Chilling Videos, Journal Found as Parents Face Scrutiny in Michigan School Shooting

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I don't think they will get a conviction on the parents. Parents always see their kids through rose coloured glasses. To get a conviction I would think they would have to show they knew exactly what he was going to do before they gave him the gun. I think they may have suspected but they may have been blinded by their own view of him. I am also sure that a good defense attorney will also play it that way.

The kid will be found guilty.

• Sad
Reactions: Mowich

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I don't think they will get a conviction on the parents. Parents always see their kids through rose coloured glasses. To get a conviction I would think they would have to show they knew exactly what he was going to do before they gave him the gun. I think they may have suspected but they may have been blinded by their own view of him. I am also sure that a good defense attorney will also play it that way.

They knew.

TWICE the school tried to discuss questionable/concerning behaviour with them.

They obviously ignored it.

500K bond for each; it should be much more than that, or rather, no bond. They're a provable flight risk.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
1. they cared jack SHIT for the warning signs pointing to their little bundle of horror about to commit mass murder.
2. they TOOK OFF.
3. they LIED about turning themselves in.
4. they bought their already knowingly disturbed bundle of horror THE GUN.

This little terrorist shitball mass murdered 4 kids, hurt 8 others, and his parents were part of the process and you're defending them??

Goddamn, go fuck yourself Boom. It's people like you that have this shit keep happening.

CB9AD937-00E4-40D7-BE51-6842CED82850.gif

• Sad

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
1. they cared jack SHIT for the warning signs pointing to their little bundle of horror about to commit mass murder.
2. they TOOK OFF.
3. they LIED about turning themselves in.
4. they bought their already knowingly disturbed bundle of horror THE GUN.

This little terrorist shitball mass murdered 4 kids, hurt 8 others, and his parents were part of the process and you're defending them??

Goddamn, go fuck yourself Boom. It's people like you that have this shit keep happening.
Meh, Boom wants the whole family to walk. Just like he wanted the McMichaels and Bryan to walk.

Ain't no surprise.

Reactions: Serryah

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

The standard for involuntary manslaughter is that if you took an action that led directly to the death of another, you need not have had intent or knowledge. Providing a firearm to a minor or allowing a minor to possess a firearm is a crime in Michigan.

We'll see how it goes.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
The standard for involuntary manslaughter is that if you took an action that led directly to the death of another, you need not have had intent or knowledge. Providing a firearm to a minor or allowing a minor to possess a firearm is a crime in Michigan.

We'll see how it goes.

I'll be interested to see if this does happen, and stands against appeals, and becomes precedent. To be honest, maybe parents DO need to be held accountable for Widdle Johnny's or Jane's issues if they murder people. So that parents elsewhere will start doing stuff for their kids.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

We'll see how it goes.
In the cases of a kid going nutzo after being bullied, would the actions of the bullies not fall under the same category?

As for kids and guns, I take it hunters do not take their kids hunting with them in Michigan?

I think it depends on how "direct" the jury will think the actions are.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
They knew.

TWICE the school tried to discuss questionable/concerning behaviour with them.

They obviously ignored it.

500K bond for each; it should be much more than that, or rather, no bond. They're a provable flight risk.
What was the questionable behavior? If the school had any solid thought that the kid was going to be shooting up the school why was he not immediately expelled and the police involved? I think this was probably calls the little Johnny was not participating in class or something like that. But if it was concerning a shooting type behavior, then the parents are not the avenue to go to. Also the second meeting was on the day of the shooting too. Too little to late. And again the wrong path.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
What was the questionable behavior? If the school had any solid thought that the kid was going to be shooting up the school why was he not immediately expelled and the police involved? I think this was probably calls the little Johnny was not participating in class or something like that. But if it was concerning a shooting type behavior, then the parents are not the avenue to go to. Also the second meeting was on the day of the shooting too. Too little to late. And again the wrong path.

Actually, it WAS about the kid having drawn a scene of people dead from being shot.

The day of the shooting.

Parents aren't the way to go? LOL. Damn well can't get cops involved if they only suspect stuff. That's been tried already and unless there's a 'real threat', they can't do anything. And then there's continual cries from parents about "parent rights!" and parents needing to be involved... well guess we know what happens when they are - nothing.

And no, not defending the school either; they SHOULD have kicked his ass out ASAP and kept him out.

None of that was responsible on the school's part.

But the parents didn't care either since they left and didn't take their kid with them.

Now people are dead because this kid literally wrote "Help me!" and no one listened.

Stop trying to excuse this behaviour. The kid's AND the parents.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
In the cases of a kid going nutzo after being bullied, would the actions of the bullies not fall under the same category?

As for kids and guns, I take it hunters do not take their kids hunting with them in Michigan?

I think it depends on how "direct" the jury will think the actions are.
Actually the law does specify exceptions like hunting and being under adult supervision,

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Parents of Michigan school shooting suspect plead not guilty to manslaughter charges
Author of the article:
Reuters
Reuters
Ted Hesson and Maria Ponnezhath
Publishing date:
Dec 04, 2021 • 7 hours ago • 3 minute read •
78 Comments
Ethan Robert Crumbley, 15, charged with first-degree murder in a high school shooting, poses in a jail booking photograph taken at the Oakland County Jail in Pontiac, Mich., Dec. 1, 2021, in a combination photograph with his parents Jennifer Lynn Crumbley and James Robert Crumbley who were taken into custody Dec. 3, 2021.
Ethan Robert Crumbley, 15, charged with first-degree murder in a high school shooting, poses in a jail booking photograph taken at the Oakland County Jail in Pontiac, Mich., Dec. 1, 2021, in a combination photograph with his parents Jennifer Lynn Crumbley and James Robert Crumbley who were taken into custody Dec. 3, 2021. Photo by Oakland County Sheriff's Office /Handout via REUTERS
Article content

A Michigan judge set bail at $500,000 each for the parents of a teenager accused of murdering four fellow high school students with a weapon the couple bought him as a Christmas gift, after authorities arrested them on Saturday following a manhunt.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

Appearing by videolink from jail for their arraignment, James and Jennifer Crumbley both pleaded not guilty to four counts of involuntary manslaughter.

