CFL 2021

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Curious given the 75% of CFL players headed for free agency who would be the first pick if they turned it into a hockey pool type process. Salary management would need to be considered. Might be interesting to see how smart the GM's really are.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
If I were Calgary I would try to sign Micah Johnson. If I were Winnipeg I would go after Sol Elimimian. Assuming both are interested in continuing to play.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
The one year they come up with a good schedule and the season gets cancelled and then they do another one that has Toronto play Hamilton 4 times in 5 weeks to start the year. Two are exhibition games. Full season ticket pricing for all.

As long as TSN is happy is my guess.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Thinking that the CFL is really only a division of TSN and Bell Media who had revenue of $3.25 Billion in 2019.

Nice for them to have the CFL locked up on all internet, television, and radio rights for the next 6 years at $50 million per year. Lets focus on the globals Randy.

CFL thinks they need to squeeze the players when they should have made a proper deal but it's all about revenue and profit. Players have no other options.

Blue jays with their convoluted ownership structure with Rogers gets 37 million on its own.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Bombers mailing in a $115,000 contract for Adam Bighill tells me nothing has changed. Side job is shaking hands for husband of the Bomber Chairman of the Board Dana Spiring. Could be a coincidence.

What is good for one is good for all so then all teams do it. So who really cares if there are no real rules. Becomes like watching Lance Armstrong win the Tour de France.

CFL will tell you they are going on 120 years but really the new era started when BC joined the league 60 years ago. I very much doubt they will make 150 years never mind 200.

That said, very much looking forward to seeing them back on the field this year.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
NFL collective agreement and television rights are up for renegotiation in 2022.

Realize the CFL is not the NFL but $2 billion for only Monday night (20 games?) maybe going to $3 compared to $50 million for the entire radio, television, and internet broadcasting rights for an entire season of 180 games is way out of whack one way or the other. CFL television contract could easily be 10 x higher if it wasn't for the fact the Chairman of the CFL board of Directors works for Bell Media.

"Rates on Sunday afternoon games may double, jumping from $1 billion annually to $2 billion annually. ESPN pays $2 billion annually for Monday Night Football and may need to pay $3 billion to keep the package, two of the people said. Renewals will likely be seven or eight-year deals, the people said."

• Wow
Reactions: petros

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
TSN stepping up once again and cutting radio stations in Vancouver, Winnipeg and Hamilton. I don't see how this helps the CFL. Of course they hold exclusive radio rights that they can sell.

Big surprise announcement with 30 minutes notice to grab personal possessions sounds cool as well.

Bell Media booked revenue of $3.25 billion last annual reporting period and just got a $600 million shot in the arm from the government to launch low earth satellites

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Nobody watches CFL in Vancouver. An NFL team would thrive though.
I don't get that and can't believe there are not bus loads of Seattle fans taking advantage of the cheap dollar and the great entertainment.

Problem I see in Vancouver is with Pavco being in charge and no real interest in the game except for putting in their time for the pension. The city loves the economic impact but won't commit to supporting it. Pavco needs revenue to substantiate their jobs

Many good fans in Van as well but why bother going to the game when you can watch it from home and save a couple hundred bucks. TSN prefers it that way.

Make it fan friendly and you could see a return to the big crowds they used to bring in. Personally feel they went the wrong way with Rick Campbell and think they will be in for a long year. Doing a good job of spending Braley's money though.

Reactions: petros

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Nobody watches CFL in Vancouver. An NFL team would thrive though.
Nobody goes to the football games in Vancouver. I think there are plenty of fans that follow the team.

Lions are the oldest pro sports franchise in BC I believe. Going on 60 years.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Interesting news with the CFL and XFL chatting. Assuming a combined league would warrant a television deal at least 10% of the NFL. More than double the current CFL deal. Not sure this will be good for players.

Whole thing with the CFL is the sweetheart deal and working arrangement with TSN and Bell Media. CFL has no money but Bell has lots.

Personally not in favour of more rich owners or team presidents. It's a game. Pay the players who play.