2022 World Cup

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
England 0-0 USA

ap22329734201714.jpg

Had England won tonight they would have qualified for the Last 16 after Iran's 2-0 win against Wales.

Instead, they drew 0-0 against a team they have never beaten in the World Cup.

I remember England being in a shitty 0-0 draw with Scotland in the Group Stage of Euro 2020 yet they got all the way to the Final, in a tournament that is arguably tougher than the World Cup. A win against Wales will do it.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Well played, Blackleaf. You were better (duh), and I'm proud we hung with you.

I don't know if we were better. I think we dominated the opening 15 or 20 minutes then got shit, with too many misplaced passes and the central defenders Stones and Henderson just passing it backwards and forwards between themselves at times like tennis. Kane, who is supposed to be a striker, kept playing in midfield for some reason - he wasn't far enough forward to trouble the USA defence - and Foden, who is probably the best English player right now, didn't even start the match.

Group B

Iran 2-0 Wales
England 0-0 USA

Standings

England - 4
Iran - 3
USA - 2
Wales - 1

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
This has been a World Cup that has seen Argentina lose against Saudi Arabia and Germany lose against Japan.

I think the team that has most impressed me so far has been five-time winners Brazil, who beat Serbia 2-0 yesterday thanks to two goals from Tottenham Hotspur's Richarlison. They look well-placed to win the trophy for a record sixth time. My Brazilian friend Luciana is taking a few weeks off work to escape the freezing English winter to watch the World Cup back in the seering hot summer of her native land. Football is a religion in Brazil.

The only downside to Brazil is their shit haircuts. Their squad barber needs to be fired.

295e0-16693268685069-1920.jpg

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Here are what the teams in Groups A and B - whose teams have played twice - have to do do qualify for the Last 16. The top two from each group go through...

Group A

_127766607_-da053d57-d96d-487c-a981-a1ab74af10d4.jpg

There was heartache for Qatar on Friday as the hosts became the first team to be eliminated from the tournament.

After losing 3-1 to Senegal, a 1-1 draw between the Netherlands and Ecuador condemned Qatar to an early exit. It is the earliest a host nation has been knocked out of the World Cup.

The draw between the Dutch and Ecuador leaves just a point between the top three heading into the final Group A games on Tuesday.

Three-time finalists the Netherlands and Ecuador know a draw against Qatar and Senegal respectively will see them through to the last 16.

Group B

_127787441_-e933a082-32ea-4c5b-ad28-a7fb5b2f89fe.jpg

England missed the chance to seal a last-16 spot with a game to spare as they were held to a scoreless draw by the USA.

It means that all four teams still have a chance of reaching the next round going into the final group games.

England are in the strongest position with four points from two games and Southgate's side will advance if they avoid a four-goal defeat by Wales on Tuesday.

A win would guarantee England top spot, but they can still draw and finish top unless Iran beat the USA or the USA beat Iran by at least four goals. England will also finish top if Iran and the USA draw and they don't lose to Wales by four or more goals.

Wales still have a chance of reaching the last 16 despite losing to Iran on Friday. To qualify, Wales must beat England and hope for a draw between the United States and Iran.

If the USA-Iran match does not end in a draw, Wales must beat England by four goals to advance.

The United States must win to progress, while Iran will go through with a draw unless Wales beat England.

How is qualification decided?​

If teams are level on points after the three group games, progress is decided by goal difference. The full tiebreaker criteria is:

1. Points accrued
  2. Goal difference
  3. Goals scored
  4. Head-to-head results
  5. Fair play: the team that has accumulated the fewest indiscipline points wins (a yellow card equals one point, a red card shown for two yellows equals three points, a direct red card equals four points and a direct red card shown to a player who was already on a yellow equals five points)
  6. Lots drawn

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Lewandowski scores first World Cup goal as Poland win

Group C

Poland 2-0 Saudi Arabia

9sby4upwodtxbqrw_1669481044.jpeg

Robert Lewandowski scored his first World Cup goal as Poland earned a crucial victory over Saudi Arabia that leaves Group C wide open.

