Gunman opens fire at U.S. church, kills two

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Stomping your feet and repeating yourself doesn't make something right..... if that was the case, imagine what the world would be like based on how often I end up repeating myself.

No, society is to better humans as a collective, and rights given to individuals in a society are given to all in that society so that everything is equal. But if that society feels there is need for change, and the majority agree change is needed, then change will happen.

If what you claim was true, then Bush couldn't have possibly gotten away with everything he did, such as the Patriot Act, phone/internet tapping, etc. as his decisions stomped all over those rights you are trying to defend.

And if one man can toss away those rights, I'm pretty sure an entire population can do the same.

Looking at a practical standpoint,

He can take away rights because he can send men with guns to your house to change the rules.

In the US, that would be hard for non-gun owners to do against gun owners.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
So? Since when is it wrong to kill things?

I eat bacon, and hamburgers, and steak.

Hell, I eat Corn too, all of those things involve killing.

Ffs, seriously come off it.... the laws for killing things generally cover the killing of other humans, not for the killing of food. Unless you plan on killing other humans and eating them as part of your religious practice, the laws still apply.

And I am not talking about hunting.... I'm talking about killing other humans.

And you're still going on the basis that I want all firearms banned, and removed completely, which I don't..... get it fk'n right will you? Your blakc and white mentality on this debate is seriously slowing it's progression, as I have to continually repeat crap which was already clarified.

So what is your problem with me having something that is meant for killing? Are you assuming that I am going to use it to kill people?

That's the basic argument.... not very complicated.

They aren't designed to kill people.

They are designed to kill in general, what you kill with them is subjective.

Add to that, with guns that are meant to kill people, no one minded when I was given a C7. And yes, training, I know, good for them. Im all for lisencing guns in the same ways as driving (no lisence, keep to your own property)

In the end this boils down to pre-emptive wrong doing. Do you have a right to tell me to stop doing something, anything (doesn't matter what), that isn't a harm to anyone based on the assumption that I may in the future may commit a crime and be aided by that action.

People get background checks when they're applying for work that relates to the caring of children or the elderly to make sure they have low chances of abusing their authority. Issuing a weapon to someone is a level of issuing authority..... all I would like to see is that there is some form of regulating who gets that authority. And I'm not talking about a process that screens people based on their beliefs, which government they approve, or otherwise.... I'm talking about general risks to their fellow citizen if given a weapon.

Is it right to ban Martial Arts? Push comes to shove and if you bulldoze the self defence claims with the same lack of semantics (which is fine btw) you do guns. Martial arts is just training for how to injure and possibley kill another human being with your bare hands.

And unless you plan on chopping everybody's hands and feet off, you can not regulate what someone knows how to do with their.... as they say, "God Given" body. Apparently people claim firearms are a "God Given" right to have..... yet God didn't make them.... other humans did. Defending yourself with what you were born with, is the basic rights (If there is such a thing) that every human, every animal, every living creature on this planet has which can not be taken away.

You're trying to compare knowlege and ability to the possesion of an inanimate object that is designed to kill.

Unlike guns, Martial arts don't even have a use against animals. They are ONLY for use on human beings.

Hand to hand combat and other fighting arts can be used against anything you wish.... the sucess rate of that ability depends on the situation at hand and your target.

The same arguements you use about "waiting for a cop" still apply, the same arguements about how unlikely it is you'll be assaulted still apply.

Being someone who was jumped by 5 drunken teenaged punks a couple of years ago, I know what it means to "Wait for a Cop" However by your argument, I should have had a gun to shoot them all with before the police arrived, rather then doing what I did that got me out of the situation, got them arrested, charged, and in the end, they got busted up a lot worse then I did...... and I didn't even have my knife with me.... let alone a gun.

Oh, and everybody lived to see another day, life goes on..... guns are unecissary unless you're hunting food or in a war zone..... and I suppose based on the number of dead each day from gun related crimes in the US.... it is a war zone down there.

So then it comes down to why wouldn't you ban martial arts? Is it due to the danger they can cause others? (a rifle versus your fist). If so, thats fair..but then what is the line? Rather than just saying "Ban guns, because they are bad" say "Because they are dangerous to this standard, guns are banned as are anything else shown to be equally or more dangerous".

