80s Nostalgia Thread

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I thought this could prove to be quite an interesting thread! Many people yearn for the 80s or atleast the music from it... I'm gonna start by posting some pictures which are reminicent of the period and why not add some for yourself too?

These are just some random things I came up with that remind me of the nostalgic feelings of the 80s :)

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
80s ... disco ... big hair ... hats ... gawd, I remember it like it was yesterday!! Wonder what ever happened to my go go boots???

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Ah, the eighties...a madman in the White House carrying out secret and illegal wars, a greedy bastard in 24 Sussex trying to sell Canada out from under us, a war-monger in 10 Downing all too happy to do the bidding of the United States. No wonder some pine for the music...the politicians are the same.

Hunter Thompson wrote Generation of Swine for that decade. Bill Gibson penned his first cyber-punk book and had to actually explain to the interviewers that it was about living in Reagan's America. Those of us who actually knew how to read kind of figured that out by the end of the first chapter.

I got out of high school in 1982. Pot still had cool names...Maui Wowie, Acapulco Gold, and the king, Sensimillia...and hadn't gone metric yet. Hash was sold in grams, but pot was still in ounces.

You couldn't by a case of 24 beer in Saskatchewan yet. It was illegal to sell more than a dozen in a package, but you could buy as many dozens as you wanted. You also couldn't get beer in cans in Saskatchewan back then.

The muscle cars of the sixties, at least the more common ones, were dirt cheap. We bought them as beaters and destroyed them. You get a 300 horse power monster for $400 dollars. For $2500 you could get a Mustang Mach I that would smoke the back tires on command.

Sex couldn't kill yet, at least not in Saskatchewan. AIDS was something happening in San Francisco, New York, and Haiti. Even herpes was some far-off and exotic disease relegated to those in big American cities.

The music on the radio sucked, but that was okay because there were still plenty of indepently owned record stores around and the staff there were more than happy to order in imports from England and check back catalogues for old blues records.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
No one can forget the sony betamax player!

.. You remember when the video store was half beta and half VHS?

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004
Province perdue du Canada, Louisian
The 80's, let's see:

!. No Kids...Yet Well, middle 80's OK.
2. Wife wuld give it a go and look like Brigette Bardot!!!!
3. Gas at 60 cents a Gallon! If you could find it!
4. What was a cell phone?
5. My computer was a 8088 Machine, 3 mhz!
6. Floppies were just that .....FLOPPY.
7. Some of the great bluesmen & Jazz guys were still around in New Orleans then, REV, for the price of a drink, you hear great msuic and stories!
8. All night Beer and Liquor in Louisiana (Dont never close!)
9. I could still go to my uncle's camp in Northern Ontario and drink cheap! No, him and my dad couldn't drink Crown Royal Dry but they taught me to keep the second shift busy! I miss those guys!
10. My hair was NOT gray.

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
Hmm. I have very fond memories of the 80's... I'm an 80's kid, that's forsure. I even had the big hair to prove it....

Tie dye....slouch socks (coming back into style)...slap bracelets...cabbage patch dolls (good god, these are back too)...chocolate coke...Video Hits...boy bands with bad curly hair...

Oh, trip down memory lane. Thanks Andem.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: 80s Nostalgia Thread

Diamond Sun said:
...chocolate coke...

!!! Wha... CHOCOLATE COKE!!!! Whaddaya mean, chocolate coke?? How did I miss that? I was around, how the hell did you have chocolate coke and I didn't?? I am totaly traumatized by this, DS. I want to know everything about chocolate coke.

Now, back a decade before that, there was a test market of chocolate popsicles, not to be confused with fudgesicles. Real popsicles, chocolate flavoured. Man, those were the best things ever, and I don't know why it failed but they were taken off the market. They tried marketing them again in the 80s but again, it failed to take. I think I am the only person who ever bought them, and I would keep any nearby store that carried them completely sold out of them, too.

harmony

Oct 31, 2004
Oh wow! Today's special!!!!!!!!!! Degrassi!!!!!!! Chocolate popsicles!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Such memories! Minus the big hair - I loved the 80's!

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..

Haggis McBagpipe said:
Diamond Sun said:
...chocolate coke...

!!! Wha... CHOCOLATE COKE!!!! Whaddaya mean, chocolate coke?? How did I miss that? I was around, how the hell did you have chocolate coke and I didn't?? I am totaly traumatized by this, DS. I want to know everything about chocolate coke.

Okay. I'm not sure it was actually Coca Cola that came out with it, but it was definitely chocolate pop. My mom loved the stuff, we used to have cases of it in the cupboard at all times. It was seriously yummy stuff. I don't know if you can find it anywhere anymore. Now that I think of it, it was probably a no-name brand that she bought....

You really missed out Haggis. :)

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Oh god please don't tell me that. I can't live with knowing I missed out on something I've wished for for so many years. Chocolate pop, my god I would love chocolate pop to death.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.

Diamond Sun said:
You really did miss out!! :)

God knows, my mom may even still have some stored away in their basement somewhere....

Yeah, like I'd want the non-carbonated version, which it must surely be by now. No, I say we start a campaign to bring it back.

WE WANT OUR CHOCOLATE SODA! WE WANT OUR CHOCOLATE SODA! HELL NO WE WON'T GO! Wait, that's not right. WE WANT OUR CHOCOLATE SODA!