A murder of crows

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
There goes the crows, heading for their rookery on James island...Oi! every day, same time, hundred and hundred of crows. I hear the flock in vancouver is has grown to unbelievable numbers.

"Every evening as dusk nears, up to 10,000 crows from across the Lower Mainland make their way to a group of deciduous trees near the junction of Lougheed Highway and Willingdon Avenue. There, in the safety of numbers, they sleep. Each morning, just past dawn, they retrace the commute back to their individual territories."

Cracks me up, no pun intended, how they drop their nuts off the roof of a building, across from me, to break them open...Oi! perhaps one day crows will be ruling this planet

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s798478.htm

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Crows are actually pretty cool birds., they clean up a lot of garbage peopls create. They have a useful purpose. cah cah

I wonder if crow pie would taste similar to Turkey or chicken meat pies?? :twisted:

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
That's weird, they do the exact same thing here on PEI. You could always set your watch on sunset, because every crow on the island will fly to Victoria park for the night. It's like watching a long river of birds.

Must be a social event or something.

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
peapod said:
"Every evening as dusk nears, up to 10,000 crows from across the Lower Mainland make their way to a group of deciduous trees near the junction of Lougheed Highway and Willingdon Avenue...

Oh... I thought they were going to Mcdonalds to eat the fries in the garbage... :eek:

Actually, I happened to be there one day when all the crows were there and they just literally covered the grass area and the trees. It was like a black sea of birds... never seen so many crows in my life.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I love crows. They are so full of personality.

I've heard that they are capable of talking like parrots do, with a slight modification....I don't know if it is true or not.

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth
We in Ontario have the same problem with Starlings. People have been playing music, shooting them, and poisinging the chirps. The most effective( and unusual) way I've seen to get rid of the birds was to call in a Native Medicine Man as some homeowners in Burlington , Ontario did. He did a dance and chanted a bit and the birds left, and haven't come back.........
The problem, ususally lies deeper then just moving them. It's all about changing enviroment for the birds. They are running out of NATURAL habitat, food sources....etc....because we as humans want more.............

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
bhoour said:
The problem, ususally lies deeper then just moving them. It's all about changing enviroment for the birds. They are running out of NATURAL habitat, food sources....etc....because we as humans want more.............

That and it's easier to live off our garbage and leavings rather than live off of the natural but harder to find diet.

Have you ever seen starlings fight over a Timbit? They're vicious little peckers.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Have you ever seen starlings fight over a Timbit? They're vicious little peckers.

Was that some kind of profanity? :wink: :lol:

I was reading about Starlings the other week and it seems Starlings are an import. Some well-intended Brit just couldn't stand not having Starlings around and brought over a few. Some domestic birds are suffering because of Starlings. Cowbirds are another. Cowbirds don't make nests. Like a Cuckoo, they lay their eggs in other birds nests.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Just so you know...on dis island, our crows are Northwestern crows, on the mainland, they have the american crow....and right about now...they are gathering at ocean house 8O :lol: :lol: :lol: