Coffee

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
A great documentary on this week about Coffee. Broadcast on TVO here in Toronto, it's a rich and lavish view of Coffee from it's start in Ethiopia and marking it's journey throughout the world and history. Only oil has it over coffee and many an uprising, coup, revolution has sprouted out of the fertile grounds left from it's brewing.

This place is very much like a cafe as a public meeting place were people might have a coffee and talk about politics of the day or other interests. So it is that the revelation of the Internet and to be much more specific, this little aspect of it here, has been going on in some form for centuries.

So if you enjoy the bean as much as I and find some interest in the history that has been built around this wonderful thing, check it out on TVO at 8PM EST.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
It's the same story as every touch of the American merchantile attitude. While Starbucks and Tim Hortons sell coffee at enormous profits and the consumer is shelling out large for coffee at the supermarket....the people harvesting the coffee are paid pennies a day....

Very American dontcha know.... maintain a sub-class for profitability then whine and complain when your troops are coming home in body-bags....

Just more of the same....

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
It's the same story as every touch of the American merchantile attitude. While Starbucks and Tim Hortons sell coffee at enormous profits and the consumer is shelling out large for coffee at the supermarket....the people harvesting the coffee are paid pennies a day....

Very American dontcha know.... maintain a sub-class for profitability then whine and complain when your troops are coming home in body-bags....

how do you feel about fairtrade coffee mikey?

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

This is called 'The Walmart Syndrome'

Toro

Senate Member
There was a really good coffee exhibit at the University of Florida a few years back along with a chocolate exhibit. I found it really fascinating. I didn't know that originally, chocolate was a drink, not a solid, and that it was bitter, not sweet. Eventually, however, chocolate was displaced in London by coffee as the recreational beverage of choice, and the coffee house eventually replaced the chocolate house.

I stopped drinking coffee a few months ago, though. I sure miss it. It gave me too many highs and lows and was bad for my heartburn.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
There was a really good coffee exhibit at the University of Florida a few years back along with a chocolate exhibit. I found it really fascinating. I didn't know that originally, chocolate was a drink, not a solid, and that it was bitter, not sweet. Eventually, however, chocolate was displaced in London by coffee as the recreational beverage of choice, and the coffee house eventually replaced the chocolate house.

I stopped drinking coffee a few months ago, though. I sure miss it. It gave me too many highs and lows and was bad for my heartburn.

I think it is a most widly used drug ever isn't it?

It's been outlawed and blamed for the downfall of society many times. I love how as often as it is banned, it over throws governments and as tasty as well as social it is, it's tied up with the displays of our worst qualities.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands

Yeah, I only learned that after meeting my wife, who is Italian. Over here it is still widely drunk. I can't stand it personally...

The smart farmers start producing coca. Heck Argentina might even legalize coca, not cocaine, and don't anyone even try to say its the same. Anyways, the current president of Argentina rose to power by farming coca. Hopefully the European descended elite in the country don't try to fund a coup with US endorsement like they did in Venezuela. Its been a while so it probably won't happen, but hey maybe they can jack up our coffee prices, or at least take a bite out of corporate profits. :)

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Speaking of which, does anyone know what real moka is? I am about to make some. There is no chocolate in it!

Guessing here but it's either a specific bean that lends itself nicely to espresso or an Italian word for a type of espresso maker. Translation leaves this just as confusing.

I don't think it has anything to do with Mocha. Wiki talks about it being the way espresso is made thoughout Italy and that it has 5 main parts. So I'm guessing that it's the maker itself rather than the stuff in it.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Guessing here but it's either a specific bean that lends itself nicely to espresso or an Italian word for a type of espresso maker. Translation leaves this just as confusing.

I don't think it has anything to do with Mocha. Wiki talks about it being the way espresso is made thoughout Italy and that it has 5 main parts. So I'm guessing that it's the maker itself rather than the stuff in it.

Yeah, the machine and the coffee it makes are sometimes called the same thing. Its basically a stove top espresso maker. And if you forget the little screen and its ring seal... man that frigging sucks, let me tell you. Coffee all over the walls is not fun to clean up.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Yeah, the machine and the coffee it makes are sometimes called the same thing. Its basically a stove top espresso maker. And if you forget the little screen and its ring seal... man that frigging sucks, let me tell you. Coffee all over the walls is not fun to clean up.

Oh no! I've done that exact same thing. Yep big mess.

I'd like to find one of those old European ornate coffee makers to put on the boat. It would be pretty cool to get one that could be refitted to work right.
Any of these would be perfect.

http://www.mrespresso.com/machines_antiques.html

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Oh no! I've done that exact same thing. Yep big mess.

I'd like to find one of those old European ornate coffee makers to put on the boat. It would be pretty cool to get one that could be refitted to work right.
Any of these would be perfect.

http://www.mrespresso.com/machines_antiques.html

I am not entirely sure, but I think I saw some espresso machines like that in Bonn Zentrum. If I pass that store again I will let you know... if it doesn't slip me...

Impetus

Electoral Member
May 31, 2007
Just a coffee making tip I've learned:

When you put the ground coffee into the basket, pack it down like the espresso guys do.
(I use the bottom of the honey jar)

It makes the water flow through the coffee slower and picks up more flavour.

You can actually cut back on the amount of coffee you use per cup.

Muz

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

When you put the ground coffee into the basket, pack it down like the espresso guys do.

Muz

Yep Laura figured that one out too. Another thing I've seen on the documentary is that Espresso is just the first bit of coffee through the machine and into the cup. Hence the tiny cups. The rest is tossed as it contains the rest of the coffee and most of the caffeine.

Another funny aspect is that wives were not allowed in the cafe but there were prostitutes. And so for a while it was thought that coffee itself cause a major drop in the libido. heh heh

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands

Muz

I stopped doing that in the Moka because it tasted awful there... I think it may depend on the machine or its age.