Nova Scotia mass shooting inquiry: Advice given to witness worries former judge

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I used my years of experience at Copy&Paste.
And the skill clearly shows, but i note that the person you quoted in that story ALSO doesn't have any experience as a police officer or investigator
this one was weighing & measuring both claims against each other.

I don't know - i see little value in repeating the arguments of the apologists. He seems to agree that it's political interference and there's really not a lot of argument against that , i think we should just deal with what it is.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Audio has now emerged providing pretty clear evidence that Lucki attempted to intervene in the Nova Scotia mass shooting investigation in order to provide political cover for a Liberal gun ban. To which Lucki is holding firm that whatever it seems is occurring on the tape, it didn’t actually happen. “I did not, nor did I attempt to interfere in the criminal investigation into the 2020 mass casualty event in Nova Scotia, on behalf of Minister Blair, or the prime minister,” she recently told the House of Commons Public Safety Committee.

The Emergencies Act inquiry has obtained texts that Lucki sent to other senior police officials calling for their support of the Emergencies Act. Basically no senior police official anywhere was calling for the Act before the Liberal government invoked it. Lucki sent a text to her Ontario Provincial Police counterpart asking “Has Minister Blair hit you up for a letter to support the EA?” When queried by reporters why she had sent this — and whether it was another attempt to provide political cover for the Liberals — Lucki replied that she didn’t know.

Reactions: Taxslave2

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Audio has now emerged providing pretty clear evidence that Lucki attempted to intervene in the Nova Scotia mass shooting investigation in order to provide political cover for a Liberal gun ban. To which Lucki is holding firm that whatever it seems is occurring on the tape, it didn’t actually happen. “I did not, nor did I attempt to interfere in the criminal investigation into the 2020 mass casualty event in Nova Scotia, on behalf of Minister Blair, or the prime minister,” she recently told the House of Commons Public Safety Committee.

The Emergencies Act inquiry has obtained texts that Lucki sent to other senior police officials calling for their support of the Emergencies Act. Basically no senior police official anywhere was calling for the Act before the Liberal government invoked it. Lucki sent a text to her Ontario Provincial Police counterpart asking “Has Minister Blair hit you up for a letter to support the EA?” When queried by reporters why she had sent this — and whether it was another attempt to provide political cover for the Liberals — Lucki replied that she didn’t know.
I know nothing , I saw nothing , I heard nothing and I did nothing . Except what my boss told me . You know I have this position thanks to the PM and the Liberal party .

Reactions: Taxslave2

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Eroding public trust in the RCMP certainly isn’t going to be helped by a recent revelation at Nova Scotia’s Mass Casualty Commission.

That is that there was a now-deleted recording of a controversial phone call between RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki and senior RCMP officers in the province that raised questions about political interference by the Trudeau government into the investigation of the mass killing in which 22 people were murdered in April 2020.

Mountie has ‘impression’ Liberal government interfered with N.S. mass shooting probe
Chief Supt. Chris Leather made the comment at the public inquiry into the rampage during cross-examination

HALIFAX — A senior Mountie testified Thursday he believes political interference was behind RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki’s determination to have police release details on the guns used in the Nova Scotia mass shooting.

MacDonald asked if Leather believed, after the officer participated in a teleconference with Lucki shortly after the shootings, that the commissioner’s comments reflected political interference in the criminal probe underway at the time.

RCMP Chief Supt. Darren Campbell has alleged that during a meeting on April 28, 2020, Lucki said she promised the Prime Minister’s Office that the information on the guns would be released in connection with the Liberal government’s “pending gun control legislation.”

The government was in the midst of drafting fresh gun control measures to reduce access to semi-automatic weapons in the days following the mass shooting. Campbell and Leather both testified this week that releasing the information on the guns would have interfered with the ongoing investigation into who provided the killer with the semi-automatic weapons.

Lucki has denied interfering in the police investigation. Blah, blah, blah, etc..
We don’t know how this could have happened , trust us .
….and she’s out. Retirement March 17th, announced the day after the Ethics Commissioner bails out.
Beleaguered RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki is leaving her post as head of the Mounties.

In a public statement, Commissioner Lucki said she has decided to retire. Her last day will be March 17.

Back in November, however, Commissioner Lucki, who has dealt with a series of controversies that has put the Trudeau government on the defensive, said she did not want to step aside. Her five-year term would have come up for renewal in March.

The Globe and Mail reported last November, citing three unnamed senior government officials, that the federal cabinet was dissatisfied with her stewardship of the RCMP. They pointed to what they call her poor communication skills and the mishandling of major files such as the Nova Scotia mass shooting, the Emergencies Act and systemic racism within the RCMP.

The Globe and Mail reported last November, citing three unnamed senior government officials, that the federal cabinet was dissatisfied with her stewardship of the RCMP. They pointed to what they call her poor communication skills and the mishandling of major files such as the Nova Scotia mass shooting, the Emergencies Act and systemic racism within the RCMP.

