Senator who endorsed Charest won’t apologize for comparing Poilievre to Putin

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Yes, well anyone that supports Cherest is only interested in Quebec, not Canada.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Reactions: Taxslave2

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton

Seriously - we have GOT to get away from our politicans behaving like this. It just divides the country.
He's not the only one that wants to defund the CBC and hail to the ones that do!! The CBC should be defunded and made to be a subscription service so that whomever wants to watch it can but not at the expense of others.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
He's not the only one that wants to defund the CBC and hail to the ones that do!! The CBC should be defunded and made to be a subscription service so that whomever wants to watch it can but not at the expense of others.
And there's the difference isn;t it. Putin shut down media - PP simply wants it to stand on it's own two feet. He's talking about de-funding it not turning it off

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Currently there’s only one party (or let’s be more accurate and call it a non-coalition coalition) that wants to shut down dissenting voices (Bills C-10 now C-11, & C-18) & PP isn’t in that party or party to this non-coalition coalition that endorses these Bills.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
What can you say? Dagenais likes authoritarianism. Who else likes state run media? Well let's see; there's China, North Korea, the former Soviet Union, nazi Germany, Imperial Japan.
These are the examples froggy boy wants us to continue following apparently.
Never mind the CBC's fake news/intentional disinformation.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
What can you say? Dagenais likes authoritarianism. Who else likes state run media? Well let's see; there's China, North Korea, the former Soviet Union, nazi Germany, Imperial Japan.
These are the examples froggy boy wants us to continue following apparently.
Never mind the CBC's fake news/intentional disinformation.
There was a time when there was a legitimate need for the CBC and 'state run media'. For generations large hunks of Canada would have had nothing at all as it was not commercially viable to provide services to those areas. And for much of it's history the CBC was much much closer to being a neutral player. In such times I think you could hardly argue against the gov't ensuring access to SOME information and relevant news and programming.

But in this day and age? Where even remote communities have access to the internet and such services are being expanded? Where even if you're living on the top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere you can get a satellite feed and have access to the outside world? And where the broadcaster has given up even trying to pretend to be a neutral and complete source of news?

There really is no justification other than a desire for state control of the media messaging. It's day is done.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
There was a time when there was a legitimate need for the CBC and 'state run media'. For generations large hunks of Canada would have had nothing at all as it was not commercially viable to provide services to those areas. And for much of it's history the CBC was much much closer to being a neutral player. In such times I think you could hardly argue against the gov't ensuring access to SOME information and relevant news and programming.

But in this day and age? Where even remote communities have access to the internet and such services are being expanded? Where even if you're living on the top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere you can get a satellite feed and have access to the outside world? And where the broadcaster has given up even trying to pretend to be a neutral and complete source of news?

There really is no justification other than a desire for state control of the media messaging. It's day is done.
Not according to Friends of CBC and the Liberal Party of Canada , the CBC is the glue that holds the nation together .

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton

Yes, there was a time when the CBC was indeed necessary. I grew up in N. Alberta and the only channel we had for years (when we finally did get a TV from my uncle) was the CBC - that was it. Later CTV came along but that was years later. But you're right that now, we don't need them since we have so many other options that we didn't then.

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016

Internet services may be expanding in Canada, but if gropey gets his way with Bill C-11 the content contained on those services will be strictly regulated and censored. Since the Liberals can't buy off every independent on the internet, there's no other option for them but to censor. CBC on the other hand...truckloads of taxpayers money carries a lot of sway, as does Liberal "media subsidies" for obedient Canadian media outlets.

The fact that a prominent Cherest supporter can't comprehend the difference between Government defunding of media and shutting it down says a lot more about Cherest than it does about Poilievre.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons

Oh, I understand that there was a genuine purpose for publicly funding the CBC. I'm old enough to remember living in places where we only got two TV channels; CBC and CBC French.
But those days are LONG gone and with the CBC having a proven track record of being Liberal party shills and lately even intentionally disinforming Canadians, well they need to go away. And now that I think about it, maybe Dagenais was just tacitly admitting that the CBC would indeed dry up and blow away if it wasn't publicly funded. I have no doubt that killing their public funding would ultimately cause the CBC to disappear. And I say good riddance to bad garbage if it ever comes to that.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Back when I was much younger ,the saying was " you know you are really out in the bush when all you can get is CBC. And you know you have been there too long when you start to like it.