Voter Suppression

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I'm sure you know that in Canada they get your name and address from fro CRA "Canadian Revenue Agency" to send you voters cards.....

You don't work and pay income tax.............You don't get to vote! :p

Just kidding....
It's only one of the ways they get your name and adress
But you still need a photo ID

Reactions: Twin_Moose

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Wouldn't a better solution be to work to make sure those people who are currently without id get id? Assuming they are legal residents that shouldn't be a monumental challenge. I don't see any issue with showing id when I vote. It's not like they are asking for a notarized letter from 3 people who know you. A simple id check shouldn't be a big deal.
Sure would. But. . .

1. There are no national elections in the United States. ALL elections are state elections.

2. States with Republican-majority legislatures resist the idea of getting everyone valid ID, because their favorite method of voter suppression is to mess with ID requirements.

3. I don't see a problem with showing ID to vote either, though it's not necessary. But the problem is the form of ID they require. That's where there's endless opportunity to screw around, as I've already demonstrated.

Here's the deal. You prove your eligibility to vote at registration, not at the polls. At the polls the only question is "Is the person in front of me who he says he is?" Any state-issued photo ID should prove that. But as I've demonstrated, Texass, as an example, refuses to accept photo ID that Texass has issued if it's in a class of ID holders (like students) who skew Democratic.

This is the problem. The Right does not believe in democracy. It does not believe in a free vote and a fair count. It believes in winning, by fair means or foul. And lying about it. That's why I can't be bothered to engage the Righties here on the subject. They'll just lie.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Sure would. But. . .

1. There are no national elections in the United States. ALL elections are state elections.

2. States with Republican-majority legislatures resist the idea of getting everyone valid ID, because their favorite method of voter suppression is to mess with ID requirements.

3. I don't see a problem with showing ID to vote either, though it's not necessary. But the problem is the form of ID they require. That's where there's endless opportunity to screw around, as I've already demonstrated.

Here's the deal. You prove your eligibility to vote at registration, not at the polls. At the polls the only question is "Is the person in front of me who he says he is?" Any state-issued photo ID should prove that. But as I've demonstrated, Texass, as an example, refuses to accept photo ID that Texass has issued if it's in a class of ID holders (like students) who skew Democratic.

This is the problem. The Right does not believe in democracy. It does not believe in a free vote and a fair count. It believes in winning, by fair means or foul. And lying about it. That's why I can't be bothered to engage the Righties here on the subject. They'll just lie.

In Canada, even if you are not on the list, you can be added at the polls. ID is required for that. Is the same not true in US elections? If you need to be on the list, then I agree, any reasonable photo ID showing you are who you say you are should be fine. There is no excuse for cherry picking IDs (membership in the Superman fan club may not count however). If you are being added to the list, proof of citizenship should also be required.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
In Canada, even if you are not on the list, you can be added at the polls. ID is required for that. Is the same not true in US elections? If you need to be on the list, then I agree, any reasonable photo ID showing you are who you say you are should be fine. There is no excuse for cherry picking IDs (membership in the Superman fan club may not count however). If you are being added to the list, proof of citizenship should also be required.
In Canada all you need is something that has your name and address such as a library card or power bill or someone can vouch for you.Homeless can get a note from a shelter.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
There was one last year.
Nope. There were 50 simultaneous state elections, each run by the state in accordance with the procedures established by the state legislature.

1. All senators are elected to represent states.
2. No Congressional representative district crosses a state line.
3. The Electors of the Electoral College are selected by each individual state. "The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same Term, be elected, as follows. . . Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors. . ." U.S. Const., Art. II, sec. 2.

Reactions: Serryah

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Agreed, and as I said, in U.S. states, eligibility to vote is proven at registration, not at the polls (citizenship, age, criminal record, &c.).

One of the measures the Republicans fight fiercely is at-the-polls registration.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
It's just a coincidence that those most likely to be without government issued ID are also those least likely to vote Republican, and that all the states where it is currently compulsory to show government ID to vote are Republican states.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC

Here's a dramatization of this issue in a clip from the HBO series "The Newsroom". If you haven't seen the series yet it's well worth looking. It didn't last long, 25 episodes in all over three seasons, but it's very well written and very entertaining. Lots of clips on YouTube if you want a taste.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It's just a coincidence that those most likely to be without government issued ID are also those least likely to vote Republican, and that all the states where it is currently compulsory to show government ID to vote are Republican states.
Of course! Republicans would NEVER try to keep an eligible citizen from voting!

That would be betrayal of democracy!

Reactions: Serryah

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Much of the brouhaha centers around what forms of ID are acceptable for voting.

Funny part is, way back in the Clinton administration, they proposed a national ID card.

The Reichpubliklans stroked. . . the. . . fuck. . . out. Eventually, the administration implemented RealID, and made it voluntary for the states to participate or not.

Fast-forward ten years or so, and the Reichpubliklans were screaming for "more secure ID." Now ReadID is mandatory for driving licenses and state-issued ID cards. Still working on a national ID.

Reichpubliklans are brain-damaged
Yes, but you're not the States of 'Murica where if you have no ID, then you obviously are a Commie Nazi Fascist trying to Fake the Election!
And why wouldn't anyone have ID? Most people do so what's the big deal? Too much bruhaha about nothing.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
My Ex - who lived in Iowa - never had a birth certificate until she was in her 20's. No passport either. Depending on the state you live, they have different voter ID requirements.

Also:

Some of these have changed I'm sure since they were written, but it still is a huge issue in the States. That's why the whole voter ID laws cause such an issue every damned voting year.
It weird that even lawyers couldn't find the documentation to prove this gentleman's name change. Did it actually happen?

When my mom re-married, my sister was 4 years old. She didn't bother with a name change - she simply changed it to be what her new hubby's name was and she uses it to this day, even thought it's not "legally" her last name. When I inquired about it I was told that she could continue to use it as long as she was not using it for fraudulent purposes. Since she isn't, we didn't bother to change it back to her legal last name. So, there are no records because my mom didn't change it legally.

Perhaps this man was misinformed - that the name change wasn't done "legally" and he's assuming it was? Who knows? I don't and neither does anyone else I suspect.