Martial Arts is knowlege of what you can do with your body to defend yourself against whatever may come your way..... a gun, a knife, a bomb, a tank, a missle, are all weapons which are extensions beyond the human mind and body.... they can be removed from the access of the body..... unless you wish to start cutting off limbs of people and becoming thought police to make sure people can learn new things that they can do with what they were born with, then there is no logic in banning martial arts, or any other hand to hand combat training.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Actually the thread is about a church shooting, not gun ownership.

If you think banning guns will cut down on gun crime, surely you can see how banning cars will cut down on car crime, alot.

If only professionals operate vehicles, our city streets would be alot less busy, less polluted and safer.

If banning guns stops gun deaths, banning cars will stop car deaths.
But cars have a legitimate use for the public, guns do not...

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Ffs, seriously come off it.... the laws for killing things generally cover the killing of other humans, not for the killing of food. Unless you plan on killing other humans and eating them as part of your religious practice, the laws still apply.

And I am not talking about hunting.... I'm talking about killing other humans.

And you're still going on the basis that I want all firearms banned, and removed completely, which I don't..... get it fk'n right will you? Your blakc and white mentality on this debate is seriously slowing it's progression, as I have to continually repeat crap which was already clarified.

Quote: So what is your problem with me having something that is meant for killing? Are you assuming that I am going to use it to kill people?
That's the basic argument.... not very complicated.

Quote: They aren't designed to kill people.
They are designed to kill in general, what you kill with them is subjective.

Quote: Add to that, with guns that are meant to kill people, no one minded when I was given a C7. And yes, training, I know, good for them. Im all for lisencing guns in the same ways as driving (no lisence, keep to your own property)

In the end this boils down to pre-emptive wrong doing. Do you have a right to tell me to stop doing something, anything (doesn't matter what), that isn't a harm to anyone based on the assumption that I may in the future may commit a crime and be aided by that action.
People get background checks when they're applying for work that relates to the caring of children or the elderly to make sure they have low chances of abusing their authority. Issuing a weapon to someone is a level of issuing authority..... all I would like to see is that there is some form of regulating who gets that authority. And I'm not talking about a process that screens people based on their beliefs, which government they approve, or otherwise.... I'm talking about general risks to their fellow citizen if given a weapon.

Quote: Is it right to ban Martial Arts? Push comes to shove and if you bulldoze the self defence claims with the same lack of semantics (which is fine btw) you do guns. Martial arts is just training for how to injure and possibley kill another human being with your bare hands.
And unless you plan on chopping everybody's hands and feet off, you can not regulate what someone knows how to do with their.... as they say, "God Given" body. Apparently people claim firearms are a "God Given" right to have..... yet God didn't make them.... other humans did. Defending yourself with what you were born with, is the basic rights (If there is such a thing) that every human, every animal, every living creature on this planet has which can not be taken away.

You're trying to compare knowlege and ability to the possesion of an inanimate object that is designed to kill.

Quote: Unlike guns, Martial arts don't even have a use against animals. They are ONLY for use on human beings.
Hand to hand combat and other fighting arts can be used against anything you wish.... the sucess rate of that ability depends on the situation at hand and your target.

Quote: The same arguements you use about "waiting for a cop" still apply, the same arguements about how unlikely it is you'll be assaulted still apply.
Being someone who was jumped by 5 drunken teenaged punks a couple of years ago, I know what it means to "Wait for a Cop" However by your argument, I should have had a gun to shoot them all with before the police arrived, rather then doing what I did that got me out of the situation, got them arrested, charged, and in the end, they got busted up a lot worse then I did...... and I didn't even have my knife with me.... let alone a gun.

Oh, and everybody lived to see another day, life goes on..... guns are unecissary unless you're hunting food or in a war zone..... and I suppose based on the number of dead each day from gun related crimes in the US.... it is a war zone down there.

Quote: So then it comes down to why wouldn't you ban martial arts? Is it due to the danger they can cause others? (a rifle versus your fist). If so, thats fair..but then what is the line? Rather than just saying "Ban guns, because they are bad" say "Because they are dangerous to this standard, guns are banned as are anything else shown to be equally or more dangerous".
Martial Arts is knowlege of what you can do with your body to defend yourself against whatever may come your way..... a gun, a knife, a bomb, a tank, a missle, are all weapons which are extensions beyond the human mind and body.... they can be removed from the access of the body..... unless you wish to start cutting off limbs of people and becoming thought police to make sure people can learn new things that they can do with what they were born with, then there is no logic in banning martial arts, or any other hand to hand combat training.
wow So much flipflopping all in the same post.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
You can't define the parameters of the debate simply to suit your own argument.