In the end, she’s still a female, Trudeau has a bus to throw them under, it’s 2015-ish, gender balance something something feminism etc…

Conservative public safety critic Raquel Dancho reacted to news of Commissioner Lucki’s exit, calling on Minister Blair to leave his post as well “for misleading Canadians about political interference and pressure he and his government placed” on the top Mountie in relation to the Nova Scotia mass killing. “One of the responsible parties is stepping down, but that does not exonerate the other. Now is the time for Minister Blair to do the right thing and resign,” says Ms. Dancho.

Tomorrow is another day. That is all.

Reactions: petros

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
….and she’s out. Retirement March 17th, announced the day after the Ethics Commissioner bails out.
Beleaguered RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki is leaving her post as head of the Mounties.

In a public statement, Commissioner Lucki said she has decided to retire. Her last day will be March 17.

Back in November, however, Commissioner Lucki, who has dealt with a series of controversies that has put the Trudeau government on the defensive, said she did not want to step aside. Her five-year term would have come up for renewal in March.

In the end, she’s still a female, Trudeau has a bus to throw them under, it’s 2015-ish, gender balance something something feminism etc…

Conservative public safety critic Raquel Dancho reacted to news of Commissioner Lucki’s exit, calling on Minister Blair to leave his post as well “for misleading Canadians about political interference and pressure he and his government placed” on the top Mountie in relation to the Nova Scotia mass killing. “One of the responsible parties is stepping down, but that does not exonerate the other. Now is the time for Minister Blair to do the right thing and resign,” says Ms. Dancho.

Tomorrow is another day. That is all.
She must not have walked lockstep .

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Senior Mounties either retired or in new jobs following N.S. mass shooting
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Michael MacDonald
Published Mar 28, 2023 • Last updated 1 day ago • 6 minute read

HALIFAX — As a public inquiry prepares for the release of its final report into the 2020 Nova Scotia mass shooting, its findings are sure to refocus the spotlight on the RCMP’s problem-plagued response to the 13-hour rampage that claimed 22 lives.

Almost three years after a man disguised as a Mountie started murdering people in Portapique, N.S., on the night of April 18, 2020, the senior RCMP officers and staff involved in the tragic case have all either retired or moved into new jobs.

Christopher Schneider, a sociology professor at Brandon University in Manitoba, says there’s no guarantee the inquiry’s findings will have much impact on the RCMP’s senior ranks.

“Police accountability is not easily realized, even in the most grave of circumstances,” said Schneider, who has published extensively on policing issues.

“Given how grave it was and how many people lost their lives … the RCMP could have, at the very least, demoted or meted out some sort of punishment to show the public that they were taking it seriously.”

The commission of inquiry, which started public hearings in February 2022, is scheduled to release its final reports and recommendations on Thursday.

The following is a recounting of the roles played in April 2020 by senior RCMP officers and staff, and a look at where they have ended up.

Commissioner Brenda Lucki, RCMP commanding officer.

Then: As the head of the national police force, Lucki attracted national attention on April 19, 2020, when she upstaged junior officers in Nova Scotia by revealing that at least 17 people had been killed by the lone gunman — a number that was significantly higher than police had first confirmed. At the time, the Mounties in Nova Scotia had told the public that “in excess of 10” had been killed, even though senior officers knew the growing death toll stood at 17.

Lucki was back in the spotlight last June when the inquiry released notes from an internal RCMP meeting on April 28, 2020. The handwritten pages from RCMP Supt. Darren Campbell said Lucki had promised the prime minister that the RCMP would release descriptions of the weapons used by the killer because the information “was tied to pending gun control legislation.”

Critics accused Lucki of interfering in a police investigation, but the commissioner denied the allegation.

On Aug. 25, Lucki apologized for the RCMP’s failure to meet public expectations during and after the mass shooting.

“I don’t think we were what you wanted us to be or what you needed us to be,” Lucki said near the end of her second day of testimony before the inquiry.

Where is she now? Lucki retired on March 17.

Assistant commissioner Lee Bergerman, RCMP commanding officer in Nova Scotia.

Then: Bergerman was the first Mountie to speak to the public about the rampage during a televised news conference on April 19, 2020. During her two-minute statement, Bergerman said: “Today is a devastating day for Nova Scotia and it will remain etched in the minds of many for years to come. What has unfolded overnight and into this morning, is incomprehensible and many families are experiencing the loss of a loved one.”

In July 2021, Bergerman found herself under scrutiny for a potential conflict of interest after her husband, retired RCMP staff sergeant Mike Butcher, was forced to resign from an internal RCMP team tasked with providing information to the inquiry.

On Aug. 23, 2022, Bergerman told the inquiry the RCMP should communicate better with the public and learn more about the communities it is policing.

During her testimony, she said she was aware some senior officers in Nova Scotia complained about her performance following the shooting rampage.

Her response? “I completely disagreed with them.”

Where is she now? Bergerman retired from the RCMP in October 2021 after serving 35 years as a Mountie.

Chief Supt. Chris Leather, Nova Scotia RCMP criminal operations officer.