The Barcelona striker capitalised on an error by Saudi Arabia midfielder Abdulelah Al Malki before sending a composed finish past onrushing goalkeeper Mohammed Al Owais.

Lewandowski, who missed a penalty in Tuesday's goalless draw with Mexico, was visibly emotional after ending a run of four World Cup games without finding the net.

Piotr Zielinski had given Poland a first-half lead from Lewandowski's cutback, but Saudi Arabia were awarded a penalty five minutes later for Krystian Bielik's foul on Saleh Al Shehri.

Wojciech Szczesny kept out Salem Al Dawsari's effort before producing a sensational one-handed stop to prevent Mohammed Al Burayk from burying the rebound.

Saud Abdulhamid was denied by Szczesny and Al Brikan shot over the bar in the second half, while Arkadiusz Milik and Lewandowski were both denied by the woodwork as Poland sought to double their lead on the counter-attack.

Lewandowski's late strike ended Saudi Arabia's hopes of building on Tuesday's remarkable victory over Argentina and boosts Poland's chances of reaching the last 16 for the first time since 1986, when they were beaten 4-0 by Brazil in the first knockout round.

Czeslaw Michniewicz's team need just one point against Argentina on Wednesday to qualify from Group C, while Saudi Arabia face Mexico for a place in the last 16.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Duke gives Australia crucial win

Group D

Tunisia 0-1 Australia

2857.jpg

Australia forward Mitchell Duke dedicated his match-winning goal against Tunisia to his son and said it is "a moment I will hold very dear for the rest of my life".

Duke took advantage of a positive start by Australia when he superbly flicked Craig Goodwin's cross into the far corner to put them 1-0 up after 23 minutes.

That sparked an outburst of jubilant celebration from the small contingent of Australia fans behind the goal, which momentarily silenced the hostile and unwavering support for Tunisia.

Knowing defeat would mean an early exit from the World Cup, Australia held on to the narrow lead that keeps alive their hopes of qualifying for the last 16.

"I spoke to my son when I got selected for the World Cup," said Duke.

"You have to have that belief you can score [and] I told my son I would share that moment with him. [The celebration] was a little 'J' for the first letter of his name.

"I haven't seen it yet but apparently he did it back to me in the stadium. It is a moment I will hold very dear for the rest of my life."

Hissed and jeered throughout by striking clusters of fans draped in red at the Al Janoub Stadium, Australia held their nerve to claim their first victory at a World Cup since 2010.

They survived a desperate onslaught from Tunisia in the second half, with Youssef Msakni forcing goalkeeper Mathew Ryan into a save at his near post, though that came moments after Mathew Leckie had come inches away from connecting with Goodwin's cross at the other end.

Stoke City defender Harry Souttar put in a superb performance, making several key blocks and tackles as Australia dug in.

Australia, who suffered a humbling defeat by France in their opening match, will take on tough opponents Denmark next - but with qualification in their own hands.

"At the end of the day, it's just one game. Nothing will change for us," said Australia boss Graham Arnold.

"I told the players I am very proud but we have achieved nothing at this moment. We are here and want to go as far as we can go.

"I don't want emotion from the players - staying up all night looking at social media and all that stuff - I want them to recover and refocus."

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Right. Housework done. It's now time to chill with a nice beer on this Saturday night and watch the mouthwatering Argentina Vs Mexico match which is about to start.

A defeat for Argentina and the two-time World Cup winners are OUT.

Can Messi weave his magic?

90,000 are packed into the Lusail Iconic Stadium just outside the capital Doha and it's a deafening atmosphere. This is what the World Cup is all about. This is the stadium that will host the final.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A bright start from Mexico but Argentina just creeping back into it as we approach half time.

The last time Argentina were knocked out at the Group Stage was at the 2002 World Cup in Japan and South Korea, when they beat Nigeria 1-0, drew 1-1 against Sweden and lost 1-0 against England, thanks to a goal by David Beckham.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
0-0 at half time.

A draw is not enough for Argentina. They need to win. A draw or a defeat and they are out. As things stand they are out.

Argentina need to score in the second half.