unwanted contents and move on with you life,” said a local organized crime syndicate who conducted the study. “The evidence will be sent to another airport whether it be Mexico, Paris, or Whitehorse. You’re never going to see it again!”

Tracking the location of the in-flight luggage is next to impossible given the mysterious route changes and cancelled flights.

The report also outlined how Air Canada employees will keep quiet and only give non-answers, or blame other air carriers for the body.

• Haha
Reactions: petros and Serryah