Oakland County prosecutor Karen McDonald told the hearing the Crumbleys withdrew $4,000 from an ATM while authorities were searching for them and remained a flight risk.

“These are not people that we can be assured will return to court on their own,” she said.
Jennifer Lynn Crumbley and James Robert Crumbley, parents of Oxford High School shooting suspect Ethan Robert Crumbley, 15, appear from Oakland County Jail in Pontiac, Mich., Dec. 4, 2021, during a virtual court hearing on charges of involuntary manslaughter, in this frame grab.
Jennifer Lynn Crumbley and James Robert Crumbley, parents of Oxford High School shooting suspect Ethan Robert Crumbley, 15, appear from Oakland County Jail in Pontiac, Mich., Dec. 4, 2021, during a virtual court hearing on charges of involuntary manslaughter, in this frame grab. Photo by Oakland County Court /Handout via REUTERS

Authorities began searching for the couple after Oakland County prosecutors said on Friday that they would be charged with manslaughter in connection with the campus mass shooting. Prosecutors said the Crumbleys bought the handgun for their son as a Christmas present and then ignored warning signs including on the day of the shooting.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

The Michigan school shooting is only the latest such incident in the United States, where elected officials have sparred over how to make schools safer for children as attacks have grown increasingly common in recent decades.

Judge Julie Nicholson said on Saturday that she had “some concern about the flight risk” posed by the couple after they did not appear for the Friday arraignment.

Two attorneys for the Crumbleys, Shannon Smith and Mariell Lehman, have said the couple never sought to evade authorities.

“Our clients were absolutely going to turn themselves in,” Smith said at Saturday’s hearing. “It was just a matter of logistics.”

Detroit Police Chief James White told reporters in the early hours of Saturday that the couple had been found hiding in a commercial building on the city’s east side. He said they had not broken into the building, but were let in by somebody.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

White said a member of the public spotted their vehicle outside the building.

The couple’s 15-year-old son, Ethan Crumbley, is being held without bail and has been charged as adult on suspicion of carrying out the deadliest U.S. school shooting of 2021 on Tuesday at Oxford High School, about 40 miles (60 km) north of Detroit.

Crumbley’s parents were expected to appear for a Friday afternoon arraignment but stopped responding to calls from their attorneys, according to Oakland County Undersheriff Mike McCabe, prompting a search by the sheriff’s office and U.S. Marshals Service.

During the arraignment, Jennifer Crumbley sobbed as the judge read the names of the students killed in the shooting and related charges.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

The judge set preliminary hearings for Dec. 14 and 22.

Four days before the shooting, Ethan accompanied his father to a gun shop, where James Crumbley bought a 9mm handgun, prosecutors said.

Michigan law prohibits those under 18 years of age from buying or possessing firearms, except in limited circumstances such as hunting with a licence and a supervising adult.

Ethan posted photos of the gun on social media, writing, “Just got my new beauty today” and adding a heart emoji. The next day his mother posted that the two of them were at a gun range “testing out his new Christmas present,” Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald said.

McDonald detailed a number of other warning signs that she said the parents failed to act on.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

On Nov. 21, a teacher found Ethan Crumbley searching for ammunition on his phone and alerted school officials, who left messages for his mother that went unreturned. His mother later texted him, “LOL, I’m not mad at you. You have to learn not to get caught.”

On the morning of the shooting, a teacher discovered drawings by Ethan Crumbley that depicted a handgun, a bullet, and a bleeding figure next to the words “Blood everywhere,” “My life is useless,” and “The thoughts won’t stop – help me.”

Ethan told school counselors the drawings were for a video game he was designing, and that he wanted to pursue video game design as a career, according to a letter that Oxford Community Schools Superintendent Tim Throne sent the school community on Saturday.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

“At no time did counselors believe the student might harm others based on his behaviour, responses and demeanour, which appeared calm,” Throne said in the letter.

School officials summoned the Crumbleys and instructed them to get Ethan into counseling within 48 hours, McDonald said. The parents resisted the idea of taking their son home and did not search his backpack nor ask him about the gun, she said.

Throne said the couple “flatly refused” to leave with their son. Ethan Crumbley was returned to class and later walked out of a bathroom with the gun, killing four students and injuring seven other people, authorities said.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Meh, Boom wants the whole family to walk. Just like he wanted the McMichaels and Bryan to walk.

Ain't no surprise.

eh retard i never said I wanted anyone to walk..

The guys who killed this black guy deserve the death penalty..

But everyone is trying to make this black guy into some saint.. he wasn’t, he had a long criminal history and past B&E’s

As far as what’s going on with this kid and his parents.. don’t have an opinion until the trial, but like the Kyle trial.. some idiot Liberals on this forum already want to lynch them without all the facts.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
eh retard i never said I wanted anyone to walk..

The guys who killed this black guy deserve the death penalty..

But everyone is trying to make this black guy into some saint.. he wasn’t, he had a long criminal history and past B&E’s

As far as what’s going on with this kid and his parents.. don’t have an opinion until the trial, but like the Kyle trial.. some idiot Liberals on this forum already want to lynch them without all the facts.
I read your mind.

That didn't take long.