Sure I can.

For one thing, I created the topic. Secondly, I started the topic with "Seems like there's almost one mass shooting per week down in the US these days." Which I was using to direct the debate into the gun control argument. People are free to debate the article which was originally used, or they can debate about the concept of gun control.... which was the whole point to begin with.

When you create a thread and start a topic, I will stick to what you wish to follow, that's how it works. There's no point in creating a topic to debate if nobody is going to stick to it.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Actually the thread is about a church shooting, not gun ownership.

See previous post explaining.

If you think banning guns will cut down on gun crime, surely you can see how banning cars will cut down on car crime, alot.

Good, then ban cars. I don't have one, so I couldn't care less..... moving on.

If only professionals operate vehicles, our city streets would be alot less busy, less polluted and safer.

If banning guns stops gun deaths, banning cars will stop car deaths.

Good then that's the way it should be. If people are willing to ban/restrict guns so long as vehicle usage is banned/restricted, then that seems fair.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
They're explosives ... and the Jeep and Hummer both have military purpose - carrying people into battle so they can KILL. You can't steer a debate Pax....

#1 - "A firework is classified as a low explosive pyrotechnic device used primarily for aesthetic and entertainment purposes."

#2 - Jeeps and Hummers are not the things directly causing death and are still being used by their intended purposes.... transportation. My position still stands.

#3 - The debate can't be steered, because you can't seem to focus on more then one thing and easily distracted by petty, irrelevent side arguments.

#4 - I'm still right.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
#1 - "A firework is classified as a low explosive pyrotechnic device used primarily for aesthetic and entertainment purposes."

#2 - Jeeps and Hummers are not the things directly causing death and are still being used by their intended purposes.... transportation. My position still stands.

#3 - The debate can't be steered, because you can't seem to focus on more then one thing and easily distracted by petty, irrelevent side arguments.

#4 - I'm still right.

M-kay Pax.... We know. You're always right. Just ask you. You'll tell us.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Looking at a practical standpoint,

He can take away rights because he can send men with guns to your house to change the rules.

In the US, that would be hard for non-gun owners to do against gun owners.

As seen in many other countries.... or anywhere for that matter, if a weapon is needed, there is a method of obtaining that weapon.

And in case of an emergency, such as oppression or an invasion of your country, I don't see why the right to bear arms can't be allowed, as that would be an extreme case of it's requirement and justification. Perhaps I could even agree to citizens being allowed to own firearms while your nation has declaired war..... but all other times, I see no practical reason for the right to bear arms to be available, when the majority use and abuse that right to terrorize their fellow citizens.

As mentioned before, I'm not for a total outright ban..... just some form of control to reduce the chances of death and violence.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Yeah.... Don'cha just love these control for control battles? Fits the theme perfectly because the shooter wanted to write the rules too....

Use your brain will you? You can't debate a paticular topic if you're going to run off on retarded debates of banning other things which don't matter to the original topic, plain and simple. Before you know it, you're on several pages of debating nothing that the debate was originally about. I don't have an issue with going off the beaten path to argue one or two things, so long as it goes back to the original topic.

Excuse me all to hell for not liking hi-jacked threads.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
As seen in many other countries.... or anywhere for that matter, if a weapon is needed, there is a method of obtaining that weapon.

And in case of an emergency, such as oppression or an invasion of your country, I don't see why the right to bear arms can't be allowed, as that would be an extreme case of it's requirement and justification. Perhaps I could even agree to citizens being allowed to own firearms while your nation has declaired war..... but all other times, I see no practical reason for the right to bear arms to be available, when the majority use and abuse that right to terrorize their fellow citizens.

As mentioned before, I'm not for a total outright ban..... just some form of control to reduce the chances of death and violence.

1. ) Oppression: Why would an oppressive regime lift a ban on guns?

In fairness, the right to bear arms is about opposing the domestic, not a foreign, government. Thats how the US rolls since day 1, I don't see why they would change it now.

2.) the Majority: Its a tiny minority. Tiny, Tiny minority. Fewer legal gun owners use a gun to kill a person, than legal car owners use their car to kill a person.

There is this false image of people running around the US inner cities firing their guns in the air like a wedding in Afghanistan all day long.

