Abolish Canada's armed forces

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
SMOL: Abolish Canada's armed forces? No, NDP needs to grow up
To completely abrogate a nation's military responsibility ignores the sad reality of international politics in an unstable world

Author of the article:Robert Smol
Publishing date:Apr 10, 2021 • 3 hours ago • 3 minute read • Join the conversation
NDP leader Jagmeet Singh will have to put out the nascent pacifist movement in his party, writes Robert Smol.
NDP leader Jagmeet Singh will have to put out the nascent pacifist movement in his party, writes Robert Smol. PHOTO BY DON MACKINNON /AFP via Getty Images
Article content
At this weekend’s convention my fellow social democrats in the NDP will be faced with a resolution to abolish the Canadian Armed Forces.

That’s right, resolution 04-42-20 states “BE IT RESOLVED THAT an NDP government will commit to phasing out the Canadian Armed Forces.”

If he is truly serious about forming the next government, or opposition, Jagmeet Singh will have to, pardon the expression, carefully cite his (political) artillery in order to take out this nascent pacifist movement in his party.

Otherwise, our national NDP leader, who faithfully carries a weapon as part of his religion, and is reputed to be an ardent and skilled grappler and martial artist, will have considerable political spin on his hands garnering respect for a totally demilitarized Canada in an increasingly unstable world and an ever growing, and increasingly belligerent, Russian military presence in our disputed Arctic region.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.
Article content
But the fact that a serious federal party is actually considering eliminating whatever emasculated military capability and pride Canada has left should serve as a clarion call for this country’s primary social democratic party to break out of its insular, hippy-commune mindset, and grow up.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau looks on during a news conference in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada March 30, 2021.
BONOKOSKI: Justin Trudeau’s guinea pigs respond not so kindly
A photo of Justin Trudeau at West Point Grey Academy's 2001
LILLEY: Feds' anti-racism training deals with political agendas, nothing else
Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan.
TAYLOR: Funding Canada's military reserves will be money well spent

To completely abrogate a nation’s military responsibility ignores the sad reality of international politics in an unstable world where Canada, and its rich and abundant natural resources and potential wealth, is bound to be increasingly coveted by other nations. It ignores the fact that Canada can only benefit as an active and robust member of international alliances where, right or wrong, military force often comes into play.

Nonetheless the same NDP resolution goes on to claim that “militaries and war are an historic institution with no place in modern society.” Maybe I have been living in an alternate universe throughout my military and civilian careers, but exactly where is that “modern society” where a professional military has no place in a nation’s national identity and political framework? Could it be Russia, China, India, Pakistan, the United States, Israel, Saudi Arabia, France, Great Britain, Syria, Turkey, Germany or Iran? Obviously not.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
And, most importantly, it neither applies to the defence capability of the majority of Scandinavian countries, namely Norway, Denmark and Sweden, that have championed traditional social democratic policies, such as free university education, generous parental leave, and pharmacare, just as robustly as they sustain modern, well-equipped militaries.

Here are just a few highlights:

While Canada continues to falter in its commitment to purchase new F-35 fighter aircraft, Denmark and Norway are already acquiring this same aircraft. Sweden, under the left-wing Social Democrats, is replacing its fighter jet fleet with the newest version of the country’s own JAS 39 Gripen, which is also standing as a possible choice for Canada once we move on our fighter jet program. But don’t hold your breath!

And while this country hopelessly continues to stumble and delay in its naval shipbuilding program, Denmark, Sweden and Norway have already modernized, or are close to modernizing, their fleets. Whereas Canada’s sole naval building accomplishment in 25 years has been a small, overpriced, non-combat patrol vessel (HMCS DeWolf), the Scandinavian countries have launched their own array of warships over the last few years. These include, to name only a few, Denmark’s Iver Huitfeldt Air Defence frigates, and the high-tech Visby Stealth Missile corvettes of the Swedish Navy.

And I certainly know where I would place my money should our navy’s newly lumbering single-gun-toting “constabulary” patrol ship come up against any one of the Norwegian Navy’s heavily armed Skjold stealth missile corvettes.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
And, of course, there is the fact that all of the social welfare rich Scandinavian countries, minus Iceland, still impose military conscription. In progressive, egalitarian Norway and Sweden that applies to both men and women!

So while Canada’s NDP can only dream of achieving social policies that are already the norm in many Scandinavian countries, they should also dare themselves to start to dream of how an internationally savvy, politically mature social democratic government could one day govern this country, including its military, Scandinavian-style to the benefit of all.

I know, dream on!

— Robert Smol holds a graduate degree from the Royal Military College of Canada and served in the Canadian Armed Forces for over 20 years. He recently retired from teaching and is working as a paralegal.

rmsmol@gmail.com

• Wow
Reactions: Twin_Moose

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I think the NDP will have to learn the hard way that passivism is NOT a majority held view in the West by a LONG shot, not even in Canada. This "modern world" the leftards keep yammering on about is a fantasy they have in their heads of a world that does not exist. Even the most optimistic, altruistic science fiction, like the original Star Trek universe for example, still demonstrated the NEED for a military and weapons of war.
And as was so pointedly, uh, pointed out, even the most progressive European countries have militaries that put ours to shame, equipment-wise and manpower-wise. Hell, even the tulip growers' military is superior to ours and we liberated them once upon a time ago.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I think the NDP will have to learn the hard way that passivism is NOT a majority held view in the West by a LONG shot, not even in Canada. This "modern world" the leftards keep yammering on about is a fantasy they have in their heads of a world that does not exist. Even the most optimistic, altruistic science fiction, like the original Star Trek universe for example, still demonstrated the NEED for a military and weapons of war.
And as was so pointedly, uh, pointed out, even the most progressive European countries have militaries that put ours to shame, equipment-wise and manpower-wise. Hell, even the tulip growers' military is superior to ours and we liberated them once upon a time ago.

You beat the Irish Air Force: it's got 20 planes.

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
Abolish Canada’s armed forces? No doubt one of the most ludicrous proposals in the history of the country. Same for defunding the police.

These proposals are so far-fetched that no one with half a mind could take them seriously.

Reactions: taxslave

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
You beat the Irish Air Force: it's got 20 planes.
Well, it's for dam sure that old man and young punk kid comrade Trudeau's never did like having a Canadian military around. Btw, I wonder as to how many air force jets does Canada have anyways? Just wondering.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Every time I hear/see this BS, my reaction is the same:

Fuck off.

We need MORE and BETTER military, not less.

What our Country should be doing is investing in national programs and national companies to make what we need; screw getting second hand overseas BS. Develop at home.

I hate how little our military is regarded by people - not outside of Canada, but inside - and it's not just on duty people, but vets too.

They sign up, they do their contracts, they get taken care of for the rest of their life because of the shit 'we' put them through.

The entire situation is a clusterfuck that gets worse, not better, no matter who is in charge.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Every time I hear/see this BS, my reaction is the same:

Fuck off.

We need MORE and BETTER military, not less.

What our Country should be doing is investing in national programs and national companies to make what we need; screw getting second hand overseas BS. Develop at home.

I hate how little our military is regarded by people - not outside of Canada, but inside - and it's not just on duty people, but vets too.

They sign up, they do their contracts, they get taken care of for the rest of their life because of the shit 'we' put them through.

The entire situation is a clusterfuck that gets worse, not better, no matter who is in charge.
The military could do such a much better job and nothing is made in Canada. Best they stick to ice storms and floods. Occasional Toronto snow storms.

Just another department that answers to no one and thinks they are above the law. Former commanders with sex fetishes seems to be par for the course. Coincidence or learned behavior?

The only operations taking place occur in foreign lands. The only thing they do in Canada is practice. There is zero military presence in my area.

Once again it is a government department that has become all about the jobs

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Abolish Canada’s armed forces? No doubt one of the most ludicrous proposals in the history of the country. Same for defunding the police.

These proposals are so far-fetched that no one with half a mind could take them seriously.
Which means the loony left will be all over it.

Reactions: no color

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Singh taking up Trudie's vision of hiring the Chinese army to protect our nation from countries like China?
Is that why the Chinese were so interested in purchasing the mine up north? Where infrastructure is already there for the most-part and they could easily send troops to live there. I hope and pray that the NDP never get into power; it's bad enough that we have the Liberals who seem to worship the Chinese Communist Party. Canadians really do need to wake up and start making demands & ensuring our politicians are held accountable for their actions.