Then: Leather stood beside Bergerman when the Mounties held their first news conference after the massacre. He fielded questions from journalists that night and over the next few days. But the inquiry determined that the RCMP’s initial statements to the public were riddled with mistakes, confusion and omissions.

It was Leather who told Canadians that “in excess of 10” people had died at the hands of the gunman, even though the RCMP knew the actual number at that time was 17.

“There were a number of questions I wasn’t prepared for … having the limited experience I had in those types of scenarios,” he told the inquiry on July 27, 2022. “That’s what led to some of the incorrect accounting. I’ll say it right now: obviously I missed the mark on more than a couple occasions.”

For days, Leather and other senior Mounties withheld other key information from the public, including the victims’ names and basic details regarding the weapons used by the killer — information that senior Mounties in Ottawa had asked to be released.

Where is he now? Leather became interim commander of the Nova Scotia RCMP after Bergerman left, but he returned to his previous position in May 2022. Three months later, he joined a federal policing modernization team at RCMP headquarters in Ottawa.

Supt. Darren Campbell, Nova Scotia RCMP officer in charge of support services.

Then: After Leather’s shaky performance before the cameras, Campbell was tasked with handling the RCMP’s news conferences.

As the public face of the RCMP, Campbell was less gaffe-prone, but he would eventually come under intense scrutiny over four pages of handwritten notes he wrote during the tense meeting on April 28, 2020 — nine days after the mass killing.

The notes sparked controversy in Ottawa, where the opposition Tories and New Democrats accused the governing Liberals of interfering in a police investigation for political gain — assertions denied by the government and Lucki.

As he concluded his testimony before the inquiry, Campbell addressed the victims’ families.

“I apologize for failing,” he said, drawing a deep breath and sobbing. “I haven’t cried for two and a half years, and I’m truly sorry that we failed you. And I promise that we’ll do better.”

Where is he now? Campbell was promoted to chief superintendent last year. He is now the criminal operations officer with the New Brunswick RCMP.

Lia Scanlan, Nova Scotia RCMP director of strategic communications.

Then: Scanlan was responsible for how the RCMP communicated with the public during and after the mass shooting.

During her testimony before the inquiry, she broke down in tears as she admitted that the unclear practices her team used to alert the public led to confusion and crucial delays.

She confirmed that the RCMP’s first tweet about the events in Portapique, N.S., on the night of April 18, 2020, was inaccurate, as it described what was happening as a “firearms complaint,” even though the Mounties were aware at least three people had been shot to death.

Scanlan also confirmed there were unacceptable delays in alerting the public to the fact that the killer was driving a car that looked exactly like a marked RCMP cruiser.

“Just know that, if I could go back and have those minutes disappear, I would do anything,” Scanlan said when asked if anything should be changed to prevent such delays. “I just need people to know that. And we’ll do better.”

Where is she now? Scanlan assumed the role of strategic adviser to the commanding officer of the Nova Scotia RCMP in January 2022.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Nova Scotians had hoped the inquiry would figure out two basic things: How the shooter was able to plan his massacre without detection (and how future such shooters might be stopped), and whether the killings could have been stopped earlier than they were.

But commissioners were quick to dramatically expand the scope of the probe into all manner of social inquiry. Last May, for instance, they were reviewing commissioned reports from a U.S. academic on whether “masculinity” was at fault for the massacre.

So, perhaps unsurprisingly, the final report went well beyond the simple question of how a man was able to obtain an arsenal of illegal firearms and murder 22 people while disguised as a police officer. As the commission wrote in a Thursday statement “it will take all of us, across our country, working together to tackle the significant challenges, to turn the tide, on the underlying causes of violence in our communities.” The official title of the final report? Turning the Tide Together.

Commissioners also recommended Canadian police should be forced to get college degrees. Rather than RCMP going into uniform after training in Saskatchewan, the Commission said that they – and every other Canadian police officer – should have to get three-year bachelor’s degrees from the Canadian Police College.

The firearms used in the massacre were illegally obtained from the United States, but the inquiry recommended massive bans on legal firearms anyway. Specifically, the report said that Ottawa should “prohibit all semi-automatic handguns and all semi-automatic rifles and shotguns that discharge centre-fire ammunition and that are designed to accept detachable magazines with capacities of more than five rounds.” This is not far off from the sweeping gun ban recently pursued by the Trudeau government, only to be abandoned following near-universal condemnation from hunting and First Nations groups.

The Commission was hard on the RCMP, and pointed out a few areas in which the police could have properly alerted the public and prevented the massacre from spreading unchecked into a second day. In particular, the report highlighted two victims who would likely still be alive if the Mounties had been quicker in their public communications. The RCMP-critical focus of the report was a surprise to the families of victims, who had often criticized the inquiry for being soft on the police, such as an early proposal to allow senior Mounties to avoid cross-examination on the grounds that it would cause undue trauma?

The shooter was pretty indiscriminate about killing both men and women, but like many mass shooters he had a history of domestic violence. As such, the commissioners recommended that Ottawa declare gender-based violence a national “epidemic” and appoint a national commissioner for gender-based violence.