Its not there.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Use your brain will you? You can't debate a paticular topic if you're going to run off on retarded debates of banning other things which don't matter to the original topic, plain and simple. Before you know it, you're on several pages of debating nothing that the debate was originally about. I don't have an issue with going off the beaten path to argue one or two things, so long as it goes back to the original topic.

Then why are you debating gun ownership in a thread about a church tragedy?

The sentiment is nice, but you kinda lose the moral high ground when your debating the topic that originally hi-jacked the thread.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

umm.... the thread is about a person who shot because he didn't like how the church was doing things. If you really believe you maintain ownership of a thread simply because you are the poster who originated it, then go start your own site.

Congratulations, JERK.... You hijacked your "own" thread....

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
M-kay Pax.... We know. You're always right. Just ask you. You'll tell us.

#1 - Fireworks: your comment confirmed my explination, therefore I was still right.

#2 - Jeeps and Hummers: your comment confirmed my explination, therefore I was still right.

#3 - You're lack of concentration and keeping topics on track: Your above comment I just quoted to create this post confirms my above statement and your lack of ability to stay on track.....

Hince, I'm still right.

Keep playing the game why don't you. You can keep on trying to side track the argument, you can keep trying to throw petty insults and comments about my own posting in this thread, but none of it helps your side of the argument, and your lack of ability to do so only proves my point more so.

I'm so terribly sorry that I haven't been able to help fuel your long straw examples that don't relate to the original topic at hand.... since that's the typical response from anybody who defends the right to bear arms.....

You start to argue your side of the argument, and then when it gets tough, you try and side track the argument to avoid the issues at hand.... then when that doesn't work you complain the debate is being controlled.

I'd certainly hate to see how half of you would handle yourselves at the old forums I used to goto, which was a lot more strict on how far off topic you were allowed to go.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
#1 - Fireworks: your comment confirmed my explination, therefore I was still right.

#2 - Jeeps and Hummers: your comment confirmed my explination, therefore I was still right.

#3 - You're lack of concentration and keeping topics on track: Your above comment I just quoted to create this post confirms my above statement and your lack of ability to stay on track.....

Hince, I'm still right.

Keep playing the game why don't you. You can keep on trying to side track the argument, you can keep trying to throw petty insults and comments about my own posting in this thread, but none of it helps your side of the argument, and your lack of ability to do so only proves my point more so.

I'm so terribly sorry that I haven't been able to help fuel your long straw examples that don't relate to the original topic at hand.... since that's the typical response from anybody who defends the right to bear arms.....

You start to argue your side of the argument, and then when it gets tough, you try and side track the argument to avoid the issues at hand.... then when that doesn't work you complain the debate is being controlled.

I'd certainly hate to see how half of you would handle yourselves at the old forums I used to goto, which was a lot more strict on how far off topic you were allowed to go.

Why don't you just go back to those "old forums" ... or did they tell you to screw off too?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Then why are you debating gun ownership in a thread about a church tragedy?

Here, I'll make it a bit more simpler for you:

"While it's so easy to go off course when discussing something, we ask that you try to keep it to a minimum. While it's ok to make a quick remark that's off topic in the thread, we ask that you keep it as a secondary point to your reply post. Feel free to create a new thread if you want to discuss something else, but try to keep people's threads clean and ontopic."
.. Andem

My comments starting this thread wasn't about "Oh poor people getting shot" it was directly towards how often this sort of thing continually happens, why and how to prevent it. If you couldn't figure this out on your own in post #1, then you clearly haven't seen the slew of other threads I have started to do this to in older examples, only for it to be side-tracked to something totally different, very much like what you are trying to do.

The sentiment is nice, but you kinda lose the moral high ground when your debating the topic that originally hi-jacked the thread.

The thread never began until I started it and I created it.... get your sh*t together will you.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
umm.... the thread is about a person who shot because he didn't like how the church was doing things. If you really believe you maintain ownership of a thread simply because you are the poster who originated it, then go start your own site.

Congratulations, JERK.... You hijacked your "own" thread....

And I'll direct your narrow minded ass to this as well:

"While it's so easy to go off course when discussing something, we ask that you try to keep it to a minimum. While it's ok to make a quick remark that's off topic in the thread, we ask that you keep it as a secondary point to your reply post. Feel free to create a new thread if you want to discuss something else, but try to keep people's threads clean and ontopic."
.. Andem

And if you want to start pushing things to the next level with petty insults by calling me a jerk, don't think I'll hessitate to follow.....