Rogers offers Canada’s fastest, most reliable outages across the country

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Industry minister suggests Rogers outage could weigh on $26-billion Shaw deal
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Publishing date:Jul 15, 2022 • 16 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation

Federal Industry Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne says last week’s massive outage at Rogers Communications Inc. will be on his mind as he weighs the telecom provider’s proposed $26-billion takeover of Shaw Communications Inc.

The Rogers-Shaw transaction already has approval from shareholders and the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, but still needs approval from the Competition Bureau as well as Champagne’s department Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.

Champagne says Friday’s outage, which left more than 12 million Canadians without service, is “going to be on the mind of the different people who need to make a decision.”

His comments come the same day as the deadline for Rogers, Shaw and Quebecor Inc. to reach a definitive agreement on the sale of wireless carrier Freedom Mobile.

Last month, Rogers announced that it would sell Freedom to Quebecor for $2.85 billion in a deal it hopes will appease federal regulators opposed to its proposed takeover of Shaw.

Champagne says he can’t comment on the merits of that proposal but says Canadians want more affordability when it comes to wireless services, and the way to get more affordability is through competition.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
If they didn't create a monopoly, then stop your whining.
^^^^^^^ And speaking of sock worshiping fools.

I don't know what's more abysmal, your pathetic attempts at trolling or your stupendous ability to uncomprehend everything you read.

On top of that, apparently I'm not allowed to "whine" because we basically have a telecomms triopoly but you can create an entire thread to whine about Rogers' outage. A problem that wouldn't have been nearly as a big of a problem if we had MORE than just a telecomms triopoly in Canada.

So we can only blame Rogers in this instance, not successive govts who created the environment for this to happen. Is that what you're trying to say in your own bumbling, feeble-minded way?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

I don't know what's more abysmal, your pathetic attempts at trolling or your stupendous ability to uncomprehend everything you read.

On top of that, apparently I'm not allowed to "whine" because we basically have a telecomms triopoly but you can create an entire thread to whine about Rogers' outage. A problem that wouldn't have been nearly as a big of a problem if we had MORE than just a telecomms triopoly in Canada.

So we can only blame Rogers in this instance, not successive govts who created the environment for this to happen. Is that what you're trying to say in your own bumbling, feeble-minded way?
I think he's saying you can blame Harper, Mulroney and Deifenbaker for it but stay away from those other ones wearing the red tie.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Would you like us to send the Marines? They cleaned up Tripoli once, they can do it again.

From the halls of Montezuma
To the shores of Tripoli
We will fight our country's battles
In the air, on land and sea
First to fight for right and freedom
And to keep our honor clean
We are proud to claim the title of
United States Marines

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
This is leading us to a public alternative. I wouldn't say that it is ideal but it will become a reality if the private sector keeps fucking up.

Reactions: Serryah

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
LOL....The government (any government) fucks up most of what they touch, think this would be different? Give your head a shake.
Yeah, but instead of charging you outrageous fees for inferior service to make money for rich people, a public system would charge you outrageous fees for inferior service to lose money for everybody!

Reactions: harrylee

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Yeah, but instead of charging you outrageous fees for inferior service to make money for rich people, a public system would charge you outrageous fees for inferior service to lose money for everybody!

The first option is worse.

But I think there will be some improvement without having to go to the latter, so we'll see.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Rogers outage relevant to approval of $26B Shaw deal, Competition Tribunal rules
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Publishing date:Aug 29, 2022 • 12 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation

OTTAWA — Canada’s Competition Tribunal has ruled that the Rogers Communications Inc. July 8 service outage is relevant to the upcoming hearings on the telecom giant’s $26-billion takeover of Shaw Communications Inc.

The ruling was made Friday after hearing submissions from Rogers and the Commissioner of Competition on the matter.

The outage affected millions of Canadians, and to make sure it doesn’t happen again, Rogers is committing $10 billion over three years on network upgrades and will spend $150 million on customer credits.

The ruling comes after Rogers released a commercial last week outlining what it is doing to earn back the trust of Canadians.

In a separate court document filed on Aug. 15 and made available to the public Monday, the tribunal says the proposed sale of Shaw-owned wireless carrier Freedom Mobile to Quebecor Inc.’s Videotron Ltd. is not an “effective remedy” as it “fails to eliminate the substantial lessening and prevention of competition” the transaction could cause.

Rogers intends to sell Freedom to Quebecor for $2.85 billion, in the hopes that the move will appease the concerns of federal regulators regarding its proposed takeover of Shaw.